Report of bad drinking water...(PaphosPress)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Report of bad drinking water...(PaphosPress)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I think people should be informed about cases of bad drinking water ...
https://pafospress.com/%ce%bd%ce%b5%cf% ... b9-%cf%83/

Google translation is not that bad to understand the problem... here the part concerning Paphos area

" Small Problems in Troodos - Paphos is in trouble
And in the area of ​​Vyzakia, coliforms have been identified, but also in the River of the Nicosia District. Also, once again Catslada faced a problem with water quality. In addition to coliforms, a few units (5 for accuracy) of Escherichia coli were also detected. Since May, the problem has been resolved in June. And in Tsakistras' campus they started drinking cocktails from last May (200 points) and good water quality returned in June.

The most important problems are found in the province of Paphos, while the same phenomenon has been presented in earlier analyzes of the Health Services. Particularly elevated were colobacteria in the Upper Pyrgos, in the barn of Alukas (along with enterococci), where it took a total of 5 months to solve the problem and it is naturally unknown if water is suitable right now. The question is whether the soldiers were aware of the quality of the water they were consuming. And in Anarita, colibacterial rates are high, but also in Agia Varvara, Natasa, Choletria, Prastio, Trachypila, Amargeti, Kannaviou, Kritou Marotout (coliforms, enterococci, Escherichia coli), Macounda.

We can not fail to mention that a few units of coliforms have been identified: Prodromos (45), Trooditissa (11), Platres (2), Agros (14), Nicosia: Strovolos, Aglonia - Agios Dometios - Engomi - Latsia - Geri - Tseri - Workers - Anthoupoli (35), Kionia (4), Agrokipia (8), Stavros tis Psokas (66), Moutoulas (29), Kalopanayiotis (70) and many other regions."
Anarita John

Re: Report of bad drinking water...(PaphosPress)

Post by Anarita John »

Thanks for that Max. I regularly read the Mail and have not seen any reference to drinking water quality.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Flossie wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:47 am But they are informed if they read the press!

:|
Have doubts that many on this forum read the "Press" unlike you perhaps... :roll:

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We Mainly drink bottled water except for tea and coffee, but of course that is boiled before we use it.
Trev..
daveg

Post by daveg »

Adonis bottled water comes from our village of Akoursos......
JimX

Post by JimX »

So Austin/Lloyd what is in plastic bottled water that you think is so pure?, if I were you I should look into the production and bottling of plastic water and to what many think is a real problem, I stay well away from it and never had any problems and I am not expecting any either. Buy a Brita water filter system if you are concerned, but for the life of me, I do not know why.

Last edited by JimX on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Our tenant in Tala reported unpleasant drinking water a couple of weeks ago - a dusty soil taste. Was affecting others as well so was reported the problem to Tala council office who were aware of the problem. Seems to have cleared now though.

Ian
JimX

Post by JimX »

I think we live with the same water supply in Tremithousa as Tala and we have noticed nothing at all regarding taste, we never buy plastic water we do not believe in it at all, this is very strange although the water in most Pafos reservoirs is low, maybe this is the reason?

No thank you Lloyd, as I never waste money on plastic water as you cannot say where it has been bottled or the source of that water, and also how long it has been in that plastic bottle, plus as you know the world problems with waste plastic water bottles. Don't waste the cash, Lloyd, you may save a Whale, no doubt this will fall on deaf ears as I do expect. Again in 20 odd years, I have never had any problems with local tap water, watch that video. PLEASE. :) this has nothing to do with each and their own.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02 ... s-stomach/
Jim.
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

I've always found that a pint of Guinness in a glass much more refreshing & environmentally friendly !!
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

One of our tenants also reported the problem in Tala around the beginning of September - a brackish, earthy taste. We discovered that many others had reported the same problem at the time but as Ian said, it has now been resolved and seems back to the usual.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
JimX

Post by JimX »

Keep on killing the environment Lloyd it is as you say your choice even if a bad one. As for dead thing laying at the bottom of the reservoir, as probably the case with that plastic nasty stuff. Do remember Lloyd we are all part of this plastic problem, make a change to your buying habits, get your own water filtration system if this worries you. I use a good old Brita works well, we have never had a drinking water problems or by the way needing my Cess pits clearing out,

Regarding toilet flushing why do you think all business toilets have bin for waste paper because they look good? I have that phone number come the day usually late at night for the Dunny truck, you know how to contact me, AM only, please :)
Jim.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I also use bottled water which seems very reliable as I have used it for years. I buy the big 19 litre carboys of the stuff. There is little or no plastic waste as these are exchanged for new full ones.i have also originally paid a deposit on the first couple of bottles. So I automatically return the empty ones to the shop when I need replacements.

