Courts to operate in the afternoons: 11.000 pending cases

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Courts to operate in the afternoons: 11.000 pending cases

Post by Paphos Life »

Courts will also be meeting in the afternoons in order to hear the thousands of civil law cases pending for years. In addition, 26 new judges are to be recruited. Due to the lack of suitable rooms, the judges will be using their colleagues’ rooms in the afternoons....

Read the article and chat about it below...
trevnhil

Re: Courts to operate in the afternoons: 11.000 pending cases

Post by trevnhil »

One of the problems is that time and time again you are called to court only for the case to be moved to another date. But every time you turn up with your lawyer it costs you a bundle of money..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's why they are working in the afternoons now as well, I guess. I do find it bizarre though, that they give you a court date they must know full well is completely pie in the sky. Why not be honest and give you a date 2 years away? At least then you will save in legal fees.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

After around 2 years it had cost me around €1,250 in lawyers fees. At that time both sides decided to cut their loses and pay their own lawyers... So in effect the case was never decided by a judge..
It was not just the cost, but the stress as well.
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have wondered previously why the courts here only operated in the mornings, it seems very logical to me to use them for full days. Let’s hope this will go a long way towards gradually eliminating the backlog of cases awaiting trial. I wonder if some of these restricted opening hours for courts, banks and the Post Office dated to the era before the use of air conditioning became the norm?

Dee
Varky

Post by Varky »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 pm One of the problems is that time and time again you are called to court only for the case to be moved to another date. But every time you turn up with your lawyer it costs you a bundle of money..
The very fact that one attends court only for the case to be moved to another date consumes the court's (and everybody else's) time without actually achieving any progress and just adds to the inefficiency of the whole process.