Sorry,MEU3 again.no need to panick??

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Re: Sorry,MEU3 again.no need to panick??

Post by Lincoln »

The MEU3 cannot be obtained unless you have an MEU1. :mrgreen:
All things are possible
josef k

Post by josef k »

Also, as you must be resident for 5 years and residency is evidenced by a MEU1, then it is logical to have to hold a MEU1 for 5 years prior to applying for a MEU3.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

But what if you have 5 years worth of Social Insurance contributions?

Shane
jeba

Post by jeba »

josef k wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:34 pm Also, as you must be resident for 5 years and residency is evidenced by a MEU1, then it is logical to have to hold a MEU1 for 5 years prior to applying for a MEU3.
There are other ways to prove that you have been living here (e. g.credit catrd statements, telephone/electricity bills etc.). Would those be sufficient?
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:36 am though I'm not sure whether you are required to have held this for 5 years.
That´s the interesting part of my question. Does anybody know the answer?
tyelaw47

Post by tyelaw47 »

I do take your point Jeba although I confess I don't know the answer. If you were to apply for the MEU3 with proof of residing in Cyprus for more than 5 years but with no MEU1 then you are showing that you have been living here illegally it would seem.What the result of this would be I have no idea and maybe best to ask Gwenny.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

The fine for not applying for the MEU1 , I don’t think it’s ever been enforced .

5. Failure to comply with the registration requirement shall render the person concerned liable to a financial penalty up to €2.562,90.
Last edited by Mrblobby on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:24 am
Mrblobby wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:13 am The fine for not applying for the MEU1 , I don’t think anyone has ever been fined
How would you know this?
Obviously I don’t know for certain , that’s why I said “I think”

But I am sure if say 5 brits were fined for not having an MEU1 , it would hit the headlines .
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Surely the old MEU1 (yellow slip from Cyprus Immigation) is a pre-2004 requirement, before Cyprus joined the EU?

After that, EU 'Freedom of Movement' rules would have applied, with no bureaucratic forms to fill in locally. So how does anyone work out that a UK citizen who has lived in Cyprus for the past 5 years WITHOUT having a yellow slip, has been doing so illegally?

AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Hi Al, the MEU1 is a certificate of registration which is the legal requirement for all EU citizens living in Cyprus. Registration must take place within 4 months of moving here permanently. It came into effect after Cyprus joined the EU. Unfortunately the Cypriot authorities decided to make it 'yellow' thus confusing it with the old system 'yellow slip' residence permit which no longer exists. Had they changed it to blue for example, there would have been far less confusion. So although there is freedom of movement, it is legal for countries to require the registration of your presence. Many EU countries have similar rules.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
jeba

Post by jeba »

PaphosAL wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:08 am After that, EU 'Freedom of Movement' rules would have applied, with no bureaucratic forms to fill in locally.
Where did you get that from? It´s simply not true. There are conditions to the right of free movement.

Lofos-Jan wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:15 am So although there is freedom of movement, it is legal for countries to require the registration of your presence. Many EU countries have similar rules.
Not only can they require you to register but they can also demand that you have provide proof of health insurance and sufficient finances to make a living.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:24 am
Mrblobby wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:13 am The fine for not applying for the MEU1 , I don’t think anyone has ever been fined
How would you know this?
They declare the fine on their website http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf ... enDocument
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

It has been mentioned that once we have our meu3 , at some date we will have to exchange it for some other , form or card . As we will no longer be EU , it sounds funny that we will be “Third country nationals”

Is this it ?
41CB384D-FE9A-45AF-812D-AFA2A06DC4CC.jpeg
41CB384D-FE9A-45AF-812D-AFA2A06DC4CC.jpeg (181.69 KiB) Viewed 5107 times
I know this sample is a temporary one , but they do have 6 other versions .

Residence permit for third country nationals (except family members of EU citizens) establishing identity and nationality: six different versions:
1."IMMIGRATION PERMIT" with the possibility of a limited or an unlimited validity;
2."LONG-TERM PERMIT-EC" with the possibility of either a limited or an unlimited validity;
3."FAMILY REUNIFICATION PERMIT" with the possibility of either a limited or an unlimited validity;
4."EU BLUE CARD" with a limited validity;
5."CY FAMILY MEMBER PERMIT" with a limited validity; 6."TEMPORARY PERMIT" with a limited validity
In the case of an unlimited permit, the expiry date is replaced by the word "UNLIMITED"

ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I would swop "have to exchange it" with "may have to exchange it"! Again, all speculation as usual :roll:

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

ApusApus wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:25 pm I would swop "have to exchange it" with "may have to exchange it"! Again, all speculation as usual :roll:

Shane
Why would we be treated any differently than any other third country national; are we special? I believe Mr Blobby is Blob on.😕

Jim
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I'm not, however that was the result of the vote so you need to get use to it but I somehow doubt it! ;) And maybe we will still be "free to come, go, study, live, work and set up business in any European country of our choosing" when everything is concluded, do you know that we won't because if you do then you must have a better crystal ball than I have? Don't be scared of the "light" coming towards you HiC ………………… it may be the dawning of a new era and not the dreaded train of death!

Shane
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Jim B wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:48 pm
ApusApus wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:25 pm I would swop "have to exchange it" with "may have to exchange it"! Again, all speculation as usual :roll:

Shane
Why would we be treated any differently than any other third country national; are we special? I believe Mr Blobby is Blob on.😕

Jim
And you know that because ………………………… ?

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I know as much as you but I have been dealing with Nicosia Immigration regularly for over ten years as have many of my British friends who are married to TCN,s and we are generally treated exactly the same as every other TCN Immigration applicant; no favouritism there.

Jim
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

As you say "I know as much as you", says it all really!

Shane
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

To those who are taking it for granted that the simple status quo and rights that we have here as citizens of an EU country, living in another EU country will continue unchanged after the BREXIT, particularly if UK leaves with no agreements in Place, I would say just wait and see what happens.
My husband and I moved to Cyprus in 1999, from the UK about 5 yrs before Cyprus joined the EU. In those days, dealing with Immigration was a different ball game. Getting a pink slip ( as it was then called) was not so easy. Every document you can think of was required to be brought with you ( in case it was asked for). You had to produce evidence of a good bank balance and proof that you could maintain your self in Cyprus without state help. You needed to have proof that you had found somewhere to live. You also needed evidence of Health Insurance, if under pensionable age. It was difficult for expats to work here legally, unless they were married to a Cypriot. Foreigners wanting to start a business had to have a Cypriot partner as well as evidence of sufficient funds, in those days immigration did not have an appointment system. Practice was to turn up and queue v early about 6 -6.30am, outside immigration until its doors opened about 8am. You had to come early to try to ensure that you would be near the top of the queue. Only about 20 tickets would be given out usually for that morning. Without a ticket you could stay and wait to see if there was any time left for someone to see you. Otherwise you would have to repeat the procedure another morning. Then although we were British, in Cypriot eyes we were from the rest of the world, though not actually 3rd country nationals. Unless the UK reaches a proper agreement with the EU before March, we will have to wait and see what the Govt and the Immigration dept require.
Hopefully as Theresa May has been making friendly noises about all EU citizens who are currently living and working in the UK can continue to remain there after Brexit, hopefully British expats in Cyprus will be allowed similar conditions...
Dee