Private photo voltaic installations up 3.4% in 2016

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Private photo voltaic installations up 3.4% in 2016

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Slowly slowly people realize that the installation PV on their private homes
is a very good investment unlike to have the money at the banks...

Todays CMail report

http://cyprusbusinessmail.com/?p=40620#prettyPhoto

+++ ADMIN EDIT +++

The above link has been corrected at the request of the poster. Some of the comments below may now seem a bit odd, but the original link didn't work.
trevnhil

Re: Private photo voltaic installations up 3.4% in 2016

Post by trevnhil »

I think that the system would be an added bonus point for a property if you were selling it. Just like double glazing or Central heating, or even safety fencing around a pool.

Trev..
Trev..
Houdinibun

Post by Houdinibun »

Hopefully we are having this installed by the end of the month...
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We had our system installed late in 2015, and have not paid for any electricity after the first meter reading. We have also felt free to use the aircon more than we would usually have done.
I don't envisage paying for electricity again in the foreseeable future.

Trev..
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

LLoyd

The expensive part of a net-metering system are the panels (modules) which have a live span of >40 years.
As there is no moving part nothing will happen when it works the first day. Different is the electronic part
of the inverter but there is a 15 years guarantee from certain brands if something goes wrong.
So no worry if you can take on a old system (you will be only lucky to get one)
Max
JimX

Post by JimX »

Fitting these units is a great idea but only if you are of an age that will cover the cost, I had a couple of quotes for these units and came very close to having them fitted, then I thought about the 6K/7K and how long it would take to cover the cost, I then thought for someone of my age I may never cover the cost in my lifetime, you may think you are getting free power but 6K cost is not free until you cover this cost, 6K/7K is a lot of power bills, so not for us unfortunatly, and if I make it to an age the cost would cover I may well kick myself, it needs a lot of thought for older members to consider buying into.

I still think good insulation and decent window system is a better way to go, but if time is not a problem go for both. :)
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Fortunately our installation was not the same high price that Allesley quotes (6K/7K)

I also note that electricity prices are to increase by 4.5% this Month..

Trev..
Trev..
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Come on Trev
Spill the beans how much did yours cost ?
And more importantly for some, is that price still available now.
If i lived in Cyprus permanently I would very much consider having this fitted.
Al
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The price is no Secret. Without checking we paid 5,200 euros.. And as mentioned before we do not pay for any electricity now as we produce more than we consume. During Summer we do not have to think 'Oh we can't afford to use the aircon' We just put it on when we need it usually in the afternoons.

Trev..
Trev..
The animal lady

Post by The animal lady »

We had a 3kw system installed last May, and in addition to running our pool pump and air conditioning more in the summer we accumulated over 800 kw in free electricity which we have used to run our air conditioning units as a source of heating where in the past we have used our log burner or our gas central heating. We are due to have our meters read any day now, and our excess electricity is now under 100kw. Therefore not only are our electricity bills non existent save for paying the standing charges, but our gas and wood bills have been reduced by about 400 euros a year, so in nine months we reckon to have saved at least 1200 euros with the PV system. Continuing at this rate our payback time will be under five years. We also feel that were we to sell our property it would be an additional selling point.
JimX

Post by JimX »

The two quotes I had were for twelve panels Trev, I could have paid less with fewer panels and a less expensive Inverter but that would not have been a good idea we thought, I did say Trev they are a good idea basically but ones age comes into the equation, my electric bills are never that high and living where we do we do not need CH either, as I also mentioned 6.5K is a lot of electric bills, a matter of choice I guess.
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We have 12 panels on our installation and even on this winters day they are producing 2.5 kw per hr.
If someone does not have high electricity bills then of course it will take a lot longer for the pay back period to end.

Trev..
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

We paid a little less than Trev from the same supplier. Highly recommended. As we were a bit late in the year installing it we used up our net credit by the end of December (we have electric underfloor heating) but by my calculations, after the net metering is zeroed by EAC at the end of this month and we start a full year we should just be paying the flat rate going forward, perhaps plus a little on the final bill of the year. Our pool is run on a separate PV system we've had since day one. Our total enegery bill,- heating, lighting, cooking, pool etc should be about €20 pcm. No gas or wood burner. We don't need AC either. - insulation is king!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Who was your supplier? We've gone with Solar Technologies.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ian and I both used Andy at Solartec. which sounds to be the same company ..

Trev..
Trev..
darrow

Post by darrow »

I think when discussing the merits of P.V. panels a wider picture is a good idea. It is not just about making a return on the investment. Not having to worry about carrying heavy gas bottles or stacking logs away and the associated mess with a log burner needs to be taken into account as you age. The savings made on not using these types of heating too. It is so much easier to pick up a remote control to turn your heating on and a 2 monthly bill for standing charge only of just over €31 is attractive. For us it was never about returns or how much electric we could buy for that money, although electric is going up so a quicker return on your investment seems likely, it was about convenience and especially if the lady of the house should happen to be widowed. The gas bottles are heavy and some logs can need chopping before use. No brainer for us!
JimX

Post by JimX »

darrow

We never carried a gas bottle, we use tanker to fill our gas tank.

I do agree a long term investment, as older folks here will probably never get a return from voltaic driven electricity cost, it is a great idea if time restriction are not involved, if I was younger for sure we would have these on our roof, even if many do not like the look of them, and if you are putting pannels up for any other reasons say selling your property then this is another matter all together.

Go for them but think hard first, 6K is a lot of electricity bills.
Jim.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Allersley,
It seems that no argument about the pros and the lack of cons about using photo voltaic power will convince you to use it! But it does make sense to use the abundant sunshine in Cyprus to provide yourself with cheap electricity!
My photo voltaic panels are guaranteed for 20 years and the inverter for 15. There are no moving parts to go wrong.
Dee
JimX

Post by JimX »

Dee good morning.

I have never said I do not think it is a good idea, but it will not be free electricity for many years you must consider your electricity you actually pay for, our bills are low as our home is small and easily heated without CH, it is up to the individual to consider just how long it would take to pay for the equipment, in our case about ten years or so, again our bills are low per year, if you are a heavy users then great go with them, but there is more than one side to this discussion, it is not free electricity until the equipment is paid for, this is my point not that I do not think it was or is a good investment,but only if time on this earth is regarded.

Our last years electricity cost for us was €712.96 so if you look at the cost of the Voltaic equipment for us it just does not make any sense. I have though spent far more than 6K on home insulation.

I am well aware of the benefits of this equipment and the long term forecast on reliability, but this is no guarantee your Inverter will last as long as 15 years, I have had several quote's as posted none though would give a longer guarantee than 3 years to us at least. Be interested to know what company offered you this and will they be around in fifteen years and will I be? :!:
regards
Jim.
AlanGW

Post by AlanGW »

When there is a mains power outage, do you still have power?
Alan