Drink Driving .

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusgrump

Re: Drink Driving .

Post by cyprusgrump »

PW in Polemi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:18 pm
cyprusgrump wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:26 pmAs an aside, my friend swears that the policeman didn't even point the camera at his car before stopping him - the camera had 63 on the screen and of course he had no choice but to pay up...
Uuum, not necessarily so. A friend of mine was stopped on the motorway on her way back from Nicosia. She readily admitted to us she was driving somewhat over the limit. However, when the policeman showed her the reading on his camera, she said "Oh I'd no idea my little car could go so fast! Are you sure you had the camera calibrated this morning?" And was sent on her way with no ticket, implying that the camera had NOT been calibrated ...
And no, she's not a Victoria's Secret model lookalike complete with fluttering eyelashes and considerable cleavage on show - quite the reverse! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll remember that one!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What gets me is that nobody seems to know what an indicator is. Police included!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Cyprus Highway Code

1. Driving is on the left with overtaking on the right. Despite this rule, drivers in Cyprus will often 'undertake' you on the left. This is fairly common as many Cypriots do not use the left hand lane as the regular lane and the right hand lane for overtaking only. If the vehicle in front of you is only just exceeding the speed limit you are entitled to undertake them or overtake them, even on a blind bend. Do not be concerned about traffic coming towards you; it is their responsibility to take evasive action.
2. Traffic emerging from side roads have full right of way over those on the main highway.
3. Likewise, traffic coming in the opposite direction and turning right in front of you has total priority.
4. If you are waiting to pull out of a turning, do not move until you can pull out right in front of someone (try to ensure that the road behind them is empty) ideally causing them to slam on their brakes. Other drivers are usually delighted at an unexpected opportunity to test their reaction times.
5. Unexpectedly and without warning, stopping in the middle of any road to have a chat with another driver coming in the opposite direction is completely normal so don’t be alarmed. You will find that sounding your horn, flashing your lights or shouting will have minimal effect on the time you are delayed.
6. Always cut corners. You’ll be amazed at how much fuel this saves over a year.
7. At junctions, “Stop” does not actually mean “Stop” – it’s just that “Give Way if you really, really have to” would not fit on the sign.
8. Traffic Lights are only advisory. A “Red Traffic Light” does not mean “Stop” - You should continually edge forward ready to roar away the moment the lights change. That half second you save may be invaluable when you are older.
9. Please be aware that the intermittent flashing light found on each corner of your vehicle is strictly for ornamental purposes only. On no account should they be used to try and indicate direction of travel or before performing a manoeuvre as this will only confuse other road users. Predicting what the driver in front is going to do is a pleasant pastime for other drivers.
10. Parking in town and city centres is not always easy but fortunately there are some “Free Parking Areas” – these are easily identified by the black and white “zebra” style markings with zigzag lines either side. Should these spaces be full (they usually are) then you must not park on the double yellow lines. Instead park on the pavement alongside. Do not worry about the pedestrians as they will have ample room to go around your car and into the road. If you do use a carpark, please ensure that you take up more than 1 space and feel free to use the space reserved for disabled drivers.

Special Note:- Please be aware that some wheelchair disabled people think that where the kerbs have been lowered, it is for their benefit. This of course is not true and they are lowered to allow easy access to park your car on the pavement
11. Currently, apart from a couple of ‘fast food’ outlets, there are no drive-thru shops in Cyprus. This means that you must walk (an ancient form of transport) from your car to whichever shop you want to go into. To save wear and tear on the legs ensure you abandon your vehicle as close to the door as possible.
12. If you are a moped driver you must protect your feet by wearing the correct protective flip flops. You must also ensure you cover your hair with lots of Extra Strong Gel. This will give your head great protection and alleviate the need to wear one of those nasty, unattractive “helmet” type hats. Unfortunately there is a side effect in that it assists in swift decapitation BUT on the plus side, it saves having to waste time and expense taking you to hospital after a crash.
13. Also a moped driver should remove any type of “silencer” from his bike. It is important that no one should be denied hearing the tuneful melody emitted by a souped up 50cc “Ducati 911”
14. If drinking and driving it is essential you don’t forget your car and you must be VERY careful not to spill your drink.
15. Using a mobile phone whilst driving is not only acceptable it’s obligatory, especially for text messages. If you are female between 16 and 40 it’s compulsory. You MUST be on your mobile within 50 metres of your starting position or within 2 minutes of entering the car.

