Theft from your baggage

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Re: Theft from your baggage

Post by Lincoln »

We use a suitcase which is very bright colour. It has no zips. It has two combo locks as well as a clasp lock. In all my international travels over many many years-never ever been broken into the cases. Secondly we always wrap round the case a sticker which says FRAGILE handle with care. Worked so far.
All things are possible
Kia Picanto

Post by Kia Picanto »

Hand luggage only, which is always within sight. Jet2 allow 10 kilos hand luggage, which is more than enough for our trips back and forth to Cyprus. It's amazing how much stuff you can pack :-)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

In the past I've had my bags cut with box cutters, locks cut off and loads of stuff stolen that's why I never put anything of value in my bag. They run bags through security scanners just as a pretext to see if there's anything of any vaĺue. Combination locks can be zoomed in on the scanner and easily opened as can little padlock. It's all there on Youtube
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

I see little point in taking massive precautions to guard against breaking into a product that can be easily broken into. Most of the lightweight cases which are so useful in these days of lower luggage allowances, are fabric sided. Any thief can easily gain entry with a blade.

I must say that I have never experienced a theft from a case (I'll probably regret writing that!) and have delegated the financial problem to my travel insurance company. As such I would not pay 14.99 for a protection device unless the insurance company took it off the premium!

I'll also add that I would not pay 14.99 for anything unless I knew what it was and whether it worked.

Pete
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

I also travel an awful lot for work & leisure & touch wood have not had a problem so far.
We don't keep valuables in our cases either & IMO if somebody wants to get into your case no matter how sturdy or what locks / Clingfilm you have it's not going to stop them.
hammer

Post by hammer »

no
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Like others have said I don't pack anything of value in my hold baggage. I have zip up cases and use a coloured band with its own digital lock to help secure my suitcase. I thread the band under the handle. At one time LGW and LHR had bad reputations regarding theft from passangers suitcases. With a relative in security there I was warned about this practice among some baggage handlers. Similarly I don't use expensive branded luxury suitcases as they are more likely to attract unwelcome attention.
If carrying anything of value it would be in my hand carry on bag.
Dee
smudger

Post by smudger »

"..and we use brightly coloured straps......"

But can these not just be cut with a good pair of scissors or shears?
smudger

Post by smudger »

"......My padlock is padlocked in one place, so the zipper cannot be moved. The case can never be resealed if it's been tampered with."

But does that stop anyone actually opening the zip FF?? I ask as on our last trip to UK I left the keys to the padlocks on the desk in the room in Ipswich. When we got to Hull I realised the problem. Granddaughter amazed me by opening one of the cases using a small pair of scissors. The other one proved beyond her housebreaking capabilities, so I just busted the zip with the same scissors and opened it. Result was one useless case, but we had our clothes and possessions for the next week! Like many others I pack nothing of value in cases, but dread the hassle of claiming at the airport, with insurance etc etc.
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

I tried the ball point pen trick today ! it is really that easy to undo the zipper and re- seal it !!! a good trick if you lose your padlock keys though. Simon, please PM me once you start selling your product as might be interested.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Hi Mark, good to see you here!

Jacs
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

Hi Jacs, thanks, hope you are well :) x
smudger

Post by smudger »

Great thanks Mark!

We now have one zipped case and one hard sided case. Hopefully, the zipped case will be replaced with another hard sided case before our April trip. Will never buy zipped cases again, tho the hard sided cases seem pretty rare wherever I've looked both Uk and Cyprus and damned expensive! But I do think this is the way to go.

Problem is the weight, but many of the newest hard sided cases are pretty light. It will be my preferred choice.

Of course, it will depend on me remembering the coded key :roll: Given my ever decreasing memory may have to have it tattooed on my arm :lol:
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

smudger wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:46 pm "......My padlock is padlocked in one place, so the zipper cannot be moved. The case can never be resealed if it's been tampered with."

But does that stop anyone actually opening the zip FF?? I ask as on our last trip to UK I left the keys to the padlocks on the desk in the room in Ipswich. When we got to Hull I realised the problem. Granddaughter amazed me by opening one of the cases using a small pair of scissors. The other one proved beyond her housebreaking capabilities, so I just busted the zip with the same scissors and opened it. Result was one useless case, but we had our clothes and possessions for the next week! Like many others I pack nothing of value in cases, but dread the hassle of claiming at the airport, with insurance etc etc.
No it doesn't Jacs - but the main reason behind the initial post is that people who have their suitcases broken into in this manner aren't aware they had stuff stolen until they return home as on the outside, nothing is untoward with their baggage.

If the zipper cannot be slid back around the suitcase after if has been opened, it's fully visible as soon as you collect your case - which means you can make the PIR form completion before leaving the baggage collection area as per their requirements.
No report at the time often means no claim will be entertained after the event, either by insurers or directly with the airline/carrier.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
smudger

Post by smudger »

Ah right, understand your point now.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, it is quite obvious if someone breaks the zip on your suitcase, thus leaving no doubt it has been broken into. So far no one has bothered with my inexpensive suitcases! Thiefs must know which bags are the most likely to contain expensive contents! Anyway, if you have nothing of value in your suitcase thats one less thing to worry about! Judging by the number of this type of baggage seen on the conveyor belts at airports, they are very popular being lighter than the more robust hard sided suitcases. With some airlines clamping down on the weight of hold bags, a lighter suitcase does have this advantage.
Deea
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

When using a grip or zip sided case in the past I always secured the zip tag/slider to the end of its run with a small cable tie. Stops the inquisitive from taking a little look inside.
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

I've not looked into this but I wonder where all this opening and stealing items from bags takes place. I assume it must be baggage handlers behind the scenes. To select bags from the hundreds appearing, move them to a suitable place, open them and remove goods which then have to be stored somewhere seems to be quite a feat. They then have to have a means of removing the stolen items from the airport. Surely they are subject to camera scrutiny and other security measures?

Pete
bigfathen

Post by bigfathen »

Doesn't answer the question but worth mentioning, always carry meds. in hand luggage.
Woking & Neo Chorio
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

When mine was cut with a blade it was cut so well I didn't even realise until I arrived home. As Dee wrote the only sure way is not to put valuables in hold luggage, these people can get into anything.