New Air Con/Heater Units

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
bromerzz

Re: New Air Con/Heater Units

Post by bromerzz »

Never understand why when talking of heating a volume of air so many sites use square feet by default in the calc when we are really looking to heat or cool a cubic area. The missing height of the room really does need to be considered as does the level of insulation. In Kevin case the upstairs bedrooms provide a degree of insulation between the different levels of the house, as the heat loss through the ceiling is really going into the space upstairs.
My 9000 btu units work fine and may be under rated for what they do, but heyho whats a few quid extra, the units just need to work a little harder.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

COP (performance) is with units of 9000 BTU or 12000 BTU higher than with larger units (24000 BTU).
i.e. 1 kWh consumed would provide 3.5 kWh of output heat if COP was 3.5. If I look at Daikin Series 15
the COP of 9000 BTU is 3.9 and for 24000 BTU is only 3.6!! It is similar with other brands of course.
Max
keving

Post by keving »

Martee wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:43 am Good Morning all,

Could someone explain briefly please which Air Con/Heater units are cost effective running wise.
We have Gas central heating but it does take some time to warm the house when we arrive as we are not here permanently and i want a quick boost heat wise.
I have to replace 3 units in our Villa which are approx 10/12 years old which have packed up and have had an Air Con engineer look at them and re gassed but still no good so replacement it is.
If i were to buy from a retailer is the installation costs included in the price or is this separate by another Co.
Thanks for any recommendations in advance.

Martee.
Hi again. I bought a new aircon unit yesterday from MegaElectric on the Polis Road. They had some very good deals. Fitting is additional to the purchase price - €120 to remove and take away old unit and fit new unit. They have a website where you can look at prices.

Also worth looking at CMC, also on the Polis Road. Reasonable prices, especially on Daewoo and Pitsos. Fitting is €120.

Was in Super Home Centre today and noticed that they had a special offer on Galenz units - 9000BTU for €298 and 18000BTU for €498.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

At the end of the day you get what you pay for; I paid 6000 Euro's for 8 LG units with a 5 year guarantee on the Compressors. I did shop around and this ((I thought) was a pretty good deal; there are cheaper but my original Rolls units started to fall apart after about three years and although I could get the replacement units I couldn't get the spares; I didn't want eight rusty boxes with rust stripes running down the outside walls again so went for more expensive units. You have to take into consideration the distance between the compressor and blower when getting estimates because if the length is longer than the standard supplied pipes it starts to become expensive.

Jim
Martee

Post by Martee »

Many Thanks for the info on the units.
Had not thought about possible problem regarding the last comment from Jim B as my outside units with fans etc is on a flat roof halfway up the side of the house--so presumably the pipework would run inside the walls--seem to remember seeing these when the place was built.
I will get which supplier i choose to come and look and cost before parting with any money.
Thanks again,

Martee.
keving

Post by keving »

Jim B wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:40 pm At the end of the day you get what you pay for; I paid 6000 Euro's for 8 LG units with a 5 year guarantee on the Compressors. I did shop around and this ((I thought) was a pretty good deal; there are cheaper but my original Rolls units started to fall apart after about three years and although I could get the replacement units I couldn't get the spares; I didn't want eight rusty boxes with rust stripes running down the outside walls again so went for more expensive units. You have to take into consideration the distance between the compressor and blower when getting estimates because if the length is longer than the standard supplied pipes it starts to become expensive.

Jim
Jim, you paid an average of €750 for your units. If these included big units ie 18000/24000 then you probably got a good deal at the time.

But the price of inverters has come down considerably .. you can now get LG 12,000 BTU inverters for €550 + fitting if you shop around.
Expresspete

Post by Expresspete »

Hi Keving, you've mentioned a price of €550 + fitting for the LG 12,000 BTU Inverters, which I think is a brilliant price - would you save me a lot of work and point me in the right direction please (tia)
Living the Sunshine dream 8-)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have priced several makes of inverter aircons and am looking for two reliable,mid range with an A++ rating on cool, and at least an A for heating, with a 5 year warranty I thought that the Mitsubishi ones are quite expensive, and was recommended to look at Haier and another brand called 'Invertor' which is a bit confusing! A friend of mine has the Invertor one which she speaks highly of, for both economy and efficiency. Both makes seem to perform well.
Have other members got either of these brands and if so how to they rate them for reliablity and efficiency as well as doing the job?
Interestingly the Invertor aircons are sold through two Limassol shops, one is in Kolossi,, whereas the Paphos one is in Skouli not Paphos, I understand.

Dee
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I have Haeir invertor units, BTU equivalents: a 24,000 in the living room and an 18000 in the kitchen. A Gree 12000 in one Bedroom and topically am replacing two other ageing bedroom units which have the compressors rusted away over the last 12 years with Haier 12000 units this week.
Fitted the 12000 units will cost me E670 each. The tech spec on the new units has them using 75% less electricity than the currently installed units which whilst decrepit still work but are past their best and run of old ozone nasty refrigerant gases.
I use a supplier/installer at the east of the island but the main distributor on island is in Nicosia.
http://www.fysair.com
That may help you a little.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Still don't understand your new system Dominic! It has too many options!

Bromerzz,
Thank you for your helpful reply. Have you had your first two Haeir inverter aircons for long and have there been any problems with them?

Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Still don't understand your new system Dominic! It has too many options!

Bromerzz,
Thank you for your helpful reply. Have you had your first two Haeir inverter aircons for long and have there been any problems with them?

Dee
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

The 24 and the 18 have been in exactly a year and not one problem, they cool when I want them and heat when i want them to.