Wet wipes

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Wet wipes

Post by Devil »

The UK proposes to ban wet wipes, because people flush them down the toilet and they eventually break up into polluting minute plastic particles.

Unfortunately, as a result of intense radiotherapy, I don't have total control of my defaecation, resulting in DBS (dirty bottom syndrome). It is not very practical to shower n-times/day but wet wipes are a reasonable solution and I've been using them for many years, when necessary. I know of no other solution: toilet paper is useless, a wet soft cloth would clean, but reusable???

I should state that I have never flushed a wettie. When I lived in Switzerland, used ones went to a Waste-to-Energy plant to generate electricity simply and hygienically in a polyethylene bag, along with my nappies. In Cyprus, this luxury does not exist and the bag ends up in a landfill, surely not the ideal but we have no choice.

A ban on wet wipes would, selfishly speaking, be a disaster for me and for possibly millions in the world who have similar problems, including babies. OTOH, stern warnings against flushing them would solve the problem.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Wet wipes

Post by Dominic »

When I was unblocking the septic tank last year I was amazed at the amount of wet wipes that were down there.

If there is a medical use for them, perhaps have them available on prescription?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

There are flush able wet wipes already in the UK, buy them from Tescos..
WHL

Post by WHL »

The thing is they are not being banned in Cyprus, so he dosnt have a problem getting them here.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:27 pm There are flush able wet wipes already in the UK, buy them from Tescos..
NO! NO! NO! They are a myth if they are strong enough not to disintegrate as you use them.

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-4702508%2FCustomer-fury-Aldi-s-flushable-toilet-wipes.html&usg=AOvVaw24Z648enRtpxB6OztRNUV2

:twisted: :twisted:

Devil is NOT reassured!
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I agree with Flossie, given enough incentive I'm sure the companies manufacturing wet wipes will be able to develop a genuine biodegradable version but in the meantime .............

Shane
WHL

Post by WHL »

Well we have been buying and using them when in London, it says you can flush them down the loo? surely Tesco would of had them checked out?
robf

Post by robf »

Not sure if it would help but...
We have a additional hand spray (like a little shower head) adjacent to each toilet and they are very effective at cleaning tushes :). Toilet paper is only needed to dry the aforementioned tush.
Although we have a mixer valve you can just add one to the toilet cold water supply at minimal cost. It is the most effective solution I could think of and cuts down drastically on paper going down the loo. Also is uber gentle especially if you are cleaning the area many times a day, ahhhhh.
It is also great for cleaning the toilet, doing away with the need for a toilet brush.
After much trial and error we found this one to be the best, by far.
https://www.bidet-shower.co.uk/bidet-sh ... t-cleaner/
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

In Finland, every toilet has these hand sprays next to them. Controlled by temperature from the tap and then activated by a simple press.... better than a separate bidet - where getting temperature correct is an issue.....
Costco in the UK also sell flushable wipes
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Installing a bidet in the bathroom as Flossie suggests is the easiest option. I have one in my bathroom which Is very useful. It cuts down on the number of showers one needs and is much quicker to use when in a hurry to get dressed, say in the morning.

In Turkey I’ve noticed that loos are equipped with a copper pipe which protrudes into the loo bowl which presumably can perform the same function as a bidet.

Dee
J B

Post by J B »

Devil wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:19 pm OTOH, stern warnings against flushing them would solve the problem.
That's exactly it - straws / plastic bottles / wipes

If they could just educate folks to recycle stuff they can and bin what they can't, but sadly not .... let's ban everything! :roll:
J B
wills1965

Post by wills1965 »

My foster child is double incontinent and has to wear pads. We buy soft wipes from the disability shop. They come in packs of 200 are a lot larger than wet wipes you simply wet them to clean, they are much softer and you can flush them down the loo.
I also use them when I have a cold as you don't end up with sore nose syndrome.