European Capital of Culture

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
aphrodite

European Capital of Culture

Post by aphrodite »

Did anyone attend the Opening Ceremony? I just watched the fireworks a short while ago.

Is Pafos ready? :D
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: European Capital of Culture

Post by Dominic »

My wife had a fair amount of customers drop in to the shop who were down from Nicosia for the day for the ceremony, so it was certainly popular with Cypriots. I wanted to be there but I had other commitments.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Yes my Wife & I were there! Great event, well presented & a fantastic dancing spectacle! Took loads of photos but could have done with being 2 foot taller as I have loads of shots of peoples heads ........ will post some later when I have had a chance to sort through them!

Even met the Mayor on our travels 8-) but not on first name terms yet :(

Shane
June

Post by June »

Watched the dancing here in the UK via the Pic sat live stream.
Thought it was fabulous and would have loved to have been there.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Yes, we went and attended until the end of the first part which started bang on time and finished about 20:40. Enjoyed it and glad we went but chose not stay for the later part as was feeling cold and my feet were frozen solid and we were glad to get back to the warmth of home. The Cyprus Mail is full of the usual whinging comments about roadworks and the fact that the speeches were not in english, dutch, russian etc as well as greek. I'm glad they weren't as would have lasted way too long before the show part of the ceremony started by which time hypothermia would have set in! Only seen it in the dark, but the new paved area is definitely an improvement. Liked the little fountains as well. Had fish and chips in Pipero befog the ceremony which were also enjoyable. Agree with the comment that the stage could have done with being a bit higher to help the shorted amongst us see, but I was fine!
Ian
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I was there and really enjoyed it. I also did the walking tour in the morning and learned much more about the city and saw places I never knew were there. It was really great.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I found this video on YouTube , it shows some the preparations for last night .