My electricity bill

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

My electricity bill

Post by Kili01 »

My tarif used to be 05, now it is 01. Have just rec my latest electricity bill for Feb-Apr. Shock! I thought that it was supposed to be easier to understand! Basically I have a 3 kw photo voltaic system, also a swimming pool.
I was billed for using 562 KWh, cost €51.87. By the time EAC had added a huge raft of additional charges, some old , but some new ones added including both the RES&ES fund, plus another producers RES &ES fund, and then added VA T to the lot, my total bill went from 79.34 to 140.38.

This hardly seens fair. I feel as if EAC is having a laugh and trying to make it uneconomic to produce small amounts of electricity and supply it to the national grid!

What do other members in a similar situation think?

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: My electricity bill

Post by Devil »

So, you are paying 25 c per kWh. That is pretty average. Think (1) Germans who pay an average 32 c (hooray for renewables) or (2) Frenchmen who pay 20 c (hooray for nuclear)
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

If you want to use that argument - the pensions in France & Germany are also higher!
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Sorry Dee but I'm paying on average 0.20 per kWh and both may last 2 bills have come down markedly! And we were warmer this winter than ever before but the bill came down so I guess I'm one of the winners!

Shane
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Are we saying that EAC are penalizing Dee for feeding solar-generated leccy into their grid, rather than rewarding her, by way of lower bills? If so, that's madness!

AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
jeba

Post by jeba »

Cactuslil wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:21 pm If you want to use that argument - the pensions in France & Germany are also higher!
I wish you were right. But at least for Germany you´re definitely not. Since reunification the average German pension dropped considerably (as the Easterners who never paid into the pension pot have been treated as if they had).
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Cactuslil wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:21 pm If you want to use that argument - the pensions in France & Germany are also higher!
Totally irrelevant to the thread!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Apus, do you have a PV net metering system at your house? ‘Cos that’s what my post is mainly about.
It’s not what my bill came to for my actual usage of electricity. It’s about the sheer number of extra charges imposed by EAC. It’s the extra charges which together and with VAT on top which have increased my bill nearly 3 times... How can the EAC dream them all up does anyone or any body regulate them?

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Dee, I had a similar bill almost 2 months ago. I am due a new one soon and I am hoping that all the add on's last time were a one off .. I will soon know.. Even with No electricity used I used to pay 31 euros for two months.. It will be interesting to see this next bill due this coming week.
Trev..
darrow

Post by darrow »

We lost 243 units which were in credit in February when the year ended. Because there were some colder days in March we used our air con a few times thinking that the units would go over if we were in debit to even out at the year end. Apparently, not so! We were charged for the units that were in debit. Something to remember in future. As you say Dee, the add ons are ridiculous and seem to be designed to discourage people from using panels. I don't remember anyone mentioning any of those when we were enquiring about PV panels.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Darrow,
All these new charges are just that. It’s only the 2nd bill and the largest one that I have had because of these excessive extra charges. Though because I did use the air cons a few times when the house felt cold, I used slightly more electricity than I usually do.. Previously my average bill was about €35!
Trev,
Will be interesed to know what you get charged for - when you get your next elec bill.
Dee
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Kili01 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:48 am Apus, do you have a PV net metering system at your house? ‘Cos that’s what my post is mainly about.
It’s not what my bill came to for my actual usage of electricity. It’s about the sheer number of extra charges imposed by EAC. It’s the extra charges which together and with VAT on top which have increased my bill nearly 3 times... How can the EAC dream them all up does anyone or any body regulate them?

Dee
In answer to your questions, sorry no I don't my mistake, probably yes presumably there is a regulatory body & probably they are a law unto themselves unfortunately!

Shane
darrow

Post by darrow »

Just checked my bill. €48.62 for 61 kWh! I think a trip to EAC is in order to find out how they are charging us. Seems expensive and I still don't understand why we are being charged at the beginning of the year either! Electricity consumption €5.63. Everything else is charges! So €42.99 for 2 months charges!
TLR

Post by TLR »

Perhaps the only way to avoid these costs is to have a system which generates enough electricity independently to go completely off grid.
After all, it costs a great deal of money to run a national electricity system, and the infrastructure costs, both maintenance and staffing plus the cost of assessing and generating bills plus collection have to recovered.
We are not in the position to have solar (apart from water heating) since we live in a conservation area in a very old house, and our roof and walls may not be strong enough to support the extra weight of panels.
If it were possible I would certainly do so, not just for the sake of household economy but for the reduction in fossil fuel usage, however I cannot see how it can ever become a totally cost free system, unless as I said, one becomes totally independent of the grid system.
i suspect a great many people were sold these systems by over enthusiastic companies who exaggerated the savings possible, and can only envisage that as the take up of solar systems increases, so will the service costs and additional charges levied by the electricity companies.
daveg

Post by daveg »

We too were surprised at the amount of added amounts to our last bill.Having had PV panels fitted last September.
Am awaiting for the latest bill, due soon...but I suspect a ( worthless?) Trip to the Electricity Board will be on the cards...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Perhaps if you all listed your extras you can compare notes and see what is being charged for?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Bill details dated 3/1/18 - 2/3/18.
Elect used after credit units credited 1753=€161.8
Network usage €56.27
Ancillary Services €11.75
Meter Reading €0.98
Electricity Supply €4.68
Giving total Basic Price €235.48.

Net Metering Charges.
Producers Charge (4.32kw system) €26.66
Producers Public Service Obligation €0.75
Total Net Metering Charges subject to VAT
€27.41
Fuel Adjustment €20.51
Public Service Obligation €1.14
Total Subject to VAT €284.54
RES & ES Fund €17.53
Producers RES & ES Fund €11.59
Total charges for the period before VAT €313.66
VAT 54.06

Total Charges for the period €367.72.

Phew! Now awaiting imminent bill.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

daveg wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:52 am Bill details dated 3/1/18 - 2/3/18.
Elect used after credit units credited 1753=€161.8
Network usage €56.27
Ancillary Services €11.75
Meter Reading €0.98
Electricity Supply €4.68
Giving total Basic Price €235.48.

Net Metering Charges.
Producers Charge (4.32kw system) €26.66
Producers Public Service Obligation €0.75
Total Net Metering Charges subject to VAT
€27.41
Fuel Adjustment €20.51
Public Service Obligation €1.14
Total Subject to VAT €284.54
RES & ES Fund €17.53
Producers RES & ES Fund €11.59
Total charges for the period before VAT €313.66
VAT 54.06

Total Charges for the period €367.72.

Phew! Now awaiting imminent bill.
Thank you producing the list of costs.
Obviously you had not much credit on your meter, hence your 1753 kWh. The two month Nov and Dec are sometimes very poor when it comes to production from PV as the tilt of the panels is very wrong (best ca 70%) this time of the year. On top of it we have not too much sunshine and the daylight hours are much shorter. Your bills will be much lower later in the year as from March to October you produce much more from your PV system and your credits are higher then. One has to see the whole year to be able to recognize the benefit of the own electricity production...

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Without checking that seems to be the same format as the bill I received in February..
Trev..
daveg

Post by daveg »

As I said in earlier post, PV panels only came live from September last year.
Need to do a full year before judgement of the economic benefits.
Just surprised me as to how many extras were lumped on to the bill....