16. It is not required to secure children in the rear of a vehicle; in fact it is encouraged to get them to use the rear seat as a substitute ‘bouncy castle’ to keep them entertained and not distracting you whilst you are on the phone.
17. At night, HIGH beams and additional fog lights MUST be used at all times especially when travelling in well-lit areas.
18. If you are not a Cypriot, expect to be stopped by the police for no reason. You could be asked if you have been drinking….this is classed as a Breathalyzer test since actually doing the test would mean the policeman having to do some actual work. There is no requirement to stop if a police car or motorcycle comes up behind you with blue flashing lights. This is actually illegal. They are actually breaking their own rules. They only do it because they haven’t bothered to read the regulations.
19. If you have an accident, call the police or your insurance company since if the other driver is Cypriot, they will be calling all available friends and family members so that they may "help" by milling around waving their arms and shouting.
20. The motorway hard shoulder is not to be used for broken down vehicles, but must only be used as a third lane when the traffic is especially heavy. If you have broken down and are using the hard shoulder, get as far away from your car as possible and pray.

The only exception to the above “rules” should, obviously, be taxi drivers. For as we all know they can do exactly as they like!
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

memory man wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:33 pm Cyprus Highway Code

1. Driving is on the left with overtaking on the right. Despite this rule, drivers in Cyprus will often 'undertake' you on the left. This is fairly common as many Cypriots do not use the left hand lane as the regular lane and the right hand lane for overtaking only. If the vehicle in front of you is only just exceeding the speed limit you are entitled to undertake them or overtake them, even on a blind bend. Do not be concerned about traffic coming towards you; it is their responsibility to take evasive action.
2. Traffic emerging from side roads have full right of way over those on the main highway.
3. Likewise, traffic coming in the opposite direction and turning right in front of you has total priority.
4. If you are waiting to pull out of a turning, do not move until you can pull out right in front of someone (try to ensure that the road behind them is empty) ideally causing them to slam on their brakes. Other drivers are usually delighted at an unexpected opportunity to test their reaction times.
5. Unexpectedly and without warning, stopping in the middle of any road to have a chat with another driver coming in the opposite direction is completely normal so don’t be alarmed. You will find that sounding your horn, flashing your lights or shouting will have minimal effect on the time you are delayed.
6. Always cut corners. You’ll be amazed at how much fuel this saves over a year.
7. At junctions, “Stop” does not actually mean “Stop” – it’s just that “Give Way if you really, really have to” would not fit on the sign.
8. Traffic Lights are only advisory. A “Red Traffic Light” does not mean “Stop” - You should continually edge forward ready to roar away the moment the lights change. That half second you save may be invaluable when you are older.
9. Please be aware that the intermittent flashing light found on each corner of your vehicle is strictly for ornamental purposes only. On no account should they be used to try and indicate direction of travel or before performing a manoeuvre as this will only confuse other road users. Predicting what the driver in front is going to do is a pleasant pastime for other drivers.
10. Parking in town and city centres is not always easy but fortunately there are some “Free Parking Areas” – these are easily identified by the black and white “zebra” style markings with zigzag lines either side. Should these spaces be full (they usually are) then you must not park on the double yellow lines. Instead park on the pavement alongside. Do not worry about the pedestrians as they will have ample room to go around your car and into the road. If you do use a carpark, please ensure that you take up more than 1 space and feel free to use the space reserved for disabled drivers.

