Politics

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Maggie B

Re: Politics

Post by Maggie B »

Dominic, the sitting room would suit me just fine but we all know those guys in the kitchen could not OR WOULD NOT stay out.

Maggie B
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Maggie B wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:43 am Dominic, the sitting room would suit me just fine but we all know those guys in the kitchen could not OR WOULD NOT stay out.

Maggie B
No point in splitting it at all then - as I suggested in earlier post/s.
Geoff.
UKIP Member and Hot Lounge Man.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Maggie B wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:43 am Dominic, the sitting room would suit me just fine but we all know those guys in the kitchen could not OR WOULD NOT stay out.

Maggie B
That's an easy one. I have created a group called "The Naughty Step". I set permissions so that anybody in the naughty step group would not be able to see the "Learning Greek" forum. I chose that one as a test. Anyway, I made myself a member of that group, and all of a sudden I was unable to even see the "Learning Greek" group.

All I need to to is create Politics Lite, or whatever I call it, and set it so that anybody in the naughty step group won't be able to see it. Then, if anybody does overstep the line, they will be put in the naughty step group, and thus be unable to see the Politics Lite group. They will still be able to post in the other Politics group however.

It sounds more complicated than it is!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

I LOVE IT DOMINIC. Do you love it geoffreys?
:-)
MB
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Now now. Baiting other users will also be a way of getting on the naughty step. It cuts both ways. :roll:
johnoddy

Post by johnoddy »

GRRRRRRR!!!!!
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

geoffreys wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:51 am
Maggie B wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 pm Well my tuppence worth is; I reckon Dominic has got it right on the button with his suggestion.

I would totally cr÷p myself having the cheek to make a comment on the Political Section - even though I do have some opinions on it.

Some of you lot would scare the bejesus out of me if I dared to share my thoughts.

That's got to be a bit pish. Everyone should be able to have a wee say without being made to feel like a complete twassock!!! Right or wrong.

Maggie B
We could have all sorts of political forums/sections:
Cyprus Politics AKEL supporters
Cyprus Politics DISY supporters
Cyprus Politics DIKO supporters
etc
UK Politics Tory Supporters
UK Politics Labour Supporters
UK Politics Lib Dums Supporters
UK Politics SNP Trouble Maker Supporters
etc

What difference would it make if we did?
Geoff.
That wouldn't work at all. Each of those sections would be busy agreeing with each other they are the best and possibly ridiculing the others. It is not a way to get good, reasoned debate going and I apply that same point to the behaviour of politicians in parliaments. I consider party political divisions to be the biggest handicap to working democracy. Now there's a topic for discussion!

I find it shocking that there are members who would be afraid to voice their opinions. While I can understand that happening on Cyprus Living and Paphos People where the bully boys are allowed to roam freely and general ridicule is encouraged, I think Dominic has started this forum with a good measure of common sense and right principle.

As I said earlier as long as people discuss the topic and not the posters, no-one need have any fear of posting. As long as people accept there is more than 1 opinion on everything and move away from black and white arguments and refusal to shift opinion, there will be healthy discussion and swapping of views.

Pete
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:24 am

Maggie B
That's an easy one. I have created a group called "The Naughty Step". I set permissions so that anybody in the naughty step group would not be able to see the "Learning Greek" forum. I chose that one as a test. Anyway, I made myself a member of that group, and all of a sudden I was unable to even see the "Learning Greek" group.

All I need to to is create Politics Lite, or whatever I call it, and set it so that anybody in the naughty step group won't be able to see it. Then, if anybody does overstep the line, they will be put in the naughty step group, and thus be unable to see the Politics Lite group. They will still be able to post in the other Politics group however.

