Armed robbery at Paphos co-op

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Armed robbery at Paphos co-op

Post by Paphos Life »

A Greek co-op bank was robbed by two armed people wearing hoods on Friday morning in Paphos....

Read the article and chat about it below...
2QuarterPints

Re: Armed robbery at Paphos co-op

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Ever since we started coming to Cyprus on a regular basis, about 11 years ago, we have seen numerous mentions of how crime free and safe the island is. Sadly, it seems to be rapidly losing that accolade.
WHL

Post by WHL »

D&PG wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:52 pm Ever since we started coming to Cyprus on a regular basis, about 11 years ago, we have seen numerous mentions of how crime free and safe the island is. Sadly, it seems to be rapidly losing that accolade.
Yes crime has increased, and much of that is due to the influx of Eastern Europeans, (not all down to the Eastern Europeans) when Cyprus joined the EU, as work has dried up, some are turning to crime/begging, but it is still relatively low, I cant think of one place here where you would be frightened to walk late at night, how many other European Citys could claim that?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:49 pm
WHL wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:33 pm...and much of that is due to the influx of Eastern Europeans, (not all down to the Eastern Europeans) when Cyprus joined the EU,

A few years ago I was with a Cypriot husband and wife who were both serving police officers. I suggested much the same thing as you. They told me that I was completely wrong and that crime was spread across all nationalities, including Cypriots of course.

As the economy in Cyprus has improved over the past year or two we have seen a dramatic reduction in burglaries on our develoment. At one time break-ins were almost weekly occurrence, now we hardly ever hear of any. Touch wood!
Agree with you to some extend HIC, but a major cause of the crime rise was the big influx of people coming after the EU gates opened, my Cypriot neighbor who works in the civil service tells me a big part of the crime rise comes from Romanian nationals, and Greek Gypsy's etc( Pickpocket/Burglary is their specialty)
Cypriots are the biggest offenders, but if Cyprus wasn't in the EU then they wouldn't be here to commit crimes.
June

Post by June »

Well I still feel very safe out and about on my own in the evenings when I come over.
I eat in Mother's Restaurant a lot and am quite happy to take the short-cut down the back and round the side of the old Debenhams even tho I need to turn my phone on at times to see where I'm going. I think any crime rise is related to property rather than personal.