Hot Water Costs with no Solar

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Anarita John

Re: Hot Water Costs with no Solar

Post by Anarita John »

Problem is, by connecting the hot water supply to your washing machine, you have no control of the washing temperature. Our solar heated hot water is extremely hot for most of the year.
The new machines use very little water anyway, so I sometimes, if I can be bothered, put a watering can full of hot water from our tap into the machine to bring the temp up.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:19 pm
Devil wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:48 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:38 pm I connected the dishwasher with the hot water pipe instead of the cold one in order to get pre-heated water with the result that a circle of the dishwasher is not using the normal 2.5 kw when connected with cold water as the coil will be heating only for a view minutes to reach the right temperature for washing and drying the dishes. And yes it was a real Miele dishwasher not the human type... :)

Max
Sorry, but that is a big no-no. There is a very good reason why washers are designed for cold water. Proteins (e.g., extreme example is egg white) harden in water over about 35-40°C So, if you start a cycle with hot water, you will have more difficulty removing protein and some other organic residues; this is why the pre-rinse is always in cold water and the heating does not start till the wash, even with Miele. Same applies to clothes washers as many organic stains on clothes contain proteins. There are a few washers with both cold and hot water inlets but, again, the hot water valve opens only after the first cold water rinse is evacuated; we had a Bendix clothes washer in the 1950s like that.
Sorry Devil, but there is a difference between theory and experience. I run the Miele dishwasher for years with perfect results, otherwise I would have changed the connection of hot water back to cold. What of course was a fact, that until the hot water arrived at the dishwasher through the long pipe from the hot cylinder up my loft it was not that hot yet, hence not any problem with the Proteins. This I call experience! Whatever I tried in the past was through trial and error and like this I was always happy not to have followed only the theory you find in books ( or nowadays in the web)

Max
Equally there are little old ladies who live to over 100 yet smoke 20 a day. One person's experience doesn't necessarily trump decades of scientific research.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jfn25

Post by jfn25 »

Dominic wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:39 pm When and where (what town) are you renting? The price to heat up a Polemi tank would be more than for a Paphos tank.
Hi we are planning to rent in Regina Dardens Paphos for 6-12 months to see how it goes, its a 3 bed end terrace house there will be 4 adults living in the house
jfn25

Post by jfn25 »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:51 am As others have said it makes no sense to live in a property without at least solar heating panels here. The sun’s energy is free, but electricity prices here in Cyprus are expensive.
If you really like the place why not ask your prospective landlord to install the panels before you rent it?

Dee
Hi Dee

Its on a complex so this woud not be a simple solution and our initial plan is to rent for 6-12 months to see if living in Cyprus works for us
robf

Post by robf »

The reason that most machines have only cold supply is that modern machines use much less water than older models, and if connected to the hot supply all you do is use the cold water in the supply pipe, the hot water rarely reaches the machine. You are then paying twice, once to replace the hot water in the tank that has not reached the machine, and the cold water in the machine. You can check by measuring the volume of water that comes out the tap before it gets hot and the machine details and ratings.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Sadly on lots of Cypriot water systems a lot of water is wasted waiting for the hot tap to deliver hot water. There are many metres of pipework to get rid of before you get hot water..
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:36 am Sadly on lots of Cypriot water systems a lot of water is wasted waiting for the hot tap to deliver hot water. There are many metres of pipework to get rid of before you get hot water..
The reason is that most houses have a solar system on their ROOF for hot water.(Thermic system) To bring that hot water down from the roof where it is needed, the long distance of pipes is wasting not only energy but also water consumption. That's why recently a so called "Solar Revolution" is advertised on Rock FM and also here on PL, with ad banners from a system which comes from Germany. The hot water tank is somewhere within the house which is reducing long pipes and also heat losses from the cylinder to the environment. The water is heated with an electric coil and the electricity for that is produced from 3-4 photo-voltaic panels (PV) installed on the roof and connected with the cylinder through a simple electric cable.

Max