Problems with AirBNB

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
2QuarterPints

Problems with AirBNB

Post by 2QuarterPints »

We have a problem in our small residential complex that we suspect happens quite a lot elsewhere, and any advice would be appreciated. I have searched the forum but can't find any specific threads on the topic.

For a while now, the owners of one of the apartments has let their apartment out on AirBNB when they are not here themselves, with a friend “managing” things for them. More often than not the visitors treat the complex like a Club 18/30 resort with pool parties into the small hours (0430 the record so far and they only stopped when screamed at), drinking, shouting etc in the garden at similar hours. I probably don't need to elaborate any further to give an idea of what it is like. Most of the other apartments are occupied by working families, including two with young school age children, with everyone having to get up early most mornings. The “guests” move on, without a care in the world leaving a lot of tired people behind, and complaints fall on deaf ears.

We now heard that the “manager” has made so much money from this that he is buying the apartment and it will now be on AirBNB 52 weeks of the year. We are determined to fight this to the extent that we will notify the tax authorities about the undeclared earnings, and do anything else we can think of. We know that there have been concerns recently about how much revenue is being lost by AirBNB undeclared income, with the hotel owners also kicking off about lost business.

If anyone can point us in the direction of exactly who we should be informing about our concerns it would be appreciated. I should say that we are in Kato Paphos so we don't have a handy and influential Mukhtar to talk to.

Apologies for the essay.
Last edited by 2QuarterPints on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeeMac

Re: Problems with AirBNB

Post by DeeMac »

Hi, what a dreadful situation. Maybe this article from the Cyprus Mail will help.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2018/03/28/cto- ... on-airbnb/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Surely there are rules etc for the complex? Is there not some sort of committee running the place? Who handles maintenance for the complex?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

The problem is not just with AirBnB. There are other companies out there that run similar operations. On our complex we had a similar problem last year with an unruly Brit. He had rented the property on a long term basis directly from the local Cypriot owner, even though he had relatives living close by. Our committee contacted the local owner, who did nothing. It was only the threat of contacting the local police that had any effect. Thankfully he has now moved on.
In the first instance I would advise the committee to contact the owner and explain to him that he is breaking the Immovable Property Law. Then try the police route.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

What is the immovable property law that bans you from renting out a property you own..??
Trev..
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Thanks for the advice so far. We don't have Title Deeds yet so we have no Constitution and just a small and informal committee that runs things and is very reliant on the goodwill of the owners to get things done. Hopefully Deeds are not too far away when formalising things may help.

Re his tax status, he is Eastern European so no idea where he might be registered for tax. He does have a full time job here as well so he must be paying tax somewhere. I forgot to mention that he also manages another AirBNB place as well, possibly more, plus he is in a different car every time we see him, literally, so he may be dealing cars as well. Quite an entrepreneur, which is admirable in some ways, but he epitomises the hidden economy that is costing the government so much money.

Re the IP Law, the current owners know, but don't care, and he clearly doesn't either.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Are you renting your property?
J B

Post by J B »

As Trev said - what IP law prevents renting?

I don't think that deeds are relevant towards getting a committee up and running, but maybe check with Nigel Howarth ...
http://www.cyprus-property-buyers.com/f ... fb9de2c268
J B
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

What a horrible position to be in. Hopefully you can get it sorted very quickly. My sympathies to you, for what it's worth.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And fight fire with fire. If they are partying until 4:30 in the morning, play loud music at 8 AM. something like Trout Mask Replica, or possibily The Residents.

Play this on a loop.

2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Some really good advice coming out of this thread. Thank you.

I wish we were just renting so that we could just walk away from it all, particularly as any problems seem to come my way to sort out, despite us only being here part of the year. The great shame in all of this is that until this all kicked off our complex of just 12 apartments was a great little United Nations with Cypriots, Greeks, Romanians, Russians, Norwegians and Brits all getting along really well and pulling together to make being here a success. Just takes one bad apple to start ruining things.
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

Have you anyone managing the complex? We have one Airbnb on our complex and when a group, 8 people in 2 bedroom maisonette, would not listen to us about loud music round the pool i got them to phone the owner. To be for to him he came and spoke to them. But it is a nuisance because there is such a turnover. They are only here 2 or 3 days so are not bothered about whether they are upsetting anyone.

Prior to Airbnb we have had cases of loud pool parties from rented houses. The police are generally very good at coming especially if it is after midnight.

Last resort if it indoors as well. You know where the electricity cupboard is. They probably don't. Has been done😀
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

RattyPatty - your thoughts about the electricity cupboard have given me a warm fuzzy feeling which can only be cured by a spell of sleep walking 😁 When I do it always seems that bumping into the electricity cupboard is what wakes me up...

Apart from these problems, I was going to suggest to the owners that it is time that we paid a dedicated Manager instead of trying to sort everything out ourselves. A proper Manager would be money well spent I think.
Varky

Post by Varky »

J B wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:02 am As Trev said - what IP law prevents renting?
It doesn't cover renting of the property, I never said it did but, more to the point, it covers the behaviour of occupants of the property under Part IV (Rights and Obligations of Owners or Occupiers of Units)-Standard Regulations for the Regulation and Managemant of Jointly-Owned Buildings,Clause 8(l). That was my point.
Pafos

Post by Pafos »

I’d start with the local Mukhtar. In some areas, the Mukhtars approval is needed to let out a property. The CTO is worth a shot too.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I've always been given to understand that where a person has a long-term rental contract with the property owner, it is illegal for that tenant to sub-let it. EXCEPT for family members...

I used to take advantage of such a deal, and the tenants (back in UK on 3 month's business) always reminded me that if anyone asked, I was their nephew.

AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...
Pafos

Post by Pafos »