Regarding the vexed question of smelly toilet bins. Like Lloyd we also flush the paper away. If the sewerage system is installed correctly in the first place with an adiquate sized waste pipe, and the whole pipe has a slight slope away down to the septic tank, no bin is required. Touch wood, in 17 years there hadn't been any blockages. The addition of an occasional tub of organic yogurt to sustain the digestive enzymes is a good idea . The system that was in stalled here by the local plumber under some supervision, is still doing its job!
If all sewerage systems were installed and maintained properly, then loo paper bins would be a rarity!
Dee

Dee
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... omers.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3809539.stm

To each their own but anyone remember these articles ? I also remember in the USA Perrier bottled water been withdrawn due to the presence of Benzene !
I am sure Jim B when he reads this thread will have some input on tap v bottled. Most bottled water is from municipal sources ie Tap however it goes through a filtration , UV treatment and has various minerals salts added some come in clear plastic bottles some with bottles that have a blueish tint making it more attractive to the consumer.
Only if it states on the label the actual source as a Spring can it be classified as such.
In the end it's personal and you pay your money and make your choice.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:21 pm
Allesley wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:12 pmNo thank you Lloyd, as I never waste money on plastic water as you cannot say where it has been bottled or the source of that water, and also how long it has been in that plastic bottle, plus as you know the world problems with waste plastic water bottles.

For the past 14 years Jim you've been telling me that If I continue to flush toilet paper down our loos, our effluent tank and pipes will block up. After 14 years they haven't :shock:

I could equally ask how long your water has been lying around in a reservoir, with dead animals and fish in it...and birds flying overhead pooping into it. However, my belief is that water from the Asprokremnos reservoir goes mainly to farming...and that most potable water in the Paphos region comes from boreholes. Equally, the bottled water we drink comes from boreholes in Cyprus.

The issue with whales and our polluted oceans is far more than me and my wife choosing to drink water from plastic bottles.

As I said before, each to their own. We won't be changing.
HIC does that mean the little drinking water tap that is in most Villas is not safe. Just asking as when on holiday I have always trusted this as fresh water and thought it was treated. If not then I will buy bottled in future.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

The third tap on its own in most households is the direct fresh water feed to the house perfectly safe to drink.
The other 2 taps are from the storage tank or solar panels so best not drink those direct but boiling them is fine.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

bmwx5 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:11 pm The third tap on its own in most households is the direct fresh water feed to the house perfectly safe to drink.
The other 2 taps are from the storage tank or solar panels so best not drink those direct but boiling them is fine.
Yeah that is the one I drink from and wash salad in when I'm over. Thanks for that bmwx5. Yeah storage tank pigeon shit all around it. Though I do brush my teeth with it :shock:
JimX

Post by JimX »

Good morning.

Of course, the small tap is drinking water it is straight off the mains or it should be, if you have no small tap then get a plumber.

That water is probably a lot safer with no plastic gasses from inside those plastic bottles, surely we have all seen news articles on what plastics are doing to wildlife to ignore this is truly stupid on our parts, and for those that follow us in our footsteps.

Lloyd do you believe everything written on those bottles? see that video.

again..

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11193/7 ... again.html

If you chose this kind of drinking water then read on please.

https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/is-bottled-water-safe/
Jim.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

We had a filter fitted under the sink when we lived in Peyia. They(Q Water) showed us readings of the "purity"? of the water . The tap water was very poor,surprisingly bottled water was not much better but with the filter system it was very good indeed. It was not cheap but worth every penny in my opinion and paid for itself eventually. If you move it can move with you.Thoroughly recommended.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Only use tap water for cooking, never drinking, when the wife makes me a cup of tea/coffee I can taste if its been made with tap water it has a chemical taste, only bottled water for us, over in the east we have water dispensing machines on every corner 1euro gives you 20 lts, you take your container and fill up, so no environment issues.....so please no lectures from people too tight to pay for bottled water...and then try to makes us feel guilty.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

Coca Cola have been caught out before regarding bottled water Dasani was one which was withdrawn from the UK weeks after it launch. See previous link to BBC in this thread.
However it had nothing to do with its packaging but rather the ingredients added to the tap water source which contained Bromates...
I am afraid plastic is a curse of modern life but it could and should be disposed of in a more responsible way.just walking round the golf course yesterday I picked up half a dozen empty bottles just thrown down in the rough.
What happened to the old fashioned card board egg boxes ? They all seem to be plastic here ....