Log burners and carbon monoxide.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
RattyPatty

Log burners and carbon monoxide.

Post by RattyPatty »

ADMIN NOTE

This post consisted of a link to a closed facebook group post. There is no point posting such links here. People already in the facebook group will already have seen it on Facebook. People not in the facebook group won't be able to see it because of permissions.

Now, the general gist of the thread made perfect sense. It was a warning not to store ash from the fire inside, as it can give off carbon monoxide.

The above link was also posted on the Paphos Chat facebook group, which is the newly started facebook space for this forum, but I deleted it from there, because it didn't display due to permissions issues.

I have no problem with people passing on information like this, just please do so in a format that people can actually read. :)
RattyPatty

Re: Log burners and carbon monoxide.

Post by RattyPatty »

Sorry Dominic. Didn't know I was breaking the rules. It is the first time I have tried to share anything but with all the talk about log burners I thought it would be a useful post. (Amazed that I actually managed to do it!). Pat
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You misunderstand me Pat. You didn't break my rules. You were breaking Facebook's rules. And it isn't even a rule as such. From what I can tell, the original share from the UK was posted to a closed group. You cannot share content posted to a closed group, because it is closed. Groups are closed for very good reasons. Otherwise they get full of spammers.

Anyway, if you post a share from a closed group, nobody else can see it, unless they are also a member of that group.

When you posted the link on Paphos Chat, it wouldn't function, for reasons explained above. That was the only reason I deleted it, because it wasn't showing. What a lot of people do in such instances, is take a screenshot of the original post, and share that. I appreciate that this may not be practical, but that is about the only solution that works.

To cut a long story short, you didn't do anything BAD, you did something that didn't work.

Hope that clarifies it for you. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

As far as I am aware you cannot share a post from a closed FB group. At least you can't from the one I run.
Trev..
robf

Post by robf »

BBC have reported the folowing

Carbon monoxide warning over ash from stoves
10 December 2017

CO readings over 70 parts per million indicate a potentially life-threatening situation
Firefighters are warning people not to keep ash from wood-burning stoves inside because of the danger of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
It follows an incident in Newton Abbot on Saturday when a CO alarm went off, but the log burner had "zero readings".
Crews discovered the colourless, odourless and tasteless gas was coming from a bucket of ash in the lounge.
Embers in the bucket gave off potentially-lethal readings of 378 parts per million (ppm).
Health effects from exposure to CO levels of approximately 1 to 70 ppm are uncertain, but as levels increase and remain above 70 ppm, symptoms including headaches, fatigue and nausea will become more noticeable and can become life-threatening within three hours.
"The occupier empties the old ash from the log burner into the bucket regularly but does not take it outside until its full," the brigade said on its Facebook page.
"The embers were producing CO into the lounge which caused the CO alarm to sound - luckily for this person they had an alarm."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42300475
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:54 pm As far as I am aware you cannot share a post from a closed FB group. At least you can't from the one I run.
This is true. I think the problem is that people assume that to mean: "we won't let you" when in fact it means "facebook won't let you".

But if they did, it wouldn't be a closed group.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Maureen Paphos

Post by Maureen Paphos »

wow ...really interesting to learn, we have a log burner but David always puts the ashes outside the following morning.