Politics

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Politics

Post by Dominic »

To edit your post, look at the icons above it. Click the one that looks like a little pencil.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:10 pm I agree with you Kili01. In the politics for moderates section, neither term will be allowed. You will be expected to discuss politics without insulting people.

And by you I mean everybody, not you specifically. :)
Why is insulting people acceptable in the non-moderate section?

Pete
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:03 pm I am happy for Dominics solution to the political posting controversy to go ahead. At least those who don't like discussion of political topics won't be offended as they have opted to be excluded from it.
However, I object to the calling of names for those who voted to Remain. Why should we be branded as Remainers, just because we don't wholeheartedly agree with the Brexit policy?
The United Kingdom is a democratic country, so people should be able to accept a differing view from their own. Lets also stop name calling ie Chinese are called Chinese not as one member wrote. Lets respect the many nationalities who live and visit here.
Dee
Most of us I am sure had nicknames at school, isn't that just another form of branding! I am by definition a "Remainer" but I don't have a problem with it ............... the more you rise to the bait the more they'll pursue you, and there are several on here who will! :roll:

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PeteandSylvi wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:14 pm
Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:10 pm I agree with you Kili01. In the politics for moderates section, neither term will be allowed. You will be expected to discuss politics without insulting people.

And by you I mean everybody, not you specifically. :)
Why is insulting people acceptable in the non-moderate section?

Pete
Political discussions can get overheated, and insults can fly. Some people prefer that kind of discussion. If anybody finds that unacceptable, all they have to do is join the aforementioned group.

However, even the political section has its limits. When things get too out of hand, they end up in the pit.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

I want to be in both groups. Is that possible?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Wallace wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:28 pm I want to be in both groups. Is that possible?
If I understand it right, and I probably don't, you can only do it as an observer ............. bit like a read only file? :?

Shane
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

ApusApus wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:33 pm
Wallace wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:28 pm I want to be in both groups. Is that possible?
If I understand it right, and I probably don't, you can only do it as an observer ............. bit like a read only file? :?

Shane
So you are as confused as I am!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No. I will explain it again, more clearly (hopefully).

There will be two FORUMS.

Politics (as it is now)
Politics for moderates

By default, everybody will have access to both forums.

If you don't want to see the Politics for Moderates FORUM, you can join a GROUP. Anybody in that GROUP will not be able to see the Politics for Moderates FORUM.

Ditto for the Politics group.

So, assuming Wallace wants to see both forums, he has to do NOTHING. You will only have to do anything if you don't want to see a forum.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Right I have set this up so you can test this for yourself.

1. Open your user control panel (where you change your password etc)
2. Click on the usergroups tab.
3. Tick the "Please Hide Politics" group.
4. Confirm when asked.

Now try and view the politics forum. You won't be able to.

You can go back and uncheck it and be able to see politics again.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Did you decide this on a 52:48 vote by any chance? ;)

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well the beauty of this solution is that if you disagree with it you just have to join the "Please Hide Politics For Moderates" group.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:01 pm Well the beauty of this solution is that if you disagree with it you just have to join the "Please Hide Politics For Moderates" group.
Ahhh ........... an either or choice nice :)

Shane
smudger

Post by smudger »

I truly struggle with this 'offence' stance. I'm white, of UK origin, as are my family for several generations past, albeit some of Romany origins.

Why would I feel the need to be offended by the use of some other name, monicker, term..... for someone of another race, colour or creed? It affects me not one jot, so why do I need to feel offended?? This has to be down to the person implicated, not others wholly uninvolved surely? Why do do many see the need to assume 'offence' for something which does not affect them at all?

If someone makes comments which reflect on me, my family, my inheritance, my future I may react accordingly, but fail to see why I need to feel offence on behalf of someone else!!

It's becoming a culture - a word I struggle to see the use of most of the time as it is so misused - but in this sense it is a habit, an excuse, an apology. Why can't we all feel offence for the things which affect us all, PERSONALLY, not universally!

Stop the offence culture!!!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What "offence" stance? I don't think the word "offence" has been used once on this thread.

But if you don't like the idea of a moderate political forum, all you will have to do is join the group and you will not see it.

Similarly, anybody offended by more robust debate, will be able to join the group blocking that.

If anything, this should reduce the chances of people getting offended, because the simple answer will be "Join the group".