yellow slip

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
boro886

yellow slip

Post by boro886 »

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are looking to move permanently to Cyprus in September 2017 and I was hoping you could give some advice. I am 62 and my wife 51.

First of all how much income would immigration find acceptable, we own a house outright in Cyprus and we planned to live initially on approx £27000 pension which is in my name. My wife would have no income but would be living on my pensions.

How soon after moving would you recommend we apply for our yellow slips. we will have been in Cyprus for 6 months during the year on 070218.

Any more advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Alan
keving

Re: yellow slip

Post by keving »

boro886 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:56 pm Hello everyone,

My wife and I are looking to move permanently to Cyprus in September 2017 and I was hoping you could give some advice. I am 62 and my wife 51.

First of all how much income would immigration find acceptable, we own a house outright in Cyprus and we planned to live initially on approx £27000 pension which is in my name. My wife would have no income but would be living on my pensions.

How soon after moving would you recommend we apply for our yellow slips. we will have been in Cyprus for 6 months during the year on 070218.

Thank you

Alan
£27,000 pa is more than enough!

Apply for your yellow slip within 3 months of your arrival
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Thank you

Alan
£27,000 should be ok as long as you are retiring at 65, I was told around £8,000 per annum would be sufficient when I applied. You can do it yourself but my Wife & I used a local service in Paphos called Gwenny's Red Tape Services who charged a reasonable fee!
You will need a Cyprus bank account & probably private medical insurance until such time as you are drawing your UK pension & can apply for an S1 form! Your Wife will be able to apply for her Yellow Slip based on being your spouse for which you will need your marriage certificate!

Further information can be found on the UK.Gov website here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-cyprus but obviously this info is subject to whatever happens in the Brexit negotiations. Personally though, I don't think much will change in this respect!

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Save your money. It is easy enough doing it yourself. Just read the paperwork you get given, and make sure you bring everything required to your appointment.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
lotus

Post by lotus »

more like think of a number and double it!!!!,depends on if you are renting or buying over here,mind you 27 grand a year!,lucky you :) sorry didn't notice you own your house!!,but it still applies to others
Last edited by lotus on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They already said they have a property already.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
boro886

Post by boro886 »

Thanks everyone for your comments all very helpful
boro886

Post by boro886 »

ApusApus wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Thank you

Alan
£27,000 should be ok as long as you are retiring at 65, I was told around £8,000 per annum would be sufficient when I applied. You can do it yourself but my Wife & I used a local service in Paphos called Gwenny's Red Tape Services who charged a reasonable fee!
You will need a Cyprus bank account & probably private medical insurance until such time as you are drawing your UK pension & can apply for an S1 form! Your Wife will be able to apply for her Yellow Slip based on being your spouse for which you will need your marriage certificate!

Further information can be found on the UK.Gov website here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-cyprus but obviously this info is subject to whatever happens in the Brexit negotiations. Personally though, I don't think much will change in this respect!

Shane
The only difference is my retirement age is 66 years
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I don't think the figure is cast in stone & you may get away with a little less, you just have to show that you can support yourself! Personally, I would contact Gwenny when you are next over & see what she thinks, it may save you a lot of hassle in the future! Her phone no. is 269 45625, & I think the initial meeting is free of charge.

My circumstances were different as I had 10 years to go before retiring so ended up relying on my Wife's position as she is working & pays Cyprus social insurance.

Shane
Goldano

Post by Goldano »

Hi, I applied for my yellow slip recently as in 4 months ago. I wasn't asked to declare my income but as you have to produce bank statements for both UK and .cypriot accounts, they can see for themselves how much you have to live on. The procedure is very simple....go into the Immigration Office and ask to make an appointment for residency. The receptionist will give you a date together with a list of all the documents and copies you need to take with you to the meeting. Arrive for the meeting, present your documents, have your photograph taken, your yellow slip is printed out then and there, all over in 10 minutes. There really is no need to pay anyone to do this for you. Debs
keving

Post by keving »

^
^
I agree, its a very simple process. Go in together with your passports. Then they will give you an appointment date to come back with a list of what copies of documents to bring. One of these documents will be proof of private health insurance for you both, as you are both under SPA.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, basically getting a yellow slip is fairly easy, but you will definitely need private health insurance before you go to immigration, as you are both below British state pension age.We had this same problem when we first came to live here. You will not be able to use the virtually free state healthcare system, until at least one of you is drawing a UK State pension.
As to how much you need to live comfortably here so much depends on your life style! Also don't forget to keep funds available for that plane ticket to the UK should you want to go there from time to time. Not to mention money for a holiday, even though living here is very pleasant most of us want the flexibility to be able to travel when the urge takes you.

Dee
David

Post by David »

This was discussed on here recently. See page 4 of this section. The OP was "We have a meeting with Immigration ".

Mrs David and I are below retirement age and have no income, only savings. .We took a statement from our UK bank, dated two days before we left UK, and same from our new Cyprus bank account on which they wanted to see evidence of activity since we arrived.

