Complex committee

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Coopers

Complex committee

Post by Coopers »

Morning all we live on a large 62 unit complex in peyia,we need to set up a committee how difficult is this and what obligations come with this .thanks
Uncle D

Re: Complex committee

Post by Uncle D »

Hi
Here is some literature you need to read, the second link can be a bit tedious but the first should get you started. You need to get the contact details of all owners, email is always the best way, as you can email all at once.

http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers. ... /id=003397

http://www.cyprus-property-buyers.com/f ... gs-law.pdf

http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers. ... /id=003525
David
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Thanks
No, you cannot take anyone to court until you are a legal committee all outstanding debt is unfortunately lost. All you can do is try to pressurise people into paying it.
You can ask for contact details etc from the previous management, but they are not obliged to give it. But you can get property sizes for fee charges from the land registry
David
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

There's a very active Facebook Group called "Apartment Complex Committees Paphos" that is a mine of information.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:15 pm Interesting, so,does that mean when a committee is formed...all outstanding debt is written off! I am not sure If the "developer" in our case would accept that!
I am not an expert on that part, but if the developers are the legal management then they should take the non payers to court, technically it is not their money, it belongs to the complex/owners.
Usually it seems that developers just simply put the fees up to cover the non payers, its easier.
Last edited by Uncle D on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I have no idea who owns the debt.
David
harveywinning

Post by harveywinning »

Hi

On our complex in Peyia we formed a management committee around four years ago. We should have done it sooner as our communal charges are now much lower and more importantly the complex is in a much better state of repair and looks far smarter that it ever was. We have no real issues with collecting the communal charges and everyone pays. The complex used to be maintained by the developer, however the charges were never transparent and several times we were suspicious that we had been charged for work that had never been carried out. We also believe the developer put a mark up on the bills from the sub contractors they used and they also charged a sizeable admin fee which we felt was out of all proportion.

Just do it!
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

The debt is not owned by the Management Committee but is owed to the complex by those owners who have not paid their communal fees so therefore the debt is transferred. If you have a loan on a property for example then you still have a loan on that property even if it is sold on and it still has to be repaid?

Shane
Coopers

Post by Coopers »

Thanks for all the replies,I saw a lawyer to day he told us the debt belongs to the people owning the property he also said they can not get title deeds unless fully paid up ,also if they sell ,the debt should get paid and they get the balance I did ask who gets that money he didn't really know,but I believe the money should go to the complex.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

"Should" is the operative word! Technically, when a communal property is sold all outstanding fees including communal ones should be cleared but from first hand experience this is not the case!

Shane
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:35 pm "Should" is the operative word! Technically, when a communal property is sold all outstanding fees including communal ones should be cleared but from first hand experience this is not the case!
Shane
That can happen when an apartment is sold privately 'under the radar of the authorities'.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Coopers wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:02 am Morning all we live on a large 62 unit complex in peyia,we need to set up a committee how difficult is this and what obligations come with this .thanks
I've sent you a PM.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I don't unfortunately agree with the lawyer. I understand that unpaid communal fees cannot stop the issue of title deeds. I may be wrong but this is what I have been advised and I am pretty sure this is correct.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
JimX

Post by JimX »

Jeanne correct.

This is a perpetual problem with shared pools, but as for not getting Title Deeds because of outstanding service charge this cannot be the case, as we did some years ago get our Title Deeds, and money was owed and recorded for pool maintenance. We have run our own pool committee for many years. This is the way to go usually.
Jim.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Only debts such as unpaid IPT will prevent the issue of Title Deeds. Unpaid maintenance fees will not. However, if a legal committee places a prohibition on a property at the Land Registry then before the property can be transferred such prohibitions must be cleared. Having said this, it is not an easy procedure to get a prohibition registered against a property at the Land Registry. Seems to me that the legal system here in Cyprus is not on the side of law abiding citizens by loading a load of bureaucratic procedures in the way of the innocent seeking redress.