Reservoir storage

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Wallace

Reservoir storage

Post by Wallace »

The recent pleasant weather is welcomed by us all.
However, apart from snow melt, which will add to reservoir storage, there is little rain forecast for the next 10 days. Despite healthy inflow so far in January , the reservoirs are still short of last years levels, bearing in mind that last years storage was not good, this does not auger well for 2017.
Unless we have significant rainfall, I predict water shortages and possible rationing.

I pray for torrential rain!!!!
Royal

Re: Reservoir storage

Post by Royal »

The reservoir levels are just fine at the moment with the average across Paphos at 39.6% and here in Polis 45.1%. Individually, the Pomos and Argaka reservoirs are currently overflowing.

Considering we have at least 2 months of Winter left, there should not be a problem this Summer.

http://www.cyprus.gov.cy/moa/wdd/wdd.ns ... enDocument
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

It will all depend on how much free or cheap water they let the farmers have.
Geoff.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Having just checked the relevant Cy Govt web site I agree fully with the O.P., Wallace. The Asprokremnos is just over 40%, the Kaniviou is 33% full. This time last year the water levels in the Dams were around 65% full. Bearing in mind that Paphos is the only town in Cyprus which is having or maybe it is now 'had' a desalination plant, the prospects for next summer may be bleak unless we have torrential rains!
We may yet have water rationing next summer, with priority being given to hospitals and hotels.

Dee
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:32 am Having just checked the relevant Cy Govt web site I agree fully with the O.P., Wallace. The Asprokremnos is just over 40%, the Kaniviou is 33% full. This time last year the water levels in the Dams were around 65% full. Bearing in mind that Paphos is the only town in Cyprus which is having or maybe it is now 'had' a desalination plant, the prospects for next summer may be bleak unless we have torrential rains!
We may yet have water rationing next summer, with priority being given to hospitals and hotels.

Dee
There are other desalination plants, all in use; without those we would already have had water cuts.
The Govt has said there will be no water cuts this year as they have adequate capacity from these desalination plants and
have allocated an extra €53M or so to run them. My fear is that will mean much bigger water bills for us all - unless you are
a farmer of course!
Geoff.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

I agree with HiC... :shock:

Early days yet, we are only half-way through January and BTW it is currently raining here in Pissouri! :lol:

February, March and even April can be very wet...
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Wallace wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:27 pm The recent pleasant weather is welcomed by us all.
However, apart from snow melt, which will add to reservoir storage, there is little rain forecast for the next 10 days. Despite healthy inflow so far in January , the reservoirs are still short of last years levels, bearing in mind that last years storage was not good, this does not auger well for 2017.
Unless we have significant rainfall, I predict water shortages and possible rationing.

I pray for torrential rain!!!!
Well, there was no rain forecast here for this morning - but thank goodness I was late in getting the washing on the line 'cos it's just poured down! :D
Anyway, don't want torrential rain, causes too much damage in the run-off. Just plenty of lovely steady rain will do fine, especially up on the hills above the reservoirs.
No need to panic yet about water storage - there's plenty of time for a really soggy February and March and now the Island is damp, the clouds are more likely to drop their rain here - wet attracts wet. :lol:
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Well, Accu Weather showed 10am showers, which happened to bring ONE mm
rain at Tsada area, not far from Polemi.

In my opinion we had our Winter rain already and it is looking
that there is not too much more to come....

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Given that we are still in January, and that there is nothing we can do to encourage rain, why are you worrying about something that is be no means a certainty?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 am Given that we are still in January, and that there is nothing we can do to encourage rain, why are you worrying about something that is be no means a certainty?
We're British - we love to talk about the weather... ;)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, you hit it on the head! Lots of us like discussing the weather, winter and summer!
Actually so do many Cypriots too!

Dee
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

cyprusgrump wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:40 am
Dominic wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 am Given that we are still in January, and that there is nothing we can do to encourage rain, why are you worrying about something that is be no means a certainty?
We're British - we love to talk about the weather... ;)
& worry! :roll:

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I didn't ask why are you talking about the weather. I asked why you were worrying about it?
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

HIC
Not sure if you are referring to my original post, if so it is rather condescending.
The objective of forums, such as this is to discuss a broad spectrum of topics, and I for one will not be put of discussing areas of interest to me.
I am by nature a positive person, love Cyprus, have lived here happily for many years, also long enough to remember having mains water cut off for 4 days per week!
That is negative, is outside my control, but no harm in discussing the possibility of it happening again.

Wallace
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

To be honest since the building boom came to a halt the chances of Cyprus running out of water have been reduced drastically

Sensible use of whatever comes into the dams should be enough to get the country through most droughts. If they can stop people hosing down the pavements on a daily basis then so much the better
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

And you know what many of the older cypriots say about washing down the pavements? You stop wasting water filling up your Pools.
I have to say they have a point! It has always been the way here to wash down the pavements so who are we to say the shouldn't most especially when the majority of us have Pools!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Wallace wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:32 pm HIC
Not sure if you are referring to my original post, if so it is rather condescending.
The objective of forums, such as this is to discuss a broad spectrum of topics, and I for one will not be put of discussing areas of interest to me.
I am by nature a positive person, love Cyprus, have lived here happily for many years, also long enough to remember having mains water cut off for 4 days per week!
That is negative, is outside my control, but no harm in discussing the possibility of it happening again.

Wallace
He was referring to my post, directly above his one.

Besides, asking why you are bothered IS part of the discussion!
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Poppy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:41 pm And you know what many of the older cypriots say about washing down the pavements? You stop wasting water filling up your Pools.
I have to say they have a point! It has always been the way here to wash down the pavements so who are we to say the shouldn't most especially when the majority of us have Pools!

But water in a pool evaporates at the same rate as water in a reservoir - maybe they should look at pools as an additional reserve in case their hosing ever causes a real drought :lol:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Like you Wallace I have also lived here a long time and remember the severe water rationing which can occur in periods where the winter rains fail to fill the reservoirs. Although the paper writes articles which say that there is no need to worry about shortage of rainfall because of desalination -they are talking about Nicosia, Limassol and the east coast towns. They are all covered But Paphos as far as is known does not have a desalination plant. It also has a seperate water supply, not linked to the other towns. We did have a temporary desalination plant which was leased, but it was not used and was expensive to maintain, so the previous Paphos mayor decided to finish the contract. It was due to be dismantled by last Christmas.
Our best hope is with the reunification of the island, which could bring with it access to the mains water supply which is now piped into N. Cyprus from Turkey, which is supposed to be sufficient to supply the whole island!
Dee
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 pm
Wallace wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:32 pm HIC

Wallace
He was referring to my post, directly above his one.

Besides, asking why you are bothered IS part of the discussion!
No problem with positive discussion Dominic.