Special Note:- Please be aware that some wheelchair disabled people think that where the kerbs have been lowered, it is for their benefit. This of course is not true and they are lowered to allow easy access to park your car on the pavement
11. Currently, apart from a couple of ‘fast food’ outlets, there are no drive-thru shops in Cyprus. This means that you must walk (an ancient form of transport) from your car to whichever shop you want to go into. To save wear and tear on the legs ensure you abandon your vehicle as close to the door as possible.
12. If you are a moped driver you must protect your feet by wearing the correct protective flip flops. You must also ensure you cover your hair with lots of Extra Strong Gel. This will give your head great protection and alleviate the need to wear one of those nasty, unattractive “helmet” type hats. Unfortunately there is a side effect in that it assists in swift decapitation BUT on the plus side, it saves having to waste time and expense taking you to hospital after a crash.
13. Also a moped driver should remove any type of “silencer” from his bike. It is important that no one should be denied hearing the tuneful melody emitted by a souped up 50cc “Ducati 911”
14. If drinking and driving it is essential you don’t forget your car and you must be VERY careful not to spill your drink.
15. Using a mobile phone whilst driving is not only acceptable it’s obligatory, especially for text messages. If you are female between 16 and 40 it’s compulsory. You MUST be on your mobile within 50 metres of your starting position or within 2 minutes of entering the car.

16. It is not required to secure children in the rear of a vehicle; in fact it is encouraged to get them to use the rear seat as a substitute ‘bouncy castle’ to keep them entertained and not distracting you whilst you are on the phone.
17. At night, HIGH beams and additional fog lights MUST be used at all times especially when travelling in well-lit areas.
18. If you are not a Cypriot, expect to be stopped by the police for no reason. You could be asked if you have been drinking….this is classed as a Breathalyzer test since actually doing the test would mean the policeman having to do some actual work. There is no requirement to stop if a police car or motorcycle comes up behind you with blue flashing lights. This is actually illegal. They are actually breaking their own rules. They only do it because they haven’t bothered to read the regulations.
19. If you have an accident, call the police or your insurance company since if the other driver is Cypriot, they will be calling all available friends and family members so that they may "help" by milling around waving their arms and shouting.
20. The motorway hard shoulder is not to be used for broken down vehicles, but must only be used as a third lane when the traffic is especially heavy. If you have broken down and are using the hard shoulder, get as far away from your car as possible and pray.

The only exception to the above “rules” should, obviously, be taxi drivers. For as we all know they can do exactly as they like!
Quality! :lol:
smudger

Post by smudger »

Absolutely priceless MM!!

I have always maintained that the problem is twofold, firstly the abominable driving instruction and testing. Secondly, the poor standard and frequency of policing.

Including - the non prosecution of friends, family, in laws, family of friends and in laws, cousins you've never even met, school friends you havent seen since you left reception class, school friends of your wife who you have never met, friends of the cousins you've never met, the guy behind your local bar, the waiters and kitchen staff of your favourite restaurant, the guy who owns the kiosk where you get your fags and coffee, the guy who services your car, the midwives who delivered your babies (or maybe the doctors who performed the c sections), the teachers - past and present - who taught you, your wife/husband, your brothers/sisters, the photographer at your wedding, the friend of your mother who made the cake, the whole shebang of musicians and djs who performed at your wedding, the priest who christened your children, all of your neighbours within a 100 kilometre circumference, every cop you've ever known, all the friends and family of every cop you've ever known, every councillor, union rep, MP, minister you've ever known or even know of..............................................................
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:24 pm What gets me is that nobody seems to know what an indicator is. Police included!
They know perfectly well what an indicator is. What you don't seem to understand is that where they are going is none of your business.

Pete
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

Spot on ! The worst driving I have seen is mostly expats.
I think it is common knowledge that when some people move to another country all rules you once abided by go out of the window.
Lynsab

Post by Lynsab »

Given the strict rules in the UK regarding how to drive, look after your car, and have some of the busiest roads in Europe the UK comes top for road safety in Europe and close to top globally. I'd rather feel safe, that most other drivers are indeed obeying the rules, and the Pillocks that think the rules aren't for them get banned. I'm in Cyprus now the driving is not the same......I forget you have to expect the unexpected ..

Btw when did it become an offence to take a rental car back not thoroughly washed and cleaned? €100 fine if dirty? Are you kidding me....
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Wensbry wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:44 pm It never ceases to amaze me how negative people are about Cyprus/Cypriots yet choose to live there.

In my experience the worst offenders when it comes to drink driving are Ex Pats and our fellow Brits lead the way !!
Bravo!
Louise :)
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Wensbry wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:44 pm It never ceases to amaze me how negative people are about Cyprus/Cypriots yet choose to live there.

