Move over cheddar - Brits see Halloumi as new staple

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Move over cheddar - Brits see Halloumi as new staple

Post by Paphos Life »

Move over baked beans, corn flakes, butter and blocks of cheddar… today it’s Halloumi that’s becoming a UK staple, according to Waitrose.

The British supermarket giant lists Cyprus’ iconic squeaky cheese as one of the main foods consumed by Britain’s public, with the island’s dairy delicacy having just been included in Waitrose’s 2017 “essential” line-up....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Move over cheddar - Brits see Halloumi as new staple

Post by Dominic »

I don't think Waitrose is a typical British supermarket, but it's nice to know that halloumi's fame is spreading. Nothing beats the authentic stuff though.

Which raises a good question: where you do you find your best authentic halloumi? The stuff that walks to the frying pan itself.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:35 am I don't think Waitrose is a typical British supermarket, but it's nice to know that halloumi's fame is spreading. Nothing beats the authentic stuff though.

Which raises a good question: where you do you find your best authentic halloumi? The stuff that walks to the frying pan itself.
I like this one and have it always in my fridge. Available at Lidl's but also in many other supermarkets. It is important that the halloumi is made only from goats/sheep milk in order to prepare it properly in a very hot pan without any added fat. If there is too much cow milk in the product than it will stick to your pan and in the worse case melts like cheddar ...

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

We never buy the rubbery cows milk stuff poor excuse for Hallumi..we get it from a lady in Larnaca who has a small commercial kitchen and makes it herself, we also buy the hardstuff from her , its brilliant for frying with a couple of eggs....PS will never buy from that firm , years ago they were caught selling cheese unsuitable for Human consumption..to pizza shops.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:02 am We never buy the rubbery cows milk stuff poor excuse for Hallumi..we get it from a lady in Larnaca who has a small commercial kitchen and makes it herself, we also buy the hardstuff from her , its brilliant for frying with a couple of eggs....PS will never buy from that firm , years ago they were caught selling cheese unsuitable for Human consumption..to pizza shops.
You don't have to drive to Larnaca for high quality halloumi. There is a small producer at Simou village (near Evredou dam) from where I got the most tasty halloumi ever...but they sell only in larger containers and I am a single household, so bad lack for me. :)

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:21 am
WHL wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:02 am We never buy the rubbery cows milk stuff poor excuse for Hallumi..we get it from a lady in Larnaca who has a small commercial kitchen and makes it herself, we also buy the hardstuff from her , its brilliant for frying with a couple of eggs....PS will never buy from that firm , years ago they were caught selling cheese unsuitable for Human consumption..to pizza shops.
You don't have to drive to Larnaca for high quality halloumi. There is a small producer at Simou village (near Evredou dam) from where I got the most tasty halloumi ever...but they sell only in larger containers and I am a single household, so bad lack for me. :)

Max
Max no one said you have to drive to Larnaca :D ..Pafos is well known for its Halloumi, the problem with the Halloumi the tourist know and buy in the UK isnt the real thing but a poor substitute.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The small Halloumi producer at Simou was also mentioned in one of Dominic's blogs (Simou village) in the past...

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It was indeed. They weren't open at the time though, unfortunately.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Go and try Halloumi grilled with honey at Koutourou - divine.

The restaurant recently featured in the Telegraph as well apparently.

A.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Lofos-5 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:08 pm Go and try Halloumi grilled with honey at Koutourou - divine.

The restaurant recently featured in the Telegraph as well apparently.

A.
As the Koutourou was also featured in a German Magazine ( Der Feinschmecker, Sept.17) friends of mine visited the place yesterday and enjoyed the mezze there a lot. Only the Anassa Hotel was also mentioned in this magazine for the Paphos district.

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

Watching these cookery shows on TV ,it seems every other person is eating Halloumi.