Can anyone recommend a car transporter please?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Cheshire Lad

Can anyone recommend a car transporter please?

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Good Afternoon,

My wife's car packed in today - I think that it's the engine management system, and I need to get it from Anarita to the auto electrician in Tremithousa,
Can anyone recommend a ' transporter service' as I won't get it there under its own steam

Tia, and apologies if this isn't in the right place

Regards
CL
trevnhil

Re: Can anyone recommend a car transporter please?

Post by trevnhil »

Does your insurance not cover free breakdown recovery. Most if not all of them do, so they should take it for you
Trev..
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

If your insurance doesn't cover it there is Rescueline 22446600 probably the biggest, think they do roadside as well in case your diagnosis is wrong.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Hello both.

Thank you for the very quick response.
Trev, my insurance does come with a rescue card. I'd thought that this was related to crash- damage only. I'm on the case checking it out.

As backup I have Aargents information.

Really appreciate the responses

Thanks
Ian
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I wish car insurers here in UK were as magnaminous as those in Cyprus regarding breakdown cover, Lloyd.

We have to pay optional extras for such extended cover, no matter which insurance company we are getting a quote from. Varies from £45 to over £100...

In fact, WHAT is a typical car insurance quote from Atlantic these days (say for a small 1.3L saloon car), including breakdown?

All the best- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Howden Tiger

Post by Howden Tiger »

Welcome back Al, good to hear from you!
smudger

Post by smudger »

Hear hear!!
WHL

Post by WHL »

PaphosAL wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:05 pm I wish car insurers here in UK were as magnaminous as those in Cyprus regarding breakdown cover, Lloyd.

We have to pay optional extras for such extended cover, no matter which insurance company we are getting a quote from. Varies from £45 to over £100...

In fact, WHAT is a typical car insurance quote from Atlantic these days (say for a small 1.3L saloon car), including breakdown?

All the best- AL :)
I think the wifes VW fully comp, with all the bells and whistles is about 350e
Mike.1940

Post by Mike.1940 »

We are based in Tala and come twice a year. We insure ours with Atlantic and it is any driver over 24 and under 70. They do full breakdown and recovery inclusive also including bringing petrol to us when we have run out in the past. As we only use the car from May until November each year we then leave our car at the airport and cancel down the insurance from fully comp. to third party only. This gives a big discount on our policy. We have to go to the office to do this and an email to put it back up to fully comp. this usually save us about €150.00 a year. This varies as the time not needed is taken into consideration. Bloody good policy and service.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Does it not cost lot to leave the car at the airport for a prolonged period ??
Trev..
Mike.1940

Post by Mike.1940 »

Leaving car at the airport is very reasonable. Safely kept in a compound and picked up and dropped off as many times as you like is inclusive to outside the terminal. Our family use the car as well so it could be in use at least 6 times a year with travel to and from Tala for added convenience, Better than leaving it on site in Tala. Cost for us is €300 about .82 cents per day.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Cyprus free breakdown recovery is an excellent example of common sense. Be warned though, that it won't be free if you get yourself stuck on a beach and have to be towed out. Beach recovery is exempt.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Dominic wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:48 pm Cyprus free breakdown recovery is an excellent example of common sense. Be warned though, that it won't be free if you get yourself stuck on a beach and have to be towed out. Beach recovery is exempt.
I can visualize the magnetic signs on the sides of your 4WD now, Dom- "Dominic's Beach Tow Service". Though you'd probably need a good winch, LOL! Out of interest, what would a breakdown call out company typically charge for rescue in this type of event?

Gonna be economical here, by trying two posts in one, LOL! I'm really glad to have read all this thread and to have seen how breakdown cover works for you in Cyprus. It got me wondering, as I don't have such cover here. And despite the fact that my annual mileage is very low at <2000 miles, you never know, do you?

So I looked at moneysupermarket.com yesterday for breakdown quotes, and one ticked all the boxes for me at £43 per annum. I almost clicked the BUY button... But something told me not to, as the annual insurance renewal from my local brokers is due any day (£208 last year, likely £300+ this year, RoB...). I had this idea to ask them for a bolt-on breakdown option quote with someone like Green Flag, and then make my mind up. Glad I slept on it...

It's that time of year again for my faithful Vauxhall Corsa, 13 years old and 44,820 miles. My local Vauhall dealer collected her at 08:30 (which was an 07:15 alarm wake up for me, LOL!). They then gave it a very thorough service, MOT, courtesy inspection, courtesy wash and valet, then delivery back to my house at 13:30. £196 all in...

During the morning, I discovered (hitherto unknown) that the mere fact you get your car serviced at a Vauxhall dealer qualifies you for 12 months FREE RAC Comprehesive Breakdown:
Roadside Assistance! Doesn't have to be a Vauxhall, from what I can make out...
  • Recovery
    At Home
    Replacement Car Hire
    Alternative Transport
    Hotel Acommodation
I'm all signed up now and WELL happy! Before anyone flames me for such a long post, I apologise for this. Just wanted to share this info with fellow members who flit to and fro between Cyprus and UK. This RAC cover is vehicle reg no based, so no matter what legal family member or friend is driving the car in UK, the UK car owner in Cyprus is still covered.

It's a no-brainer really, which is why I wanted to share here! AL :o
Gone but not forgotten...