In my experience the worst offenders when it comes to drink driving are Ex Pats and our fellow Brits lead the way !!
It never ceases to amaze me when people think others shouldn't be allowed to criticise Cyprus. It is only through critical analysis that things can improve.

I actually enjoy driving here - the lack of traffic is a breath of fresh air compared to driving in the UK.

However as was mentioned earlier, 'expect the unexpected' is the rule of the road and I don't think anybody that has used the roads can deny that even the basic driving rules are rarely enforced - for whatever reason.

Blaming one side or the other isn't constructive - rules are rules and should be applied to everybody on the road.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

cyprusgrump wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:23 am

It never ceases to amaze me when people think others shouldn't be allowed to criticise Cyprus. It is only through critical analysis that things can improve.

I actually enjoy driving here - the lack of traffic is a breath of fresh air compared to driving in the UK.

However as was mentioned earlier, 'expect the unexpected' is the rule of the road and I don't think anybody that has used the roads can deny that even the basic driving rules are rarely enforced - for whatever reason.

Blaming one side or the other isn't constructive - rules are rules and should be applied to everybody on the road.
Apart from you of course.
All things are possible
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Lincoln wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:36 am

Where have I said that...?
boycott

Post by boycott »

What a good tool to catch phone users!

https://www.swindon24.co.uk/news/unmark ... t-driving/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I have been appalled and embarrassed at some of the crap I have overheard in cafes and restaurants spoken by some grumpy ex-pats. We have had excellent dealings with native Cypriots.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
paphos

Post by paphos »

cyprusgrump wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:12 pm
Lincoln wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:41 pm
Ramone wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:05 pm I agree, everyday you see people attempting to drive around Paphos, I sometimes wonder if they have a driving license in the first place.
I also don't see the point of sitting on a dual carriageway with a speed limit of 50 KPH hoping to catch somebody doing 65 / 70 !!
50 K is the MAXIMUM speed allowed . Any speed over that is HIGHLY DANGEROUS. Speed KILLS.
That is clearly nonsense...

Poor driving kills, driving at an inappropriate speed for the conditions kills, having a poorly maintained vehicle may kill and being distracted at the wheel may kill. Speed per se does not kill...

It is clearly not 'highly dangerous' to drive at 60Kph on a dual carriageway with a central reservation and little other vehicular or pedestrian traffic...
Quite right. Its naive to just isolate speed as the one and only factor. If you take formula one racing then you have 22 of the fastest cars all competing over 21 races and yet its very rare for a death to occur. Change the rules and make it compulsory that they have to send a couple of texts during the race and make some of the entrants over 75 years old and see if the death toll increases? Apologies in advance to the over 75 yr old drivers who's reaction times and eyesight are still good and actually drive at more than 15kph.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

cyprusgrump wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:15 am

I was refering to your blatant remarks re Speeding. Speed Kills weather you like to admit it or not.
All things are possible
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Lincoln wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:09 pm
cyprusgrump wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:15 am

I was refering to your blatant remarks re Speeding. Speed Kills weather you like to admit it or not.
As pafos has pointed out - it isn't speed per se that kills but inappropriate speed (and may other factors).

And nowhere in my 'blatant remarks' did I suggest that speed limits (or any other rules of the road) did not apply to me or could be ignored by me...
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, and some motorways in the UK also have big overhead signs which tell you what speed to drive depending on the weather or congestion expected ahead. I have also noticed that most people will stick to these reduced speeds. So making it safer for everyone. Seems a good idea to me!

Such signs could be adapted for use on the motorway here. Plus some proper speed cameras...

Dee
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

According to reports the installation of speed cameras should be rolling out later this year.

I have mixed feelings about the above.

Cheers

Steve
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Steve - SJD wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:05 pm According to reports the installation of speed cameras should be rolling out later this year.

I have mixed feelings about the above.

Cheers

Steve
Indeed...

Speed cameras are a rather blunt instrument and obviously can't catch anything but speeding drivers...

Plus there is an obvious temptation to reduce the allowed margin to increase revenue from the cameras. In the end, drivers spend more time looking at their speedometer than at the road ahead....