Politics

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Politics

Post by Dominic »

Politics is always going to be a potentially explosive topic. However, while some people like to go at each other hammer and tongs, other people prefer more gentle discussion where they can voice opinions without getting shouted down.

I believe there is a place for both types of discussion, but I think they deserve separate sections. So I am thinking of introducing a new political section: Politics Lite*

In this section, there will be no tolerance of aggressive behavior. No name calling. Nothing. Just FRIENDLY chat about politics.

In the existing political section, it will be as it is now. It will still not be anything goes, but if you post in there the response is likely to be more "bar room" than "living room".

Now, I will only set up this section if people are interested in it. So please post your feelings below.

* feel free to come up with a better title.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
geoffreys

Re: Politics

Post by geoffreys »

"Politics" was fine for all posts. Those who can't stand the hear can just get out of the kitchen.
IMO
Up to you Dominic, it is your forum.
Geoff.
Last edited by geoffreys on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

What's about doing a section of CYPRUS politics instead.!?
As the forum is about Paphos it is interesting enough what is going on here...

Max
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

geoffreys wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:01 pm "Politics" was fine for all posts. Those who can't stand the hear can just get out of the kitchen.
IMO
Up to you Dominic, it is your forum.
Gdeoff.
I agree...

'Politics' will always be divisive with everybody having differing political standpoints. Brexit more so as it is a binary choice.

I'd say keep politics as it is with The Pit as a backup if discussions get out of hand.

I wouldn't personally want to get involved in a Cyprob debate thanks.

However, like Geoff says, your gaff, your rules...
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes a section on Cyprus politics, but it might need moderating at times. I think that there is lots to talk about at present and it could be interesting to hear different views as long as people avoid getting too heated.

The existing Politics section is fine, with use of the 'pit' if required.

Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Personally I find it a pity that in this day and age, fairly intelligent adults are unable to discuss anything, without resorting to swearing, name calling and down right rudeness to each other.

As I see it, the Political section is fine, it just needs posters to be more adult, without the use of insults and bad language. Discussion should be just that, not aggressive arguments.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Why do we need a separate section for Cyprus politics? Surely it all comes under the heading of, well, politics doesn't it?

As to original question, I don't see the need to split it, but am happy either way!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well, so far, nobody seems actively interested in it. I will only implement change if change is wanted, so if the comments continue in the same vein then all will remain as it is now.

Which will probably be the only time we all agree on something political. :lol:
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:58 pm Well, so far, nobody seems actively interested in it. I will only implement change if change is wanted, so if the comments continue in the same vein then all will remain as it is now.

You are right there Sir,
Geoff.
johnoddy

Post by johnoddy »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:33 am Politics is always going to be a potentially explosive topic. However, while some people like to go at each other hammer and tongs, other people prefer more gentle discussion where they can voice opinions without getting shouted down.

I believe there is a place for both types of discussion, but I think they deserve separate sections. So I am thinking of introducing a new political section: Politics Lite*

In this section, there will be no tolerance of aggressive behavior. No name calling. Nothing. Just FRIENDLY chat about politics.

In the existing political section, it will be as it is now. It will still not be anything goes, but if you post in there the response is likely to be more "bar room" than "living room".

Now, I will only set up this section if people are interested in it. So please post your feelings below.

How about "Corbynista Corner" .....that's very lite.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

johnoddy wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:11 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:33 am Politics is always going to be a potentially explosive topic. However, while some people like to go at each other hammer and tongs, other people prefer more gentle discussion where they can voice opinions without getting shouted down.

How about "Corbynista Corner" .....that's very lite.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

geoffreys wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:28 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:58 pm Well, so far, nobody seems actively interested in it. I will only implement change if change is wanted, so if the comments continue in the same vein then all will remain as it is now.

You are right there Sir,
Geoff.
I think you are trying to sort a problem with aggressive and personal responses to posters expressing legitimate views.
The pit tends to stop further debate, so your idea is worth pursuing to negate the need for the pit.
I feel the nature of some responses may well put of some people from posting at all, which benefits no one.
I observed CL, but never posted due to some of the bizarre, personal and agressive posts.
You could call it the Bullring!
Last edited by Wallace on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

I always welcome the opportunity to share opinions and learn from others. The overriding need on forums is for members to remember they should be discussing the topic not the poster. Disagreement will happen immediately with politics and many other issues including, as we've recently seen, Art. But if the disagreement is kept to the topic there will be no need or occurrence of name calling and other unpleasantness.

Discussing politics can be very positive. We are all living in a time of change throughout the world. There is a move to the right and it can be argued democracy is being redefined.

Pete
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Wallace wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:17 pm
geoffreys wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:28 pm

You are right there Sir,
Geoff.
I think you are trying to sort a problem with aggressive and personal responses to posters expressing legitimate views.
The pit tends to stop further debate, so your idea is worth pursuing to negate the need for the pit.
I feel the nature of some responses may well put of some people from posting at all, which benefits no one.
I observed CL, but never posted due to some of the bizarre, personal and agressive posts.
You could call it the Bullring!
Or the Naughty Corner!
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

We need to bear in mind that many people looking at this site are considering moving to Cyprus, looking for information etc.
Some of the banter may well put them off registering, it would me!
Examples, Geoff criticised for daring to own a property in the North, HIC, faces repeated sarcastic comments. I know they are both able to handle themselves, but that is not the point. Respect and common courtesy should be expected and honoured by us all.
In my view this debate will shape the future of this forum.
Will get out my ouiji board to see if anyone is out there!!!
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Well my tuppence worth is; I reckon Dominic has got it right on the button with his suggestion.

I would totally cr÷p myself having the cheek to make a comment on the Political Section - even though I do have some opinions on it.

Some of you lot would scare the bejesus out of me if I dared to share my thoughts.

That's got to be a bit pish. Everyone should be able to have a wee say without being made to feel like a complete twassock!!! Right or wrong.

Maggie B
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Maggie B wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 pm Well my tuppence worth is; I reckon Dominic has got it right on the button with his suggestion.

I would totally cr÷p myself having the cheek to make a comment on the Political Section - even though I do have some opinions on it.

Some of you lot would scare the bejesus out of me if I dared to share my thoughts.

That's got to be a bit pish. Everyone should be able to have a wee say without being made to feel like a complete twassock!!! Right or wrong.

Maggie B
Good on you Maggie.

I'm sure many others share your view!

Wallace
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Maggie B wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 pm Well my tuppence worth is; I reckon Dominic has got it right on the button with his suggestion.

Maggie B
We could have all sorts of political forums/sections:
Cyprus Politics AKEL supporters
Cyprus Politics DISY supporters
Cyprus Politics DIKO supporters
etc
UK Politics Tory Supporters
UK Politics Labour Supporters
UK Politics Lib Dums Supporters
UK Politics SNP Trouble Maker Supporters
etc

What difference would it make if we did?
Geoff.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Not a 'Dicky Bird.' You are perfectly correct.

MB
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

geoffreys wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:51 am

Maggie B
We could have all sorts of political forums/sections:
Cyprus Politics AKEL supporters
Cyprus Politics DISY supporters
Cyprus Politics DIKO supporters
etc
UK Politics Tory Supporters
UK Politics Labour Supporters
UK Politics Lib Dums Supporters
UK Politics SNP Trouble Maker Supporters
etc

What difference would it make if we did?
Geoff.
I'm not suggesting splitting the politics section along party lines. I am suggesting splitting it along the lines of who wants to be in the kitchen, and who wants to be in the sitting room. So if you can't stand the heat, as you put it, get out of the kitchen and into the sitting room.