Military Manoeuvres

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PW in Polemi

Military Manoeuvres

Post by PW in Polemi »

I see (and hear) that aerial military manoeuvres are being carried out again.
Yesterday and up to gone 9pm last night, it was helicopters, very low and very much overhead. This morning, I've just been buzzed by a couple of fighter jets.
So.... should I be glad the pilots are honing their skills, or worried that they feel the need to? :D (Imminent need of said skills is implied.)
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Military Manoeuvres

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PW in Polemi wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 am I see (and hear) that aerial military manoeuvres are being carried out again.
Yesterday and up to gone 9pm last night, it was helicopters, very low and very much overhead. This morning, I've just been buzzed by a couple of fighter jets.
So.... should I be glad the pilots are honing their skills, or worried that they feel the need to? :D (Imminent need of said skills is implied.)

Obviously they are still looking for the UFO invasion, which happened yesterday night (and I photographed them) as the helicopters gave up in the end, late in the evening.... :roll:
Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I saw 4 planes. Our bunny was surprisingly calm though. He's normally a good barometer of world peace, so I think we can relax.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Two helicopter above Amargeti village right now

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

plane.jpg
plane.jpg (79.96 KiB) Viewed 5310 times
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Looks like a bit like a spot of flying training.... saw the planes here too. But 2 aircraft flying around isn't exactly going to impress Turkey, though it may raise the spirits in the south!

Dee
Ams

Post by Ams »

It's not just in the air, there are soldiers doing ground exercises too.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:03 pm Looks like a bit like a spot of flying training.... saw the planes here too. But 2 aircraft flying around isn't exactly going to impress Turkey, though it may raise the spirits in the south!

Dee
There were four planes. They flew around six months ago without Turkey caring, so why would they care now?
robf

Post by robf »

I understand the initial knee jerk reaction after the Turkish invasion, but just don’t understand why Cyprus invests so much money and resources in defence spending. If Turkey wanted, they could walk all over them without batting an eyelid. The only influence that I can see over Turkey has been political, with the involvement of USA, Russia and the UK. I don’t see that changing just because Cyprus has spent another few millions worth on shiny bombs that they never get to work, or conscription. They could save a fortune and invest it in something much more worthwhile.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

H1C, I never said that it doesn't! Having been in the RAF myself and worked on all types of flying stations, including in adminstration for flying training for pilots and on operations!! The remark was a bit tongue in cheek, saying that a couple of aircraft flying in formation, if you like, wouldn't impress the Turks!
I also think that Cyprus would do better to spend more money on other more important types of infrastructure which the island needs rather than wasting money on new armaments. They don't have any military operational aircraft these days apart from a few helicopters!

Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

HIC,
You have the last word!!

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

[quote=robf post_id=43726 time=1512402825 user_id=598]
I understand the initial knee jerk reaction after the Turkish invasion, but just don’t understand why Cyprus invests so much money and resources in defence spending. If Turkey wanted, they could walk all over them without batting an eyelid. The only influence that I can see over Turkey has been political, with the involvement of USA, Russia and the UK. I don’t see that changing just because Cyprus has spent another few millions worth on shiny bombs that they never get to work, or conscription. They could save a fortune and invest it in something much more worthwhile.
[/quot
Make your mind up, which one is, it a few million or a fortune? :roll:
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Some more infos about the topic from todays article in Paphos Press, (google translation)

You will rub your eyes on what Israel brought to Paphos (video)
From
Pafos Press -
December 4, 2017

F-15I and F-16I fighter jets of the Israeli air force and F-35 fighters are currently flying to the FIR of Cyprus and will fly over the Cypriot territory as part of a joint exercise with the Cypriot armed forces.

It is the first time the Israelis will test the capabilities of the F-35 against the Russian air defense system of Cyprus (TOR-M1 and BUK-M1-2).

A total of 36 Israeli aircraft, naval troops from both countries and the air defense system of Cyprus are participating. Two of these are the F-35 Adir, with the capability to locate the Turkish F-16 from a distance of more than 200 km.

Exercises of this type are considered very important for both Cyprus and Israel. Israel's pilots test their aircraft in the Russian air defense system (TOR-M1 and BUK-M1-2), and Cyprus controls the efficiency of its umbrella against its F-16 aircraft and Turkey.

It should be noted that the exercise is conducted across the entire range of the Cyprus FIR. The exercise named "Onisilos - Gedeon" is made with real fire.

