What do you miss?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
johnoddy

What do you miss?

Post by johnoddy »

There are certain things you miss, here in Cyprus, for me it’s pies. I know the wife won’t mind me saying this but she’s not too hot at making pastry so it came as a pleasant surprise to find that a new couple, who have just moved to the Island, and followed my recommendations on wood and restaurants are into baking, well K is, the wife, (no names unless I’m asked) and I can say her apple pies are fantastic. They are also members of this forum so I’ll just say a big “THANK YOU” to Mrs Cradley Heath.....are you taking orders yet????
Wallace

Re: What do you miss?

Post by Wallace »

A proper Pub, with real ale!
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:14 am
Wallace wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:52 am....with real ale!
Try Aphrodite Hills Micro Brewery 8-)
Do you mean Aphrodite's Rock Brewery...?

Their product is splendid but nobody has it on draught in the village any more... :evil:

My home brew is excellent tho... ;)
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Apart from some people, nothing.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

The countryside, which can be so beautiful. Family, and friends, who do come out here, sometimes not often enough!
memory man

Post by memory man »

Mealie Puddings & rowies
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I miss the ranges. We lived in Frimley, Surrey, which is right next to Ash Ranges. This was a large area of heath and woodland, and provided you didn't go on it when they were firing, you could have a nice long walk with stunning scenery. I grew up playing on the ranges, until I moved to London for my degree. I came back 15 years later and had the pleasure of showing my kids all the places I used to play in. It had everything you could want for as an adventurous child. Rope swings that sent you out over a canal; abandoned railway lines with old engines, not to mention the firing ranges themselves, and all the stuff the squaddies would leave behind.

But, with the Akamas and Paphos forest on my doorstep, not to mention the surrounding hills and valleys, Cyprus more than makes up for it.

As for my family, I miss them, but there is email, and Skype these days. So it is not as if I never get to see them!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Some typical Dutch food (herring, zoute drop) and springtime flower fields. So we simply try to visit Holland in spring.

Last edited by LouiseCastricum on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louise :)
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Not much really, probably the shops - as in the high street, where you get most things you need in one area. Also online shopping. Aside from that, I don't miss anything!
Scotslass

Post by Scotslass »

Me too memory man. I do get the family to take them across when they come over and they keep well in the freezer.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

This is the area YOU are living Domenic, and you can even leave your car
and walk from home...

Ramone

Post by Ramone »

Nothing at all. I love the way of life here & the laid back life style.
I could not think of anything worse than going back to the UK.
David

Post by David »

Johnoddy;

Mrs Cradley Heath, (Kaye), is speaking to me again after your last restaurant recommendation. Hangover has finally subsided and she's found the kitchen again.

There will be apple pie at Paul's celebration on Tuesday, (' cos haggis is out of season ) and I am dropping hints all over about proper, Black Country sausage rolls and maybe even mince pie with apple.

She's staring at me through the cross-hairs of her rolling pin. Think I'll take the Budgie for a walk.
Alfisti 'till death us do part.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Absolutely nothing.
Geoff.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Enigma wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:49 am Not much really, probably the shops - as in the high street, where you get most things you need in one area. Also online shopping. Aside from that, I don't miss anything!
Yes, I'd agree with all of that - shopping is the only thing I find frustrating here...
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

We did not realise how much we had missed until we went back for a holiday this year - Yorkshire Dales and Northumberland - the green green grass and stunning scenery of the Dales and cows, lots of cows ( I was a farmers daughter) and the beautiful beaches and castles of Northumberland and all the dogs running on the beaches and the well built ( on the whole) insulated houses!!.
And although there have been various posts on Forums comparing the cost of living between here and the UK I never really thought about it as I was here but now we are going back I just popped on to Tescos site and could not believe how cheap most items were and the variety!! Will have to watch I don't put weight on!!
Keith

Post by Keith »

Not there yet but not long to go and there is only one thing I will miss and that's a real good Indian restaurant.
Spoilt for choice over here but I know that I prefer to be over there than here any day.
We have tried practically everyone we have seen in the Paphos / Coral Bay Area and the best is actually a takeaway that charges ridiculous prices.
Everytime a new one crops up over there we give it a go but no joy.
We go to the Indian restaurant once a week over in the U.K. (I just love the flavours)
No way I would forfeit living the dream for it though so I will just have to make my own.

Keith
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Keith wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:51 pm Not there yet but not long to go and there is only one thing I will miss and that's a real good Indian restaurant.
Spoilt for choice over here but I know that I prefer to be over there than here any day.
We have tried practically everyone we have seen in the Paphos / Coral Bay Area and the best is actually a takeaway that charges ridiculous prices.
Everytime a new one crops up over there we give it a go but no joy.
We go to the Indian restaurant once a week over in the U.K. (I just love the flavours)
No way I would forfeit living the dream for it though so I will just have to make my own.

Keith
Saffron in Pissouri has a good reputation as does the new one at Anarita...
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I don't miss moaning Brits! :)
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

What I don't miss is:

Horrendous traffic jams & roads being totally closed "due to Health & Safety" so the road markings can be renewed (for example).
Screaming rats on wings (AKA seagulls) demanding food ever more vociferously, earlier and earlier in the mornings (next door used to feed them :roll: ).

And my biggest bugbear of them all ....

Slurry (liquified cow muck) being spread on nearby fields - usually just before a mini heat wave with the prevailing wind wafting the delicate aroma towards our house, and by the time the smell had diminished from instant gag reaction to stale smelly socks (about 2 weeks), the farmer was ready to spread another load. Not so much the green green grass of home, more like smelly mud pies :twisted: :twisted:

So, no, there's nothing I must rush back to get another "fix" of or plead to be brought out with visitors. Like Ramone, I love the way of life here and the laid back lifestyle.
:D
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol: