English Back Bacon

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mockaji

English Back Bacon

Post by mockaji »

Hello.
We're do I find lovely English Back Bacon please In paphos area!!
ApusApus

Re: English Back Bacon

Post by ApusApus »

Kolios do packs of it!

Shane
Band

Post by Band »

Depending on the quantity you want, we always get ours frozen in Phillippos, but it is effectively four packs together. Great taste and great value! It's in the freezer opposite the sausages at the end of the butchery counter.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Long way from home Band for bacon, is it really that good??
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim Peck butchers in Chlorakas sell back bacon.
Band

Post by Band »

smudger wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:23 pm Long way from home Band for bacon, is it really that good??
For me, yes. It's only Coral Bay - not that far, plus I can also stock up on sweet chilli sausages!
wills1965

Post by wills1965 »

If you go on Junction pies facebook you will be able to order their own English home cured back bacon amongst other yummies such as black pudding scotch eggs.
The sausages are also to die for.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

I've searched Paphos high and low for decent bacon, including all the supermarkets, butchers etc. and the best I've found is at East London Sausage Co. Theirs is the only one that isn't salty or bland. I find Cypriot bacon tasteless.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

What defines "English" bacon? Is it the way that it is cured, is it the brine mix or is it the source of the pork?

Maybe it is just the placebo effect.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Cycleband Mesoyi Road, very good smoked or unsmoked.....
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

That slimey stuff is SALT.
Wet cured is when the pork meat is injected with a brine mix then left to soak in the brine for a certain amount of time.

Dry cured is when the pork is rubbed with a salt cure mix then left to cure. This takes longer but is the best.

The saltiness cannot be avoided. Bacon without salt is called PORK. 😕

Smoking occurs after the pork had been cured as does things like honey roast.

This process can take place in any country, it knows no boundaries. Spain produces some very nice bacon, as does France and Germany. Poland makes an extremely good bacon, very long cure time which produces a hard bacon that cooks up luverly.

It all depends on the quality of the pig and the care put into the curing process.

I have heard (but it is only a rumour) that SCOTLAND make bacon!!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Had some bacon many moons ago whilst on holiday...made from Pig cheeks, not bad.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Problem is with most English, Danish and Dutch bacon producers, is that they pump their £6-70/kg (or more) bacon full of water as a weight addition!

Suddenly, water becomes a very expensive commodity, as most of it is lost in the short grilling or frying process of the bacon. Hence why it ends up half the size...

I agree with above posters about the quality of ham, gammon and bacon in Polish delis. First class, no added water, no shrinkage during cooking, and fabulous flavour! Not to mention half the price of rip-off supermarkets...

AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

We find the best is dry cured, no water, cooks beautifully and tastes yummy. Don't know if it's available in Cy though.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Lidl also have very tasty bacon, it may be dry cured as no white slimy stuff oozes out when it is cooked! It is sold in what looks like pressure sealed packets and is chilled and not frozen. They have both back and streaky available.

Dee
Band

Post by Band »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:41 pm Lidl also have very tasty bacon, it may be dry cured as no white slimy stuff oozes out when it is cooked! It is sold in what looks like pressure sealed packets and is chilled and not frozen. They have both back and streaky available.

Dee
The stuff from Lidl isn't English back bacon though; it's the local smoked stuff. Bit too waxy for my liking, but that is just my personal choice.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Lidl's is too thinly sliced for my liking......
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

And plastic tasting as well!

Shane
WHL

Post by WHL »

Everyones blaming the bacon, maybe just maybe, its our taste buds deteriorating as we get older :lol:
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

It is just horses for courses.

It seems that "ENGLISH" back bacon is widely available here in Paphos from a number of outlets. Maybe they import it in bulk!!

Bacon from other countries is also available.

Most are salty, some taste of plastic and some taste of bacon.

Personally, I get mine from a butcher in England and the pigs that are used are locally reared in England and the business that cures and smokes the bacon is also based locally in England. It is very nice indeed.

However, it is just bacon. It could originate from anywhere in the world and it would still taste the same ...... bacony.