Contactless cards.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
daveg

Contactless cards.

Post by daveg »

Just been issued with new contactless card, called into Hellenic bank to be sure what the daily limits are....
€20 per transaction up to €3500 per DAY, ...with that in mind the bank have set up an SMS service that tells me when it's been used, just in case I lose it or it gets stolen...
trevnhil

Re: Contactless cards.

Post by trevnhil »

But if you lose it.... And someone else picks it up, and then uses it, although you will get an SMS it won't stop it being used and your money being stolen.. Or am I wrong with that..
Trev..
daveg

Post by daveg »

But if you don't realise it's missing you get notification that it's been used, then you can put a stop to it by phoning the bank....
Last edited by daveg on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I assume these are fairly new to Cyprus – I would suggest you get a card protector – link below – In the UK these Contactless cards have been targeted by thieves for some time now – How it works – You have your card in your pocket in a busy area – shopping mall or anywhere that you can be brushed past by another person – The thief has the card reading device in his pocket and brushes past you and Beep the card details are collected – The thief may collect several card details just by squeezing through a crowd – There are several RFID protectors available here is a link to one of them

https://amzn.to/2l5C7Ic
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Lloyd
This is a common crime in the North east of England now and it came up from London and before that America - This is not a scare story it does happen - Here is a link to one of many tales on the crime

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Lloyd you wont have an issue if you don'e lose it or have it stolen..
Trev..
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

It is very easy to bury your head in the sand - If you don't want to believe then don't - The statistics are all over the internet for everyone to see - But i forget there is no crime in paphos as Jim still says

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... irst-time/
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

You can buy a contactless card holder that protects against card crawlers as they call them in Manchester. Another easy way is to put tin foil in to your card holder on the inside where you put your card. I had a problem last week when visa went down in the UK when I kept swiping my card several times and it did not work and in the end I did chip and pin only to find on my banking system that the amount had been taken 6 times. I got it back in 4 days time but if it is a large amount it could leave you stuck. We have a limit in the UK of £30 pounds but if lost it can mount up.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

HIC this is a new crime that has just become more prevalent in recent months in the UK and other countries. Just because you have not been affected and have safe banking does not mean others can not be affected. And yes the tin foil does work.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Given that the 3 digit security code isn't revealed (which is precisely why there is a 3 digit security code) this risk of non-trivial fraud is minimal. By non-trivial I mean somebody buying something over whatever the limit (€30?) is.

Now, it is possible on some sites to make online purchases without requiring the security code, however, in the event of any fraud, the people who will lose the money will be the business taking the payment.

Paphos Life has it's own online payment system, which advertisers use to pay. It's quite neat, but a bit complicated to set up. Paphos Life never see the credit / debit card details. It is all handled by the payment gateway company. However, I can choose how much verification I want. So for instance, I can have no verification, 3 digit security code verification, or even more secure means, where, for instance, the customer has to supply all the digits in their postcode. That sort of thing.

I chose to just rely on the 3 digit code. However, if I had chosen not to need that code, and a fraud had been committed, then the reimbursement would come from my account, not the credit card company's.

Online retailers have to find a balance between protecting their arses and not making it too complicated for people to pay online.

The important thing is that you should know what the state of your bank account is at all times, so you can easily spot fraudulent activity. Also, banks are pretty good at spotting it themselves these days too. When I was in the UK, my details were twice used illegally. The second time, I found out because the bank phoned and asked me. Both times though, I was fully refunded, as it wasn't my fault.

The flip side is that occasionally, when I made an odd payment, especially in Cyprus, it would get blocked, and I would have to phone and get them to unblock it. They were always apologetic, but I would thank them for their vigilance. I didn't mind getting unnecessarily blocked occasionally if it meant by money was safer.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Figures for contactless card frauds in 2017 , so get the tinfoil out . :shock:

“ from Financial Fraud Action UK show that the total contactless fraud loss was £14 million in 2017 - that's up from £6.9 million in 2016, and £2.8 million in 2015. “

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/future- ... 3994033417

Attachments
207D51D8-E1DF-4385-B9E4-E85814209D86.jpeg
207D51D8-E1DF-4385-B9E4-E85814209D86.jpeg (29.27 KiB) Viewed 5102 times
daveg

Post by daveg »

Similar thought process to those who don't have security on their homes UNTIL the day after they've been burgled .....
J B

Post by J B »

J B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think I posted that link the last time this conversation appeared here. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

That link is very,very old information the crime has moved on a long way since then and so has the technology used – RFID readers similar to a type that I used on a daily basis to scan embeded chips in lifting gear can easily read the card from six inches away – That information can be transferred to fake bank cards within seconds and then used to make random purchases for low value items until cancelled – No body is going to walk around with a point of sale terminal because as the article says it has to be registered to a bank account – That article should be taken down as it leads the public into a false sense of security
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

This one can read from 1 metre to 1.5 metre distance with instant data capture and instant data transfer and is smaller than some mobile phones.

http://www.hhw9.net/Products/info/id/88 ... gKHOvD_BwE
kansas

Post by kansas »

What happens, though, when a wallet contains half a dozen contactless cards. I would assume they all simultaneously broadcast their codes, resulting in a meaningless jumble of data.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

No because the embeded chip is a package which has to be clicked on and opened to reveal the contained information when transferred from the PDA to the base station software – So ten bank cards = ten packages