Applying for UK State Pension

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Re: Applying for UK State Pension

Post by MacManiac »

Finally finished the electronic form, without needing to phone the helpline. What an ambiguous form it is. All ready to print it out and sign it but there was a last minute hitch. We had run out of printer paper. Oh well! There's always tomorrow.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Having posted my application along with original Birth and Marriage certificates by Cyprus Post Ordinary unrecorded snail mail on 7 Dec I received my birth and marriage certificates back from a NI address on Fri 22 Dec. So a turnaround of 3 weeks, seems pretty good to me and now just waiting for a letter to say they need more info!
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Please be aware that all incoming mail received by DWP UK is scanned, including enclosed original documents. They then forward the whole scan through to the relevant department, as well as returning the original documents to the applicant via the postal system, straight away.

Don't ask me what happens to the paperwork forms they receive, though. Shredded and recycled? Incinerated? No idea...

Suffice it to say that the DWP department concerned who receive the scans will have a backlog. In the case of Pension Credit, it was 8 weeks when I applied in July. If they make a mistake, and you challenge them, it's another 8 weeks before they correct it...

Hopefully, State Pension backlogs aren't quite as bad, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

AL :(
Gone but not forgotten...
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

The money is not important or when I get it, so no problem with any delays for whatever reason. I can still afford a pint if I want one.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

PaphosAL wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:18 pm Please be aware that all incoming mail received by DWP UK is scanned, including enclosed original documents. They then forward the whole scan through to the relevant department, as well as returning the original documents to the applicant via the postal system, straight away.

Don't ask me what happens to the paperwork forms they receive, though. Shredded and recycled? Incinerated? No idea...

Suffice it to say that the DWP department concerned who receive the scans will have a backlog. In the case of Pension Credit, it was 8 weeks when I applied in July. If they make a mistake, and you challenge them, it's another 8 weeks before they correct it...

Hopefully, State Pension backlogs aren't quite as bad, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

What a ray of sunshine you are ...
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

MacManiac wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:22 am
PaphosAL wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:18 pm Please be aware that all incoming mail received by DWP UK is scanned, including enclosed original documents. They then forward the whole scan through to the relevant department, as well as returning the original documents to the applicant via the postal system, straight away.

What a ray of sunshine you are ...
Sorry, m8- only relating my own ongoing personal experience with DWP (PC) since my dear wife passed away on 6th July this year. Our Pension Guarantee Credit was in her name for both of us. I applied for it to be continued in my name only from that date onwards, on 10th July. Eventually got a reply in early October, which was clearly mistaken.

After a few phone calls, someone finally admitted a mistake had been made and that credit would be applied to my account, plus an explanatory letter would be issued... They deposited the missing benefits (nearly £600) into my account at the end of October.

Here we are on 26th December, and I'm still waiting for their explanatory letter! Don't worry, I'm NOT being a prophet of doom here! You WILL get your SP all back paid to your 65th birthday. I'm just saying that due to varying backlogs in the different DWP sections, you might just need to be patient, that's all...

The fact that you received your original documents back so relatively quickly is a good omen for others on here who are undergoing a similar exercise. Their main interest on cross-checking your employment history is to establish if you have any Occupational Pensions due (or active), in which case they inform HMRC for tax purposes, SP being taxable...

AL :)
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Just tracked my application form and my documents, which I took to Polis Post Office on 20th December. They were received, and signed for in the UK, on 28th December - which I think is pretty impressive given that Christmas intervened. The only problem is that my darling wife has already earmarked the first few months of my pension for essentials. Hmm ...
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

The penultimate part of this jigsaw has now fallen into place. My certificates were returned by registered post yesterday, which again is a fast turnaround. Now it's a matter of waiting to see whether they start paying my pension in March sometime, which would be quite welcome given the fall in the pound of late. Thanks to all who contributed.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

An update on the Pensions process and I guess the link to entitlement to Overseas health cover. I have now received my S1 from the DWP, Overseas Healthcare Team. The date of issue was one month before my birthday, and checking back my wifes S1 was also issued approx one month before her 65th birthday. Perhaps their is a trigger there somewhere to mail out these forms or maybe the Depts talk internally and an application for Pension prompts issue of S1. Dunno.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I think it's automatic, bromerzz. Nanny state is taking care of you and wifey! :)
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

My state pension update - Ok Todays post had confirmation of my pension which starts next week. So from posting the application on 7 Dec to receiving confirmation on 16 Jan. Whats that - just short of 7 weeks? Not bad. the confirmation letter was actually dated 22 Dec and has taken some 3 and a bit weeks to get here.
staffie

Post by staffie »

may I ask a question regarding uk state pension,

I understand that uk state pension paid every 4 weeks to Cyprus, and is it paid tourists rate, or business rate, any answers would be welcomed.
thanks all.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

The UK pension paid into a Cypriot Bank usually enjoys a good exchange rate - certainly far better than the tourist rate however you are of course subject to the fluctuations. Some people who have kept a Bank account in the UK have their pension paid into that and then send it over when rates improve which of course is a bit of a gamble and depends on whether
or not you rely on that monthly income.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Although the DWP default for SP payments is every 4 weeks, they will pay it weekly if you prefer. Just ask them!

Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

The only choice I can see on my application is 4 weeks or 13 weeks . I think one week would be a bit too much of an ask , for a pensioner living in sunny Cyprus .
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I had to request a weekly SP payment over the phone with them. No problem, and paid into my account every Friday for the past 5+ years. (Thursday, if next day is a Bank Holiday).

Problem with a 4 weekly cycle, as I saw it, was all my DD bills are calendar monthly. So it doesn't take too long before they go out of sync, making budgeting for some a more fiddly task...

Same applies to other UK benefits, apparently, such as Attendance Allowance, Pension Credit etc

staffie

Post by staffie »

thanks all for kind replies,
tourist rates = 1.10€
business rates = 1.13€

so state pension perhaps 1.1150
roughly in-between as a rough guide I guess ???
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

I do believe that four-weekly and thirteen-weekly payments are available to those who want their pensions paid to an overseas bank. Weekly payments are available when paid into a UK bank, as far as I understand.
Last edited by MacManiac on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Mac is right about the Weekly Payments to a UK Bank..
" State Pension is normally paid into a Bank, Building Society, or Post Office card account. Payment can be made weekly, or at the end of every 4 or 13 weeks. "
Trev..
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Just to bring this thread to a logical conclusion. I received a letter today telling me that "they have decided" that my application for a UK State Pension has been approved and that it will be paid into my bank account etc. etc. etc.

The amount that I was quoted in my pension forecast in 2016 (I think) was accurate to the penny, but does not include the 2018 pension increase of 3% (as my 65th birthday falls at the end of February). My form was posted on 20th December, 2017, and the confirmation was received today on 26th January, 2018. So 37 days to the day, if my maths are correct.