Cytavision

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mark

Cytavision

Post by Mark »

In light of..errr....current difficulties, I am considering subscribing to Cytavision.
The package I am considering includes sports, movies and some other channels @24 euros per month.

Any thoughts appreciated from current users.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Cytavision

Post by Dominic »

It would certainly improve your prospects of learning Greek.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I appreciate that many of the channels will be in Greek, but there also appears to be a lot of English content, movies, national geographic channel and many more.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Make sure footy commentary comes in English as well?
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

I remember reading once on another forum that the reason that cyta cannot stream in English for football is that English is not an official language here in Cyprus. however, residents of Malta can watch football with English commentaries because English is one of the official languages.
I would pay for cyta sport if the commentary was in English, just as we once paid for sport by bringing our UK Skybox over each time we visited.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Anarita John wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 pm I remember reading once on another forum that the reason that cyta cannot stream in English for football is that English is not an official language here in Cyprus. however, residents of Malta can watch football with English commentaries because English is one of the official languages.
I would pay for cyta sport if the commentary was in English, just as we once paid for sport by bringing our UK Skybox over each time we visited.
Its got nothing to do with official languages, I remember a few years ago pubs etc in the UK were buying a subscription from Greece for a few hundred pound and streaming them on the cheap back in the UK, if I remember rightly the Premiership took a pub to court to have them stop this, the pub won the case because you cant discriminate another EU country from buying the service, so on orders from the Premiership, country's like Greece buying the rights to its matches must only show it with the native language.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Greek is the official language of Cyprus, so Premier League matches can only be screened in Greek In Malta, both Maltese and English are official languages, so Premier League Matches can be screened in both languages.
My information might not be correct, as I read this many years ago on a forum. I have no idea what language matches are screened in in Malta.
My main point however, is, if there was a legal, reliable way to view UK tv channels in Cyprus, I would go down that route. Even though I could, I do not watch sport in the UK illegally but have done in Cyprus.
emgee

Post by emgee »

Turkish is also an official language of Cyprus.

Alan
WHL

Post by WHL »

Anarita John wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 pm Greek is the official language of Cyprus, so Premier League matches can only be screened in Greek In Malta, both Maltese and English are official languages, so Premier League Matches can be screened in both languages.
My information might not be correct, as I read this many years ago on a forum. I have no idea what language matches are screened in in Malta.
My main point however, is, if there was a legal, reliable way to view UK tv channels in Cyprus, I would go down that route. Even though I could, I do not watch sport in the UK illegally but have done in Cyprus.
As I said its nothing to do with the official language.....the official language of Cyprus is Greek and Turkish.. so by your reckoning the match should also have Turkish commentary? the money that country's pay for the screening rights to show premiership matches depends on the size of the viewers it has ,,so a small country like Cyprus pays alot less then say France or Spain...
WHL

Post by WHL »

This is the reason only Greek commentary is allowed by the Premiership..shown in Greece and Cyprus
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-17150054
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

WHL, please read the following article.

http://cyprus-mail.com/2016/08/24/lack- ... -eu-rules/

and a quote from the article,
The rules state that in order for English commentary to be allowed in an EU country other than the UK and Ireland, that country must list English as an official language in its constitution.

In Cyprus, the official languages are Greek and Turkish.
Malta’s constitution, however, does list English as an official language and therefore is still allowed to offer English commentary.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I'm not interested in listening to football in any language, golf or tennis maybe. My main priority is quality tv, documentaries, history, with a peppering of drama and crime. Zero soaps.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for this HIC, my concern is that any service that may be suspect has a potential for disruption, hence my interest/ consideration of cytavision.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Can't you Brits simply watch TV via the respective websites of your favourite broadcasters? That's what I do with German programs I want to watch.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The UK broadcasters have you 'blocked' if you are out of the UK.. And of course people have got used to watching 'Sky' TV..
Trev..
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:58 am The UK broadcasters have you 'blocked' if you are out of the UK.. And of course people have got used to watching 'Sky' TV..
If you access them through a VPN with UK servers you will not be blocked.

We use an Android box with a VPN for live BBC, ITV etc and iPlayer. For films and TV series we use Terrarium TV or Kodi sites and all the other channels, Sky, Nat Geo, Fox etc via Mobdro or other providers on Kodi.

Pete
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Every now and then some of the VPNs DNS addresses do get blocked however an alternative always comes along. Cat and Mouse - heyho. Great viewing a brilliant 50 over match on at present.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Very strangely... the VPN we use works OK on my laptop but not on my wife's new one ??? And it is the same account
Trev..
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:19 am Correct Pete, but the BBC are actively blocking VPN's although I suspect there will always be a "work around" I think Trev has been effected in the past.
My VPN gives me a choice of 8 UK servers. Should the BBC block one, another will work. They then change IP addresses on any that are blocked.

Pete
WHL

Post by WHL »

Anarita John wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:49 pm WHL, please read the following article.

http://cyprus-mail.com/2016/08/24/lack- ... -eu-rules/

and a quote from the article,
The rules state that in order for English commentary to be allowed in an EU country other than the UK and Ireland, that country must list English as an official language in its constitution.

In Cyprus, the official languages are Greek and Turkish.
Malta’s constitution, however, does list English as an official language and therefore is still allowed to offer English commentary.
As I said, it changed when the pub land lady won her case