Car Insurance for TRNC (Update)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
geoffreys

Car Insurance for TRNC (Update)

Post by geoffreys »

According to my insurance agent in "north Cyprus the rules about car insurance for Greek Cypriot Plated vehicles has changed.
1. Can now ONLY be purchased at the crossing points.
2. Premiums have increased; for a private car now €120 per annum, €5 extra each per additional named drivers. "Any Driver" cover
not now available.

Geoff.
Last edited by geoffreys on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
geoffreys

Re: Car Insurance for TRNC

Post by geoffreys »

Hudswell wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:01 pm Does it mention monthly cover?
He did not mention that - next time I go over I will find out from the checkpoint.
I asked what 6 months was, €90.00
Very sad, my guy will be put out of business!
Geoff.
Ancient History

Post by Ancient History »

Thank you Geoffrey's for that. My chap will be out of business too...!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

geoffreys wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:52 am
He did not mention that - next time I go over I will find out from the checkpoint.
Geoff.
What do you mean 'your guy will go out of business'?

Are they taxi drivers? I'd imagine regular crossers wouldn't be much affected, it's the occasional....
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:53 am
geoffreys wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:52 am
Geoff.
What do you mean 'your guy will go out of business'?

Are they taxi drivers? I'd imagine regular crossers wouldn't be much affected, it's the occasional....
Well my guy is an Insurance Agent, self-employed, and lives just a few hundred metres from the Ay.Nik. crossing point.
Most of his business is insuring Greek Cypriot plated cars; (a) he was cheaper than the crossing point (b) his Insurance Company
actually pay out in the event of an accident, the crossing point's insurance company is questionable.
We also insure our Famagusta house thru him, but he doesn't have much house insurance business.
Geoff.
geoffreys

Re: Car Insurance for TRNC Update)

Post by geoffreys »

Private Car:

12 months €120
6 months €90
3 months €50
1 month €25

Now ONLY available at the crossing points.
NOT available from Costas Travel/insurance in Vrysoulles.

Geoff.
Aargent

Re: Car Insurance for TRNC (Update)

Post by Aargent »

That is unfortunate, I used Michalis too.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

This might sound a daft idea, but the Republic of Cyprus is a member of the European Green Card Insurance convention, as is Turkey (but NOT the unrecognized TRNC). Greece and Bulgaria (both EU and bordering Turkey) allow free circulation without a Green Card. Turkey (not EU) allows free circulation WITH a Green Card.

Why is the TRNC not allowed the same car insurance agreements structure as Turkey? Better still, since the RoC gov lay claim to the TRNC-held territory to the north of the 43 year old UN Green Line, why don't they expand their Green Card policy in that area to match that of Turkish mainland?

Are TRNC plated cars allowed to cross over into the South, I wonder? If not- WHY not? If yes, how much does the RoC gov charge them for Insurance at the crossing points may I ask? As this might be a case of 'tit for tat'... They should be, if they hold a TRNC Turkish-issued Green Card!

Think about it, please... Cheers- AL :?:
Gone but not forgotten...
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

PaphosAL wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:42 pm This might sound a daft idea, but the Republic of Cyprus is a member of the European Green Card Insurance convention, as is Turkey (but NOT the unrecognized TRNC). Greece and Bulgaria (both EU and bordering Turkey) allow free circulation without a Green Card. Turkey (not EU) allows free circulation WITH a Green Card.

Why is the TRNC not allowed the same car insurance agreements structure as Turkey? Better still, since the RoC gov lay claim to the TRNC-held territory to the north of the 43 year old UN Green Line, why don't they expand their Green Card policy in that area to match that of Turkish mainland?

Are TRNC plated cars allowed to cross over into the South, I wonder? If not- WHY not? If yes, how much does the RoC gov charge them for Insurance at the crossing points may I ask? As this might be a case of 'tit for tat'... They should be, if they hold a TRNC Turkish-issued Green Card!

Not sure what you want us to think about.

The TRNC land is in the EU so in theory EU insurance is valid there even though the TRNC is an illegal occupation only recognised by Turkey. However this does not help if the TRNC require you to take out their insurance. If you want to go there you must obey their requirements.

Tit for tat, fairness, equitability etc just don't come into it.

Pete
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It's why we stopped taking our double cab through when we crossed to the north quite a number of years ago.... the insurance was creeping up and up all the time. We found it better to park near the crossing point and go through on foot then use public transport or a taxi.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

It is a money making scheme. The insurance is only third party. If you go, drive carefully and watch the many speed cameras, another money making scheme.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

PaphosAL wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:42 pm This might sound a daft idea, but the Republic of Cyprus is a member of the European Green Card Insurance convention, as is Turkey (but NOT the unrecognized TRNC). Greece and Bulgaria (both EU and bordering Turkey) allow free circulation without a Green Card. Turkey (not EU) allows free circulation WITH a Green Card.

TRNC plated cars travelling to the RoC have to take out third party insurance in the same way. However it costs them more, on average €220 (12 months) for a private car.
Turkish citizens are not allowed to cross over into the RoC, only TRNC citizens. However Greek citizens are allowed to cross over into the TRNC!
Geoff.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Although the forum is called Paphos life, people from this end of the island do go from time to time to Northern Cyprus.
I think it is good that they are being informed about the changes being made to car insurance in the TRNC..

Trev..
Trev..
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

HopScotch wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:00 am What is a topic like this doing in a forum to do with Paphos life?

The above unchecked mutterings by expats give the rest of us a bad name among the Cypriots that aim to have their island free from foreign-imposed divisions.

Sad to see this site going the way of the previous one.
This topic is a useful one for anyone who wishes to visit North Cyprus. Discussing the facts, costs, options etc will have no impact on the discussions relating to the Cyprus problem or relations with any Cypriots.

If this site were going the way of the previous one you would have seen posts suddenly disappear making the thread nonsense to read, tiny green writing below other posts and/or hefty personal insults, none of which have occurred.

Pete
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

HopScotch wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:00 am What is a topic like this doing in a forum to do with Paphos life?

The above unchecked mutterings by expats give the rest of us a bad name among the Cypriots that aim to have their island free from foreign-imposed divisions.

Sad to see this site going the way of the previous one.
You are under no obligation to post here. Given that you have previously referred to Cyprus as a Greek Island, I don't think you are in any place to lecture anybody else about making unchecked mutterings.

Please stop reporting harmless posts.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Geoffreys, thanks for posting this information. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if the price for a twin cab is the same as for a car?
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

PW in Polemi wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:55 pm Geoffreys, thanks for posting this information. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if the price for a twin cab is the same as for a car?
It is more expensive; from memory €150 for 12 months. The other periods (6, 3, 1 month) are also higher than for a private car.
Geoff.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Thanks, Geoff. I suspect we'll continue to park at Strovolos and walk across! :D
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Jandel

Post by Jandel »

Hi Geoff, sorry to rekindle this one - but any update on getting insurances for travelling to the north on a yearly basis? Is it still only available at the crossings? And is it specific crossings, or any crossings where vehicles are aloud over? And more specifically - any idea on the cost for a motorbike? If relevant its a large capacity 750CC.
jeba

Post by jeba »

PeteandSylvi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:05 pm The TRNC land is in the EU so in theory EU insurance is valid there even though the TRNC is an illegal occupation only recognised by Turkey. However this does not help if the TRNC require you to take out their insurance.
Unfortunately, EU insurances aren´t valid in the North. At least all my insurances from Germany exclude it (health insurance, legal cost insurance, car insurance).