rubbish

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
lotus

rubbish

Post by lotus »

we have lived here for 15 years now and driving about recently have never seen soooo much rubbish about esp on the sides of the roads,I know picking up litter here has never been that popular but it's terrible,what the hell tourist's think I don't know!!
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: rubbish

Post by Dominic »

Where is "here"?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I stayed regularly at a good friends 2 Bed Villa in Priamou St, Kato Paphos. That funny stretch of dual carriageway that only has one lane in each direction, with a wide dirt central reservation, with a row of pine trees, with crows perched on top going "caw caw" all day long.

Upon arrival, I would always grab a load of carrier bags from under the kitchen sink, then spend a couple of hours picking up litter that had been thrown out of the windows of passing cars on this busy route.

Drinks cans, bottles, cigarette packets, takeaway food containers, etc. You wouldn't believe it! I got some strange looks from passing motorists too, like "is he sane?". Dumped the whole lot into the large green Council rubbish bin outside this small complex, and it did look rather nice afterwards.

Until 24 hours later, that is... My contentiion is that the GC kids don't appear to be taught at school to take a rubbish bag with them on their trip. Then take their rubbish home with them and dispose of it in THEIR bin, rather than despoil their beautiful Cyprus towns, villages and countryside.

Crikey, if the kids were taught that, then they could even educate their parents! But no, the tragic truth is that many Cypriot drivers treat their driver door window as a litter bin...

Sad- AL :(
Gone but not forgotten...
lotus

Post by lotus »

sorry! meant to have said Cyprus,Choulou few miles from Polemi
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Is it any particular time of week, or constant? Just wondering if a new binman down your neck of the woods wasn't doing the job properly.

I can't comment on roadside litter, but the fly tipping has certainly decreased in the last few years. When we first started visiting Cyprus, about 10 years ago, just about every corner up in the mountains had had household rubbish dumped off the end off it.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Re littering problem. In Tala and Kamares it is some residents - mainly expats who get together once a month with large bin liners and physically patrol the main roads and pick up litter. It's amazing how much better both places look. I guess that even local Cypriots must have noticed as usually the area looks tidy. Maybe they are co operating more by not dropping litter, or is that wishful thinking!
Dee
daveg

Post by daveg »

It's also more than annoying that , settees, beds, mattresses etc are dumped next to green bins yet there are managed tips that take this stuff for free..
For example there is a great organised tip on the Akoursos road up from Coral Bay... NOW signposted..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That would be a very useful addition to the directory actually, a list of municipal dumps and their opening times.

So, tell us about your rubbish dumps, people!
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Can I be a bit cheeky Dominic and ask that, if you are able to, you link to a Google Maps snapshot, or similar, when you compile your directory of rubbish dumps showing just where they are. It would be very useful if you could.

TIA Dave
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Can I be a bit cheeky and ask that you actually look at the directory? Every entry in it has a google map associated with it, complete with suitable icon.

:roll:
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

I consider myself severely chastised. Joking apart, that's great.