Peyia mayor defends controversial development projects

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Peyia mayor defends controversial development projects

Post by Paphos Life »

Peyia mayor Marinos Lambrou told MPs on Wednesday that his area was under attack over its development projects, as he later revealed that as a civil engineer he had done work for one of the companies developing land there....

Read the article and chat about it below...
emgee

Re: Peyia mayor defends controversial development projects

Post by emgee »

Mr Lambrou appears to be doing a reasonable job as Mayor in Pegeia, we all have to work to support our families and he obviously did this BEFORE he became Mayor of our beautiful village.

Give him a break please.

Alan
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think Flossie was referring to the fact the mayor is letting all the Sea Cave Developments go ahead, rather than that he used to work for one of the companies. I could be wrong, but that is how I read the post.

If you want decent mayors and politicians though, and not just career quacks, than you will have to accept the fact that they will have a history in industry. Otherwise, they won't have any useful experience to pass on. I am speaking in general terms now though. I have no more knowledge of this individual case than what I read in the article.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dont know the area, but has this area been designated building land recently, or has it always been agricultural land etc.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

From what I read, and it is by no means a complete brief, the land was sold to developers years ago. The only way to prevent them developing on it is to buy it back, at quite a cost.

What I don't get, is that they seem to be saying "We will let you build more stuff provided you stop being scamps and repair all the illegal stuff you have already done before new building commences".

Wouldn't it be easier to fine them for their existing misdemeanours, and use that money to buy back at least some of the land? They wouldn't even have to wait for the money. Just issue a compulsory purchase and deduct the fine from the amount the land is worth.

Was there any fuss when the land was originally purchased by the developers? A point made by the mayor was that the time to complain should have been when the land was originally up for sale.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Isnt there a law which states all buildings have to be back a certain distance from the coast line?
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Let us remember for a moment, WHO owns the entire coastline of the Republic of Cyprus? The Greek Orthodox Church, that's who...

AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
WHL

Post by WHL »

PaphosAL wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:23 pm Let us remember for a moment, WHO owns the entire coastline of the Republic of Cyprus? The Greek Orthodox Church, that's who...

AL :)
Who told you that ? Al