Car Insurance for TRNC (Update)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Re: Car Insurance for TRNC (Update)

Post by WHL »

You can get third party insurance at every crossing.
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

jeba wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:43 am
PeteandSylvi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:05 pm The TRNC land is in the EU so in theory EU insurance is valid there even though the TRNC is an illegal occupation only recognised by Turkey. However this does not help if the TRNC require you to take out their insurance.
Unfortunately, EU insurances aren´t valid in the North. At least all my insurances from Germany exclude it (health insurance, legal cost insurance, car insurance).
If you check the wording of AIG car insurance you will see that the policy defines the Territorial Limits as "The island of Cyprus". I take this to mean that any damage to an insured car would be covered in North Cyprus as would 3rd party liability, however as I stated before this does not help if the TRNC require you to take out their insurance. The same would be true of any hire car taken out in the ROC for which there is permission to travel to North Cyprus.

Thus your blanket statement "EU insurances aren't valid in the North" is not quite accurate.

Pete
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It should also be possible to hire a car in the north, leaving it near the border crossing on your return. (Obviously by arrangement with the company concerned.)

Dee
alexthedaemon

Post by alexthedaemon »

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum!
Thanks for accepting me!

I had a similar question and wanted to ask @Ancient History if you have any news about the ban of insurance agents, that are not at the border check point, selling car insurances?
I talked to some and they seemed all very eager to sell me insurances. But non was really sure about if they are actually worth anything later on...
If you don't have any news, would it be ok to DM his email or phone, so I can ask directly?
Best wishes,

Alex.