Digital Camera

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
aphrodite

Digital Camera

Post by aphrodite »

Can anyone please recommend a good quality digital camera, I've had the current Casio for over 13 years and it has served me well, however, the battery needs replacing so thought this would be a good time to replace it with a new one. I will probably purchase via Amazon.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
:D
cyprusgrump

Re: Digital Camera

Post by cyprusgrump »

aphrodite wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:51 pm Can anyone please recommend a good quality digital camera, I've had the current Casio for over 13 years and it has served me well, however, the battery needs replacing so thought this would be a good time to replace it with a new one. I will probably purchase via Amazon.

What do you want to spend...?

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ-330 and think it is the most wonderful thing ever! :lol:

The lens is amazing! :shock:
El tel

Post by El tel »

Most phones have pretty good cameras particularly the latest Apple models. If you are looking at something a little better then consider a bridge camera. I have a Nikon with a 34 times zoom , it is less bulky than a SLR camera and has a fixed lense. To be honest some of the best photos I have taken were with my apple phone !

Terry
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I do my photos since 5 years with a Sony HX-1 and are happy with it.
Quite easy to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot-D ... B001U3ZUWO
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I use a Nikon D3100 (I moved from a point and shoot compact Canon IXUS 95 IS at the end of 2013) and bought mine on a trip back to UK from Argos. I have both the VR lenses as listed here plus a separate 35mm lens. https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Double-Zoo ... ikon+D3100
That model is now discontinued as they have moved on a little since then - but I feel I will be using mine for a long while to come yet.

I love it and am very happy I made the switch.

Although I do take photos with my mobile, there's no way I would consider a phone as my main camera - there's something rather satisfying about holding a "proper" camera when taking photos.

I also prefer to have a camera with a viewfinder, I'm not a fan of shooting in "live mode" using the viewing screen - but I've always used a camera this way, even with my little point and shoot Canon.

Hubby now has that one and we keep it as our backup camera when we go on trips as sometimes it's not always convenient to carry a larger camera around all the time. It's handy for slipping into a pocket and I'm okay with it for daytime photography but I started to get miffed by the quality on indoor photos and when the full zoom was used.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
smudger

Post by smudger »

Ha ha! Looks just like the one I have Jules! Unfortunately, unlike you I have no idea of what most of the knobs, twists and dials are for! I'm just a point and click merchant I'm afraid! And it's pretty redundant now, most pics are on the iPad :cry:
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It's really all down to what you want to do with the photos at the end of the day... If you want to just share over the internet such as facebook, websites, blogging etc you can get away with a lower quality camera or with phone / tablet photos. But if you want to print for display then you need a better quality camera....

It's not all about the camera though. Filling the field and sometimes just having an eye for that particular moment is what creates the magic. Since spending more time behind the camera I've found I notice things much more... I have no love for people or portrait photography and couldn't get remotely interested if someone asked me to take their wedding photos for them... Give me landscapes, scenery and oddities anytime or something spontaneous that grabs my train of thought - like those green bottle and can dustbin boxes ;-)
Last edited by PhotoLady on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

aphrodite wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:51 pm Can anyone please recommend a good quality digital camera, I've had the current Casio for over 13 years and it has served me well, however, the battery needs replacing so thought this would be a good time to replace it with a new one. I will probably purchase via Amazon.

There are a variety of good quality cameras on the market but as CG stated in post 2 you need to consider what budget you are looking at & in addition what type of photos you want to take & how sophisticated a camera you need for your purposes!

Shane
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Speaking of which.... My photo appears tomorrow night on Room 101...
It was snapped with my Canon IXUS compact as it was before I got my DSLR. The BBC have paid in excess of £100 for the use of it :-)
smudger

Post by smudger »

Spot on Jules, I have no eye for anything. Seriously! Clothes, home decor, views, pics.........you name it!

Give me a set of accounts any day! Come to think of it, I'm not so bright at them any more :lol: the little grey cells ain't what they used to be! My friend Sue, with whom I run the bookshop, reckons we share a brain, but it's pretty hard to define who has it sometimes!
JimX

Post by JimX »

I go with Terry always in your pocket mobile phones now have wonderful cameras also, go with one.
Jim.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Thank you all for your views and the links to Amazon US. My mind is befuddled, I've looked at a number of cameras on Amazon UK but very few traders will 'ship to Cyprus'.

This is one option, does anyone have an opinion on it, I really only want to 'point and shoot'?

CANON POWERSHOT SX620 HS Digital Camera

On Amazon UK who will ship here

X
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

aphrodite wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:26 pm Thank you all for your views and the links to Amazon US. My mind is befuddled, I've looked at a number of cameras on Amazon UK but very few traders will 'ship to Cyprus'.

This is one option, does anyone have an opinion on it, I really only want to 'point and shoot'?

X
Amazon do have a thing about batteries - they refused to ship my camera because of it.

Then I ordered from an ebay seller in Germany and that shipment was turned back by DHL because of the battery... :evil:

In the end I got them to ship the camera without the battery and ordered two batteries separately which arrived with no problems! :lol:
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Can't comment directly as I use a Canon DSLR but there are 11 reviews on B&H Corp that seem on the whole to think it's a good buy!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gital.html

Shane
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Austin7 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:11 pm As I have said before, if Amazon or anyone else, won't ship to Cyprus then use Lee's service from Hemel Hempstead. www.lhukcy.com So many of us 'Paphians' use it and it is totally reliable and economical.
Thanks, yes I know of Lee, he brought over a double divan bed for me a while back. Very reliable. :D
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

aphrodite wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:26 pm Thank you all for your views and the links to Amazon US. My mind is befuddled, I've looked at a number of cameras on Amazon UK but very few traders will 'ship to Cyprus'.

X
I found a couple of reviews here:

http://cameradecision.com/review/Canon- ... t-SX620-HS

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/product ... 620-review
JimX

Post by JimX »

Amazon De Germany, have no issues with sending compact or otherwise digital cameras out to us in Cyprus, with Lithium batteries, I have done this several times with no trouble.

https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ct+cameras
Jim.
El tel

Post by El tel »

image.jpg
image.jpg (86.55 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
I was dining at Neos and while my wife and daughter went off for a cigi took this photo with my iPhone , just loved the surreal effect.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Thank you everyone for your views and recommendations, I'm still debating and researching whether to buy a camera or go for the latest iPhone. :D
Last edited by aphrodite on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Samsung have great performing digital phone cameras and not as expensive as Apple products, whats with those over large "gifs?"
Jim.