It is Cherimoya time in Cyprus.... pics

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

It is Cherimoya time in Cyprus.... pics

Post by cyprusmax47 »

First time this year I found last week Cherimoya on the shelf of my Fruit Market. They grow in Cyprus and are ready to eat if the colour is olive green and the fruit is slightly soft. So I was waiting one week until today it was soft enough.

Mark Twain called the Cherimoya "the most delicious fruit known to men". The creamy texture of the flesh gives the fruit its secondary name, custard apple. For me it is very sweet (but I have a sweet tooth) and this one now tasted like a mix of vanilla, mango, pear, and ripe banana... delicous :)

Max
PaphosAL

Re: It is Cherimoya time in Cyprus.... pics

Post by PaphosAL »

At first glance, I thought they were figs. But Wikipedia put me right, LOL! They can grow quite large by all accounts..

What sort of size and weight are the Cherimoyas you bought, Max? How much € per kg? If such an exotic fruit were to be available here in my UK Tesco, they would no doubt carry a unit price (like their loose capsicums, oranges, etc etc- never understood how they get away with that, under EU regs...)

Careful with those black seeds!

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Thank you for the pictures Max, I shall be looking out for those next week when I come over.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I shall have to look out for some. Incidently, I am digging your natty yellow print tableware. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PaphosAL wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:20 pm At first glance, I thought they were figs. But Wikipedia put me right, LOL! They can grow quite large by all accounts..

What sort of size and weight are the Cherimoyas you bought, Max? How much € per kg? If such an exotic fruit were to be available here in my UK Tesco, they would no doubt carry a unit price (like their loose capsicums, oranges, etc etc- never understood how they get away with that, under EU regs...)

Careful with those black seeds!

I took the smallest one they had on offer just to try how ripe they are. This one in the soup bowl was ca 300 gr, the larger ones in the shop were ca 800 gr.
Kg.-price was 5.60 Euro. I kept the seeds to plant them when it is the best time.

Max
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Dominic wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:38 pm I shall have to look out for some. Incidently, I am digging your natty yellow print tableware. :)
I think Max needs to tell us what diameter his natty yellow print tableware is in his photos, in order to give us a perspective into the size of whatever it is on the plate / in the dish?

Another good trick is to include a matchbox or usb stick drive somehere in the shot! This gives viewers an instant visual idea of size.

cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:38 pm I shall have to look out for some. Incidently, I am digging your natty yellow print tableware. :)
I bought it years ago in Nicosia from WMF Elegance Center. Called: Creation Alpac France "Provencal" made by Grindley

Max
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Last week, Garden of Edem had Jackfruit on sale. Not only had I never seen the fruit before, I'd not heard of it, either. Must be one of the strangest looking - and largest - fruits around. Weird. Has anyone ever tried Jackfruit?
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Me myself personally, I just love oranges, grapefuits, mandarins, satsumas, clementines :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PaphosAL wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:53 pm
I think Max needs to tell us what diameter his natty yellow print tableware is in his photos, in order to give us a perspective into the size of whatever it is on the plate / in the dish?

Another good trick is to include a matchbox or usb stick drive somehere in the shot! This gives viewers an instant visual idea of size.

You overthink things. :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:35 pm We do like guava and it is one of the healthiest fruits on the planet, but can't seem to find them at the moment. http://food.ndtv.com/health/15-amazing- ... re-1244242

Personal favourites are passion fruit and pomegranites.
Keep eating them when they are sooo healthy .. :lol: , every year when is season for them end of September, hundreds of Cypriots have to visit the hospitals for Appendicitis symptoms. They are very cheap when in season hence people eat too many of them. I had myself 20 trees in the past and nobody had any interest in them when the newspapers came up with their negative articles... :(

Max
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:35 pm I just showed my wife this thread, with the suggestion that we try Cherimoya. But she reminded me - I had forgotten - that we tried this fruit last year and didn't care for it. We did experiment a bit at the time with various exotic fruits from the Garden of Eden, but none caught our fancy. We do like guava and it is one of the healthiest fruits on the planet, but can't seem to find them at the moment. http://food.ndtv.com/health/15-amazing- ... re-1244242

Personal favourites are passion fruit and pomegranites.
A little bit early for Guava I think ............ but one of our neighbours' grows these & usually gives us some which my OH likes very much! :D

Shane
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Dominic wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm You overthink things. :lol:
Funny you should say that, Dominic. Just received a PM from a member who joined same time as me and who currently has around 42 posts. That's an average of about one per week.

He's accusing me of 'incessant posting', which are frequently 'of little interest to other board members'. He goes on to say that replies to my posts are 'being made through gritted teeth'...

No problem with me. None of my posts have been offensive or spam. For the next few weeks, I'll drop into Read-Only mode on PL, in order to satisfy this nit picker (who I've thanked a few times for his posts in the past).

I will miss the daily input, but when you're not wanted somewhere, you sometimes have to take the hint... AL (deeply upset) :cry:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

PaphosAL wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:57 pm
Dominic wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm You overthink things. :lol:
Funny you should say that, Dominic. Just received a PM from a member who joined same time as me and who currently has around 42 posts. That's an average of about one per week.

He's accusing me of 'incessant posting', which are frequently 'of little interest to other board members'. He goes on to say that replies to my posts are 'being made through gritted teeth'...

No problem with me. None of my posts have been offensive or spam. For the next few weeks, I'll drop into Read-Only mode on PL, in order to satisfy this nit picker (who I've thanked a few times for his posts in the past).

I will miss the daily input, but when you're not wanted somewhere, you sometimes have to take the hint... AL (deeply upset) :cry:
Ha ha.... Paphos AL's 'Read Only Mode' didn't last long.. ;-)
Trev..
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

DavidatLWH wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:30 pm Last week, Garden of Edem had Jackfruit on sale. Not only had I never seen the fruit before, I'd not heard of it, either. Must be one of the strangest looking - and largest - fruits around. Weird. Has anyone ever tried Jackfruit?
Yes I had Jackfruit. It was in Thailand and I liked it very much. The fruit is huge. My Thai friend serves it in a special desert.
Louise :)