Easy Jets new policy/ bright idea

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Easy Jets new policy/ bright idea

Post by Kili01 »

I have just be changing the date of my return flight to Paphos, i have discovered that it seems that their latest policy is to abolish speedy boarding or it appears seat selection. Now the new policy is to have (allocated(by them) seats. In fact speedy boarding is availabke, but to be eligible for this you have to buy an extra special Annual Speedy Boarding Pass at a cost of nearly £200! Maybe if one flies continually, but for the average person who only flies a few times a year this cost seems a bit excessive in relation to its benefits.
What do you think?

Dee
exodus

Re: Easy Jets new policy/ bright idea

Post by exodus »

Don't fly Easyjet again!
You need to ask?
Amos.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They are called no-thrills airlines for a reason.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

When does this start? Just gone on the website & it’s allowing me to book seats in March
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:33 pm
exodus wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:25 pmDon't fly Easyjet again! You need to ask? Amos.
A rather unhelpful, indeed sarky, answer don't you think Amos?

BA now only fly from LCA to Heathrow out of season (and even then at crap times) once a day, while Easyjet uniquely fly to a dozen UK airports daily and sometimes several times a day. Their coverage of UK airports is beaten by no-one.

If Dee is not to fly Easyjet to her preferred destination, who would you suggest she flies with?
In fairness to Amos, Dee asked what people thought. Both Amos and I said what we thought.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

It could be that it was unavailable because Dee wanted to change seats. We changed flights for our flight back in November, but it was done by phone and they still honoured our speedy boarding booking.

As I read it on the website, by choosing and paying for an upfront or extra legroom you still get speedy boarding. We shall continue to book upfront seats as it is worth having speedy boarding at Manchester to use the fast track security in order to avoid the sometimes horrendously long queues at security.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/fees
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Dee, I just went to have a look at Easyjet flights, as they are my airline of choice. I was looking at flights from Cyprus to Gatwick in January. What I found was that you can still get Speedy Boarding, but to do so you have to pay for either Up Front or Extra Legroom seats, which are an additional £18.99 per seat. For this price, along with the Speedy Boarding, you also get to take an extra bag on board (so in effect you get two cabin bags).

This used to be much cheaper, and we did it all the time. £18.99 each, on a return flight, seems a bit expensive coming in as it does at just under £76.00. However, whenever we have gone for the seats allocated by Easyjet, we have always sat together unless we booked last minute onto a busy flight.

You can still get seating allocated by them, as you rightly say. You can also book your own seat, but at a cost of £4.49 per seat.

I believe the other system you mention is the Easyjet Plus cardholder scheme, whereby you always get Speedy Boarding, with its extra benefits, along with being able to change your flights if necessary, without occurring fees.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

That's exactly the same as the Ryanair policy for 'Priority Boarding'. What copycats!

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
June

Post by June »

Anarita John, you don't need speedy boarding for the fast track at Manchester.

Just go to the Airport website and you can buy passes for £7.50 for two, I've used it a couple of times recently.

Have to agree, well worth it.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Dee,

I think this may be just down to the fact that it's a change to an existing booking? I've just tried a random sets of dates between PFO & LGW (without actually booking) and can see the option to choose individual seats. It may also be that the flight is fully booked and people have chosen the seat you originally had, sop now all that's left are standard seats - and the only way to get speed boarding with one of those seats is if you have the easyJet Plus card.

As far as I can see, the policy hasn't changed, I think it's just a limitation of the online system - might be worth a call to Customer Services if you haven't tried that yet.

There's no such standalone product as Speedy Boarding that you can buy now - it was a standalone product in the days before they finally relented and introduced allocated seating, that got you near the front of the queue for the starting blocks so you could choose a seat on the plane to suit your preference, be it near the front, at the back, an aisle seat or a window seat. Now it's just something that comes if you pay for specific seats such as the up front rows or the 2 rows by the wing exit doors. The standard seats, which you also pay for to choose at time of booking, don't come with speedy boarding - even though some of them are in the front half of the aircraft. Config depending on whether it's a A319 or A320 aircraft config:

Row 1 - extra legroom and includes SB
Rows 2 - 6 - up front seats include SB
Rows 7 -11 standard seats with no SB
Rows 12 -13 - extra leg room by wing exits includes SB
Everything behind that is a standard seat with now SB included in the price

The easyJet plus card mentioned above is aimed at regular frequent travellers, Mrs W has one, and includes, amongst other things, the ability to book any of the 3 seat categories without the extra cost - which could be anywhere on the plane and automatically includes speedy boarding regardless of the seat category booked.

I wish they'd dropped the Speedy Boarding name when they changed to allocated seating, I've had loads of 'discussions' with people who perhaps don't travel so often, who don't get why they can't book Speedy Boarding like they used to be able to. It's now just a function of how much extra your prepared to pay for a certain group of seats.

Mrs W also had a problem recently where being a hawkeye, she spotted that the flight cost had been reduced (for which you can get a refund) but to do this they have to cancel your booking and when she then went back in online, couldn't choose her 'old' seat until they manually released it again and allocated it back to her.

Ian
J B

Post by J B »

June wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:47 pm Anarita John, you don't need speedy boarding for the fast track at Manchester.

Just go to the Airport website and you can buy passes for £7.50 for two, I've used it a couple of times recently.

Have to agree, well worth it.
I'm not sure it's 'well worth it' at all :D

We took 90 minutes to get through security at MAN on a Sunday in June (the day of the Aranda Grande tribute concert, so the M6 was solid!)
So, the next twice we paid for 'fast track' and reckoned it saved us maybe five minutes each time! :o

Oh well. :cry:
J B
exodus

Post by exodus »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:33 pm
exodus wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:25 pmDon't fly Easyjet again! You need to ask? Amos.
A rather unhelpful, indeed sarky, answer don't you think Amos?

BA now only fly from LCA to Heathrow out of season (and even then at crap times) once a day, while Easyjet uniquely fly to a dozen UK airports daily and sometimes several times a day. Their coverage of UK airports is beaten by no-one.

If Dee is not to fly Easyjet to her preferred destination, who would you suggest she flies with?
As Dominic says she asked for comments so I gave mine.
If I knew what her preferred destination was I might be able to answer your question.
Amos.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dont usually fly Easy jet because I avoid Gatwick, but when Ive flown with them , I cannot fault them...does what its says on the tin.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

We have been using Easyjet out of Manchester for the last 2/3 years and we never pre book seats. Providing you check in as soon as possible (i.e 30 days from departure ) the auto allocation has always put us together even when 6 have been travelling. There was talk that Ryanair purposely separated passengers on the auto allocation to ensure they paid to move their allocated seats. Unless Easyjet adopt the same tactics, this change shouldn't affect things, provided you get in early !!!!
daveg

Post by daveg »

BA now only fly from LCA to Heathrow out of season (and even then at crap times)

Have to disagree hic, have a flight booked with BA on the 4 th January, gets into Paphos at 7 pm ....Agree it's from Gatwick not Heathrow , but good times and only £45 one way...