Applying for UK passport on line

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mrblobby

Applying for UK passport on line

Post by Mrblobby »

Has anyone done this ?

Ours are due soon , so wondered if this method is ok .

Apparently they started this service last year .

Lofos-Jan

Re: Applying for UK passport on line

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Pay for the courier return service when you make your application. It will arrive back by DHL at the ACS courier office (they will call you to collect or deliver). I didn't use the DHL service to SEND the signed form and old passport because they wanted €20 or €25 to send it! I went instead to the post office and used the Datapost service for around €8.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
mikesjn

Post by mikesjn »

We are in the UK, but we just renewed my wife's passport and it is a great system. We took the picture with a smart phone (You don't need a signed photo if you are still recognisable when compared to your old passport photo.) and uploaded it. The first photo failed as background to dark, so we put a white sheet up outside and it was a fairly bright day and this one was okay, the picture was automatically cropped to just the head and shoulders. Sent the old passport back using special delivery next day, we got an email 6 days later that the old passport had been received!! 4 days after that new passport arrived and about a week after the old one followed. It really was quite painless and I will do mine the same way when it comes up for renewal, though I might get my photo signed.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Thanks for the replies . Silly me I thought the whole job would be done online , but now I realise you have to send them your old passport , so not much different from the old system .
JimX

Post by JimX »

I renewed my UK Passport yesterday online, did the good wife's about four weeks ago, you need a credit or debit card, fill in the form, copy it to your printer, send it after signing the form with your UK Passport of course, simple enough and the wifes came back less than four weeks.

You will need some Passport mug shots, we used Marrios on the Tombs road, about €10's, the Passport authorities do not except usually homemade digital photos, if yours was you were lucky.

I need mine to attend the Immigration again in May for this new MEU3 that says they we will need to see your passport.

We used DHL courier service the cost of that is €22, but better safe than sorry. The renewal charge for your passport is £102.86.

All very easy to be honest.

Link to the Passport renewal. https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport
Jim.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Thanks Jim , I wondered how much the fee was .

A video has been put together on how to do your own photo , must be worth a try . :D

JimX

Post by JimX »

A friend did try to take her own face photo, it was rejected and all the Passport and fees were sent back here to Cy, for the sake of €10's it is just not worth it. And you do normally have to remove glasses, it says so in that online form filling, again not worth the chance
of problems with all your info being sent back to you. It would cost you a lot more cash if it fails.
Jim.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Just tried the online upload of photos and it is great . If you get it wrong it lets you know , and you can try multiple times until you get it right .
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (77.78 KiB) Viewed 5387 times
Last edited by Mrblobby on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikesjn

Post by mikesjn »

To be honest, it was great for us. We had the first photo automatically rejected for dark background and had to do another one. The process is great, lots of feedback, but the application doesn't get very far until they receive your expir(ing/ed) passport - took 6 days to acknowledge receipt and start the process. It only took 10 days in total and my wife had the new one in her hands.
We live 45 minutes from our passport office, by road and rail. Rushing an application over, if we have to, is easy. If I were in Cyprus, I would probably have had them taken and in my case countersigned; since my last passport photo, I have gone grey, lost most of it and also lost a lot of weight, but I have not had a problem with the automatic passport gates at Stansted.
I used my wife's phone, which is nothing fancy, for the photo; a white sheet as background and natural light. I am at best a snapper with any camera.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Did my hubby's recently from UK using a photo from one of the machines in Morrisons. Applied Friday online and old passport sent the same day. We had the new passport returned the following Thursday and old one the next day.
Cost £72.50p
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Just a reminder that the price of renewal was due to rise by up to 27 per cent this month -
remember you can renew a passport up to nine months before the date of expiry.

Cheers

Steve
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I finally got around to renewing our passports recently . My wife’s photo passed the testing software first time , but mine would not have it , we tried multiple times , hanging a white sheet , different phone , a digital camera but no . In the end I just picked a good one and choose accept . Yesterday I got the message that it was not acceptable and I needed to send another one , which I have done , I will let you know how I get on . The fee was £105.86 each which includes courier fee .
Attachments
E084FA9B-EA1B-4783-8FE4-D960F56BF8A2.jpeg
E084FA9B-EA1B-4783-8FE4-D960F56BF8A2.jpeg (101.53 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
E5C00984-4A93-424A-AF8E-9334AD7FD459.jpeg
E5C00984-4A93-424A-AF8E-9334AD7FD459.jpeg (99.05 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Just had an email to say both our applications have now been approved and our passports are being printed .
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Just to keep people uptdate with what happens next . I received an email to say my passport was on it’s way . Obviously the site is geared to applicants from the U.K. as it mentions a courier called DX , who only delivers in the U.K.

Next day I got a text from DHL to say my passport is on its way from London to Cyprus .
Attachments
4FD4BE78-038F-44D5-AE0B-6145E99031DF.jpeg
4FD4BE78-038F-44D5-AE0B-6145E99031DF.jpeg (127.59 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

End of the story , the new and old passports arrived (in separate envelopes) to my door by DHL today .
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The amazing thing is that they arrived at your home, and you did not have to go and collect them !!!!!
Trev..
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I must have been lucky Trev , DHL have a line written in that says they might use local delivery partners .

Mind you in the past two years DHL have been good with me , always delivering to my door .
Attachments
BD89E06F-B75D-4368-951F-B49DF89A7822.jpeg
BD89E06F-B75D-4368-951F-B49DF89A7822.jpeg (155.38 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
Paul

Post by Paul »

This text is taken from an email I recived from DHL and the passport office.

DHL has received your supporting documents from Her Majesty's Passport Office (DHL Tracking Number/Waybill Number: xx xxxx xxxx).
If appropriate, your passport is also on the way with a separate DHL Waybill Number. We'll attempt to deliver within 7 working days.
Important - We'll deliver to the address you gave to Her Majesty's Passport Office.
Someone will need to be at home in order to sign for your delivery.
The courier will not post it through the letterbox.
You can arrange a delivery date that is convenient for you via the DHL website.
For the quickest way to contact DHL, track or reschedule your delivery

I paid for delivery to our house by courier ACS never did I had to drive to there office to collect it as they said they did not cover our area of CHOULOU.

They once said they do not deliver to Konia to me and 2 hours later a van went up the road in Konia.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have had a similar experience with packages I have had to go from Polemi to Paphos to collect. They say they do not deliver to Polemi... And yet I have seen the ACS van in the village :-(
But they are the law... what they say goes :-(
Trev..