Gas fire

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
damol3435

Gas fire

Post by damol3435 »

I have a "Mega"mobile gas fire. Nothing obviously wrong with it except recently it has started shutting itself down after emitting a "pop". Starts again Ok. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?
cyprusgrump

Re: Gas fire

Post by cyprusgrump »

damol3435 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:13 pm I have a "Mega"mobile gas fire. Nothing obviously wrong with it except recently it has started shutting itself down after emitting a "pop". Starts again Ok. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?
They generally shut down when they detect a lack of Oxygen in the room - do you have a window open...?
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

The only problem I've experienced with mine can be categorised as "crap in the gas pipe". As I've had this more than once on changing the gas cylinder I assume it is crap in the cylinder. I've always been able to clear the problem by undoing the pipes and flushing them and also ensuring the pilot jet is clear.

Pete
Polemi Dave

Post by Polemi Dave »

The first question would be "have you got a good flow of outside " air. The fires emit lots of carbon dioxide and water. If the combustion is not complete because there is not enough oxygen (fresh air) then they produce carbon monoxide - with is lethal. So these fires are designed to shut down before killing you. :ugeek:

Alternatively the shut off device may be faulty and causing the device to shut down. As my life is fairly important, to me anyway, I would go out and buy a new one. Better still get a fixed gas fire fitted with an out side flue.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Horrible dangerous things in my opinion! We have a 24000 btu new style air con unit in this very large living room. Even though all our curtains, most of the furniture, carpets etc have been packed on the container, this unit is keeping the room lovely and warm set at 23 and they really are economical to use.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

I would never entertain a mobile gas fire, though they are cheap to run, and give out a good heat, I agree with Poppy re efficiency of modern ac units.
Gas fires an be dangerous and when they go wrong, can be life threatening.
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Does anyone know how many people have died in incidents concerning portable gas fires in the last 10 years in Cyprus?

Pete
Polemi Dave

Post by Polemi Dave »

2 Brits just 5 weeks ago, is that enough Pete?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eater.html
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Polemi Dave wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:10 am 2 Brits just 5 weeks ago, is that enough Pete?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eater.html
A dreadful tragedy but, from that very story:

The gas cylinder was outdoors indicating that it was not a portable gas fire but more likely the kind of fire you are recommending the OP to install.

Also:
The trouble is no one has been able to find out why the gas was leaking into the house,' said Ms Blake.
'They looked at it and said the heater wasn't damaged but there was a strong smell of gas in the house.

which indicates to me that it was more likely a gas leak in the plumbing.

So not a very relevant example.

Pete
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

Why not take the gas fire and have it serviced I had one done recently and it works fine
garry
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It could be a good idea to say where you can take gas fires for a service Garry.

Trev..
Trev..
Polemi Dave

Post by Polemi Dave »

PeteandSylvi wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:52 am
which indicates to me that it was more likely a gas leak in the plumbing.

So not a very relevant example.

Pete
You don't die from carbon monoxide poisoning from leaking gas. You may well die from LPG poisoning and suffocation.
Lots of people also have gas hobs with the tank outside, perhaps that was what the first contact turned off? There is no report as what the outside tank was connected to. No mention of having a chimney or a flue. All in all the investigation and the inquest look sloppy and inadequate.

It is very relevant because cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas fire, balanced flue gas fires although not cheap draw the air from outside the building and expel the fumes outside as well. These fires are sealed from the living space. This is the type of fire I have and would recommend. Portable gas firs burn the oxygen from inside the room and expel the fumes back into the room (as do paraffin heaters).

Every one will make their own life or death choices but I would not trust anyone in Cyprus offering to repair or service a cheap mobile gas fire.
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Notwithstanding the rather hysterical remark "Every one will make their own life or death choices" in reference to repairing a portable gas heater, I refer back to my original post and ask again: Does anyone know how many people have died in incidents concerning portable gas fires in the last 10 years in Cyprus?

It may be lots, it may be a few, it may be none but it is a relevant question for which I was seeking an answer not a diatribe.

Pete
Polemi Dave

Post by Polemi Dave »

PeteandSylvi wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:03 pm Notwithstanding the rather hysterical remark "Every one will make their own life or death choices" in reference to repairing a portable gas heater, I refer back to my original post and ask again: Does anyone know how many people have died in incidents concerning portable gas fires in the last 10 years in Cyprus?

It may be lots, it may be a few, it may be none but it is a relevant question for which I was seeking an answer not a diatribe.

Pete
Good to see you have not changed one bit over the years, always a real gent. :lol:
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Polemi Dave wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:13 pm
Good to see you have not changed one bit over the years, always a real gent. :lol:
And that Ladies and Gentleman is an example of the point I was making on the Politics thread that forum members should be discussing the topic and not the poster.

Pete
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

PeteandSylvi wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:21 pm
Polemi Dave wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:13 pm
And that Ladies and Gentleman is an example of the point I was making on the Politics thread that forum members should be discussing the topic and not the poster.

Pete
Polemi Dave's response was wholly appropriate.
damol3435

Post by damol3435 »

Thanks for the replies
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

damol

Went a bit pear shaped didn't it.

I tend to think it's a lack of oxygen, this used to happen with ours. That said, I can't say I ever liked the things.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

Hi Trev
we have a shop in Polis which sell household goods and he services all types of machines and appliances
I realise that doesn't help the original poster as they live too far away,but maybe if they could ask the question locally
garry
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks Garry :)

Trev..
Trev..