Naughty step for me please! :P
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Maggie B wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:46 am I LOVE IT DOMINIC. Do you love it geoffreys?
:-)
MB
I don't believe it!
Geoff.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

:lol: :lol:

Have you seen that Father Ted episode "The Mainland"?
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

I give up. I'll just retire hurt.
Geoff.
keving

Post by keving »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:24 am

Maggie B

Dominic, how about calling a new section "Politics for Moderates" ?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree with your thoughts Dominic,
As long as you are careful in the way you write things and avoid anything which you think with provoke an unpleasant response, things are usually quite civil! I never make personal comments about other board members.
I enjoy the mental stimulation that posting on some political happenings and reading other members responses brings.
I learnt to be very careful in what I wrote on Jim's forum to avoid possible repercussions!

Dee
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

I dont believe this either and think it is a sad reflection on the purpose of the forum. How many other topics will get split because someone somewhere feels mortally offended. I dont like bullying in any form and in my opinion those who persistently do so should be banished. There are some topics that can easily bring out the best or worst in some people and politics is one of them. As Lord Montgomery once said when asked if he would take up a political career " No -War is dirty but politics are even dirtier" how true.

Maggie B - Come on now Maggie I would pit you against anyone who tried to bully you and I am sure as hell convinced you can more than hold your own in any debate so dont be frit - we need you in the kitchen (not literally of course) and that goes for those others who understandably at times feel they do not wish to participate.

Rita
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Rita

Good post, hear, hear.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No other topic would. There is no need. I cannot envisage the Pruning Militia being up in arms against the Popular Lawnmower's Front.

The only other forum which could get heated would be the Religeon forum, but that is pretty moribund anyway. All it contains is a solitary trump.

I think "Politics for Moderates" is a good title. It applies to moderate views across the entire political persuasion.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

PeteandSylvi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:57 am
geoffreys wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:51 am
Maggie B wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 pm Well my tuppence worth is; I reckon Dominic has got it right on the button with his suggestion.

I would totally cr÷p myself having the cheek to make a comment on the Political Section - even though I do have some opinions on it.

Some of you lot would scare the bejesus out of me if I dared to share my thoughts.

That's got to be a bit pish. Everyone should be able to have a wee say without being made to feel like a complete twassock!!! Right or wrong.

Maggie B
We could have all sorts of political forums/sections:
Cyprus Politics AKEL supporters
Cyprus Politics DISY supporters
Cyprus Politics DIKO supporters
etc
UK Politics Tory Supporters
UK Politics Labour Supporters
UK Politics Lib Dums Supporters
UK Politics SNP Trouble Maker Supporters
etc

What difference would it make if we did?
Geoff.
That wouldn't work at all. Each of those sections would be busy agreeing with each other they are the best and possibly ridiculing the others. It is not a way to get good, reasoned debate going and I apply that same point to the behaviour of politicians in parliaments. I consider party political divisions to be the biggest handicap to working democracy. Now there's a topic for discussion!

I find it shocking that there are members who would be afraid to voice their opinions. While I can understand that happening on Cyprus Living and Paphos People where the bully boys are allowed to roam freely and general ridicule is encouraged, I think Dominic has started this forum with a good measure of common sense and right principle.

As I said earlier as long as people discuss the topic and not the posters, no-one need have any fear of posting. As long as people accept there is more than 1 opinion on everything and move away from black and white arguments and refusal to shift opinion, there will be healthy discussion and swapping of views.

Pete
Good post Pete.

I totally agree.

Wallace
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

I am concerned that few members have expressed a view on this topic, why is this?
My concern is based on the fact that whatever happens will affect all members
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Wallace wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:26 pm I am concerned that few members have expressed a view on this topic, why is this?
I've expressed mine! :D

I think we already have two layers of discussion areas - politics and the pit for if/when it becomes personal...

I don't believe that adding another layer would be beneficial or produce anything of interest...

Still, it won't cost anything to set it up and see if people like it or respect its rules.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Wallace wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:26 pm I am concerned that few members have expressed a view on this topic, why is this?
They are probably not confident enough to post, or scared to.
Have no fears - we are all nice people on here, honest.
Well most of the time :lol:
Geoff.