Within the framework of the annual program of military cooperation between Cyprus and Israel, three exercises with the names "JASON", "NIKOKLIS-DAY" and "ONISOLOS-GEDES" are held yesterday from Sunday 3 December to 7 December.

Israeli gains the strategic depth that Cyprus deserves (a promise that remains to be proved in practice ...) protection that the mother-Greece can not offer because of the economic catastrophe that greatly disturbed the Greek armed forces and neutralized the single defensive doctrine.

Source: Pronews.gr

I wonder whereabout the Russian air defence systems are installed.... :roll: in the past it was planned at Inia, anybody knows :?:

https://pafospress.com/%ce%b8%ce%b1-%cf ... b5-%cf%84/

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 am Some more infos about the topic from todays article in Paphos Press, (google translation)

You will rub your eyes on what Israel brought to Paphos (video)
From
Pafos Press -
December 4, 2017

F-15I and F-16I fighter jets of the Israeli air force and F-35 fighters are currently flying to the FIR of Cyprus and will fly over the Cypriot territory as part of a joint exercise with the Cypriot armed forces.

It is the first time the Israelis will test the capabilities of the F-35 against the Russian air defense system of Cyprus (TOR-M1 and BUK-M1-2).

A total of 36 Israeli aircraft, naval troops from both countries and the air defense system of Cyprus are participating. Two of these are the F-35 Adir, with the capability to locate the Turkish F-16 from a distance of more than 200 km.

Exercises of this type are considered very important for both Cyprus and Israel. Israel's pilots test their aircraft in the Russian air defense system (TOR-M1 and BUK-M1-2), and Cyprus controls the efficiency of its umbrella against its F-16 aircraft and Turkey.

It should be noted that the exercise is conducted across the entire range of the Cyprus FIR. The exercise named "Onisilos - Gedeon" is made with real fire.

Within the framework of the annual program of military cooperation between Cyprus and Israel, three exercises with the names "JASON", "NIKOKLIS-DAY" and "ONISOLOS-GEDES" are held yesterday from Sunday 3 December to 7 December.

Israeli gains the strategic depth that Cyprus deserves (a promise that remains to be proved in practice ...) protection that the mother-Greece can not offer because of the economic catastrophe that greatly disturbed the Greek armed forces and neutralized the single defensive doctrine.

Source: Pronews.gr

I wonder whereabout the Russian air defence systems are installed.... :roll: in the past it was planned at Inia, anybody knows :?:

https://pafospress.com/%ce%b8%ce%b1-%cf ... b5-%cf%84/

Max
Who to believe our resident expert who said 2 aircraft where flying... or the above..hard one ;)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

As Israel is about an hours flying time from Tel Aviv, perhaps some of the aircraft are coming here to perform set exercises as part of their air defence readiness training?l

Why are we so excited about this exercise? The Cŷpriot Republican Guard have always had similar exercises with friendly countries armed forces every year... in fact the UK forces have similar exercises themselves in co operation with Nato countries forces. Sometimes these exercises are held in Cyprus and they co operate with the Cypriot forces especially in air sea rescues.
Dee
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

In the bad old days of joint Greek / ROC military exercises, Niki Foros for example in October, Turkey could never resist sending a couple of F15 fighters to fly low over Paphos, scaring the shits out of everyone down below...

Maybe the reason they don't do this these days is that they realize the US are supplying better fighters, equipped with better weapons and long-range surveillance to Israel than anything the Turds (oops sorry Typo) Turks have? So it's better for them to skulk in Ankara and create imaginary internal coups then crush them...
Gone but not forgotten...
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

My original post stands, Al. I don't know why people are getting excited about this exercise. It's something that armed forces the world over take part in for training purposes and to maintain and demonstrate that they are ready and able to defend thenselves. Except that Cyprus can't do much itself.
Let's hope that Cyprus will remain peaceful as this is much better for everyone here.

Dee
Mark

Post by Mark »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:08 pm My original post stands, Al. I don't know why people are getting excited about this exercise. It's something that armed forces the world over take part in for training purposes and to maintain and demonstrate that they are ready and able to defend thenselves. Except that Cyprus can't do much itself.
Let's hope that Cyprus will remain peaceful as this is much better for everyone here.

Dee
Good post Dee, and agree with your original post! Cyprus is relatively impotent V Turkey, the support of others is to be applauded.