As we had only been here for approx seven weeks by then they accepted the evidence of a twelve -month rental agreement and direct debits for Cyta and Electricity.

We secured Immigration-compliant Private health insurance for €165 each, (and received the usual "not worth the paper it's written on" comment from one ' well -wisher ' but hey, another beaurocratic hoop dealt with and pleasantly surprised at the cover provided.

As advised we arrived suited, booted and respectful and were treated in the same manner. The staff are so professional I think they would be offended if we arrived with third-party help to deal with "these foreigners " in their own country. We would.

Good luck, but you won't need it.
Alfisti 'till death us do part.
boro886

Post by boro886 »

Again, thank you all. your comments have helped greatly
David

Post by David »

Hi Hudswell,

No, €165 each for one year. Standard Immigration - compliant, and yes basic but we were surprised at being seen by Immigration so quickly. Now we will review future health insurance options at our leisure.

We had read of deals for €180 on other forums and found this one when we insured our car, (with Abbeygate-please delete if deemed advertising).
David

Post by David »

Boro886 ;

You and I are the same age and I understand the way questions about the unknown swirl about. I read many Cyprus forums for years but never had the nous you display by joining one and asking the very people my specific concerns should have been addressed to.

I determined to join my favourite forum as soon as we arrived and it closed down as we stepped off the ' plane. Fortunately Dominic came to the rescue and in my opinion this one is even better.

Even on here you will find the seasoned Ex-pat "Mr state the bleeding obvious " types but most members, I find, are helpful, knowledgeable, and will relate to your, and my, " babysteps " with compassion and a wry smile.

You asked for any advice on a given topic and like me have been around long enough to digest the responses, evaluate and make your own decisions suited to your circumstances. It is obvious from your gratitude to all replies that you also will not be deflected by off -topic attempts by self -aggrandisers whilst making important and life -changing decisions.

Persevere, you will love it. When you arrive go to Immigration ASAP. We will give you directions, as a new, kind, Cypriot friend did for us. Don't think 'i've got three months', embrace it.The feeling when you walk out with that Yellow Slip can be quite emotional. I had genuine lump in my eye and a tear in my throat and it was all I could do to stop Mrs David dancing down the street Morecombe and Wise stylee.

Hudswell :

We asked for and "got " exactly what we paid for.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Hudswell I think you are missing the point. David got 'immigration compliant' cover which is the absolute minimum required to get the yellow slip. Those in the same position can do the same in the required 3/4 month period and then perhaps spend longer time to research the best options for them for private medical cover. Some people are financially fortunate enough to opt for 'pay as you go' but they still need this minimum cover to get the yellow slip.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Habibi2007

Post by Habibi2007 »

Boro 886
I think you are doing the right think with regards to your Health insurance. As once you have your Yellow slip you can then take the time to find out where to get the good deals.
I wish we had done what you are doing when we first came over in September 2015, you feel very pressured in trying to do everything in a small time frame before you get your yellow slip and you can make expensive mistakes.
We were 63 and 59 respectively so obviously had to have private insurance which we could afford. We went though a well known insurance broker and I think we were kind of persuaded to take out an insurance with a very well known insurance company. Which I must admit I had heard good things about. So we both decided to have our medical which isn't cheap but obviously if we decided to take out the insurance this would have been deducted from our premiums. Any how had said medical everything fine. So went along to brokers to sign everything and found out as everything took a while to get back to the insurance company I had since turned 60 I would have to pay a higher premium, so we decided to think on it as the total bill for both of us was approx 550 Euros a quarter. A substantial amount of money over the year. So for peace of mind we decided to proceed. In the year since we took it out we havnt claimed a penny in fact havnt even been to see a Gp. Our renewal date is the middle of the month and the amount has now risen to 700 euros per quarter as hubby just turned 65. When we questioned this with the broker they said we had had a 5% reduction for no claims but because one of us was 65 now the premiums had gone up. Now this was not explained to us when we took out the insurance and maybe we were a little naive as the older you get the more you will pay as they are taking more risk. But we are all pigeon holed into age related-premiums no matter how healthy you are. Any how we have decided to not renew and we will apply for our S1 form so we can get our treatment through the General Hospital now my husband is retirement age and I will be able to as a dependant. And if we need to see a Gp we can still pay private so we will have the best of both worlds.
I think you are well advised to take your time over it and not be pushed into what could be a very costly mistake.
All the best for your future and I hope everything works out well for you both.
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

Hi David,

We are planning to move out next year, similar to your situation will have savings and rental from a UK investment property, was there any indication of amount of savings to qualify for a yellow slip?

Allan.
keving

Post by keving »

Jamboal wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:15 pm Hi David,

We are planning to move out next year, similar to your situation will have savings and rental from a UK investment property, was there any indication of amount of savings to qualify for a yellow slip?

Allan.
Income is more important than savings.

When I applied for my yellow slip I couldnt be bothered copying savings documents. I verbally told them what a fraction of my savings was.

I took the view that my house in Cyprus was owned outright, with no mortgage, and my works pension was more than double the average salary in Cyprus.