Beast from the east

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
STELIOSBWFC

Beast from the east

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

It is very cold in the UK. The weather experts are saying this will be bad. How lucky are you lot. :D
STELIOSBWFC

Re: Beast from the east

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

[quote="Happy in Cyprus" post_id=52174 time=1519596782 user_id=378]
Indeed, we never forget that Stelios.

Still, there's always someone ewse worse off. I was talking to a Russian customer on Friday who told me that when he left Moscow the previous day it was -15C. Brrrrr!
HIC If it is true what they and news are saying it will be colder than the North pole. (Mirror news) :lol: :lol: It must be true. Enjoy the sun. Must say though they said it will affect mobiles and we have had problems since 4pm today.
June

Post by June »

According to the Met Office we are to have "Feels like -10 degrees" during the day and that's in the North West of England. Other areas are forecast to be a lot worse. So although you seem to be having a bit of rain at the moment enjoy the rest of the week's sun :) x
Oh to be retired and able to jump on a plane at a moments notice :( :)
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

-7 in Salford and wind is picking up. We are going to get this.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

It managed to get to the balmy temperature of 2.5c this afternoon. Yesterday went out on my bike and cycled to Pensarn and back with an easterly wind. Today, did not venture out but went to the gym instead and Rosemary went swimming. It was exceptionally clear and could see Winter Hill. Bracing ourselves now for the sub zero temperatures forecast and we might even get some significant snow here for the first time for over 10 years.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

-20 c in central Germany tonight and max temp tomorrow -10 c in some parts of the country with 20 cm of fresh snow and strong wind.

Just saw in the German news from Munich that the fruit/vegetable market is closed due the low temperature, except one with huge gas blower to keep the temperature just above 0 c in a closed market stall while outdoors it was -13 this afternoon....

That's one reason I am in Cyprus with 12 c now at 9 pm

Max
smudger

Post by smudger »

John, trust Rosemary's swim was in the gym or private heated pool and not the sea :roll:
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Indoor pool at Erias Park, Colwyn Bay. Amazing how popular both the pool and gym are with old codgers like me. Rosemary's swimming is free, as she has an over 60 Fitt card which she paid £20 a year for and my gym membership is £19 per month.
There were people on the beach today with their dogs, but no-one cycling. Over 60 swimming tomorrow morning and it is a bit like a club with the same people there each week. A friendly lot and we even got invited to their Christmas meal.
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

I was born 08/01/1963 & was told by my mother that we were not allowed to leave the hospital for 2 weeks.
Can't remember much about it to be honest !
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

We lived on a farm in Leigh ,a few miles from Uttoxeter in Staffordshire.We had a 1 mile walk to junior School and can remember walking on top of frozen drifts that were as high as the hedges! I don't remember 1962 as I would have been at Boarding School then and it does not stick in my mind but I do remember one year when I must have been 17 (1966 possibly)and there were no buses running and I had to walk all the way from work in Longton to home which was about 7 miles.I can remember having lots of company for the most part,people coming out with hot drinks for those stuck in cars and then the last mile on my own through the lanes to the farm.
Having said all that,there is about 4-5 inches of snow outside as I write this so doubt I will be driving anywhere today although my two little Cypriot dogs are getting used to the snow and will enjoy their walk this morning.It certainly does not feel as cold as forecasted.
DSC_8422r.jpg
DSC_8422r.jpg (151.66 KiB) Viewed 4898 times
Taken on our dog walk this morning! Below is our main rd through the village
Attachments
DSC_8398r.jpg
DSC_8398r.jpg (233.51 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
Last edited by Poppy on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

I remember hearing about the winter of 62/63, where was I? i'd signed up for a trip to Canada
where the temp was -38 degrees
garry
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

A light dusting of snow in our back garden early this morning in Over Wyre and then the sun came out. All gone inside 10 minutes and it's warmer weather than yesterday 🤣
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
staffie

Post by staffie »

yes I remember, being born 1951, walking to schools, a good 45 minutes, no school closures for us in them days, but we were able to have fun.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

No school closures years ago because most of the staff lived locally and could get into school. I remember in 1963-4 it snowed on Boxing Day and the snow stayed on the ground until nearly Easter. When it finally melted I remember looking out of the classroom window and was amazed at how green the grass looked. I also remember going out in the car and the lanes around Ormskirk had huge piles of snow either side and the roadsigns, which were much taller than they are now, were poking out of the top.

We had snow here on Penrhyn Bay early this morning, around 4 cm but most has gone now. However, the low hills are still covered.
smudger

Post by smudger »

I remember much of the above, and appreciate Lloyds comments.
I would just comment on the trains though, as the reps say, they are not weather forecasters and can only act accordingly. Having done that, they are now getting stick left right and centre for cancelling trains. Would have been exactly the same if they'd run the trains and they got stuck in snow drifts.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

According to the news today Smudger , I think it is more the ice than the snow causing problems as the ice can apparently cause the signals to fail which of course is really dangerous!
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

They are gritting and salting Lloyd even in our village as it is a bus route whether or nor they are gritting enough I don't know.I think the problem to date is that the worst snow has fallen over night when there is little traffic to help activate the salt and then further snow is falling on the ice. Here this morning it is very windy and snow is drifting and car tracks from yesterday are completely obliterated. I think our smallest dog may get buried this morning!! Our school is open and the kids are going to school on sleds so some are happy!!
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

Twelve year old grandson's school is closed nine year old granddaughter's school is not so someone in that household
is pretty upset
garry
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ha ha, guess which one :-)... Our Granddaughters school is closed and the snow is up to the windowsills. But this is in Bulgaria ..
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:35 am Ha ha, guess which one :-)... Our Granddaughters school is closed and the snow is up to the windowsills. But this is in Bulgaria ..

This is Not Bulgaria and not England either but Troodos highest peak right now... :lol: :lol:

Max