Cyprus Talks end in Geneva with no agreement, and now Erdogan has his say

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jimgward

Cyprus Talks end in Geneva with no agreement, and now Erdogan has his say

Post by Jimgward »

Erdogan has more or less stated that Turkey will always be involved in Cyprus and that land will not come to the GReek Cypriots without land going to the Turkish Cypriots.

Chances of a settlement now, with Erdogan in power, looks futile

From CyprusMail

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday the Greek side was once again avoiding a solution to the Cyprus problem, warning that a solution without Turkey should not be expected.

“We have told Cyprus and Greece clearly that they should not expect a solution without Turkey as guarantor. We are going to be there forever,” Erdogan told reporters in Istanbul after Friday prayers.

Speaking a day after U.N.-hosted talks broke up in Geneva, Erdogan said it was out of the question for Turkish troops to pull out of Cyprus unless both sides pulled out.

In reference to the maps both sides presented in Geneva, Erdogan said it was out of the question for Karpas to be handed over to the Greek Cypriots.

The Turkish president also commented on the return of the ghost town of Varosha.

“If you want Varosha to be opened up for use, Kokkina (Erenkoy) and Morphou (Guzelyurt) should be joined and be given to the TRNC. Open Varosha and closed Varosha would then be given to the Greek Cypriot administration,” he said.

He said the coastline dispute was over while the Annan Plan no longer had any validity.

On rotating presidency, Erdogan said there would not be a one term Turkish Cypriot presidency for a four term Greek Cypriot one. It was only fair for there to be a 1 to 2 ratio, he added.
geoffreys

Re: Cyprus Talks end in Geneva with no agreement, and now Erdogan has his say

Post by geoffreys »

Well that is it, all over bar the shouting.
The only questions now are:
1. Will the "north" be now annexed to Turkey? (Turkey would like that, the TCs probably would not).
2. Has "south" Cyprus a plan 'B'?

Geoff.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

It is not over. Technical discussions are taking place for the coming days and then the political discussion will restart.
Louise :)
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

The only people who hope the talks fail. are the cheapskate ex-pats who bought stolen property in the north..
keving

Post by keving »

Jersey wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:47 pm The only people who hope the talks fail. are the cheapskate ex-pats who bought stolen property in the north..
Anyone we know on this forum? :-)
smudger

Post by smudger »

Personally, I just find this pretty sad. Things seemed to be quite hopeful and this development just looks like cold water poured on what I thought were hopeful negotiations. Pray I'm wrong.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

smudger wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:20 am Personally, I just find this pretty sad. Things seemed to be quite hopeful and this development just looks like cold water poured on what I thought were hopeful negotiations. Pray I'm wrong.
You're not wrong because the two sides are still poles apart.
Now they will start the blame game - whose fault was it the talks effectively ran into the buffers etc etc.
Time to move on I would suggest.
Geoff.
Houdinibun

Post by Houdinibun »

smudger wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:20 am Personally, I just find this pretty sad. Things seemed to be quite hopeful and this development just looks like cold water poured on what I thought were hopeful negotiations. Pray I'm wrong.
Well said.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

You must remember that the inter communal violence which flared up between 1963 and 74 affected both sides, but affected the TC''s very badly indeed. They were marginalised and at risk of being exterminated under the EOKA B, Akritas Plan.It is hardly surprising that they are insisting on having adiquate protection in place to prevent this from happening again.
The most important point is that the two sides must respect each other and will have to learn to live together again in peace, but to do this they need to feel secure.
It will be a real shame if this attempt at an overall solution fails, but sadly though many people on both sides would love to have a solution, there are extremists on both sides, as well as those whose interests are better served by maintaining a partition.
It will be a sad day for the island if this peace plan fails as that useful resource natural gas, is unlikely to be exploited with out a proper solution, and the Cyprus economy will continue to stagnate, though income from tourism will be even more important.

Dee
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

As usual, very well said Dee. So let's hope indeed this peace plan doesn't fail.
Louise :)
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I don't think we should harp back to how things were in the 60s and use it as an excuse for continued Turkish troops on the island. Any solution should not involve Turkish troops. Cyprus (both sides) have come a long way since those days and it is a much modernised country and members of the European Union. They are capable of forging intercommunal relationships and have been trying to work this out with goodwill from both sides and from both presidents. Along comes Mr Erdogan and blows it out of the water - yet again - with his demands. It will never happen whilst he is in power in Turkey. He doesn't want a solution and will use all things unacceptable to the Greek Cypriot side to maintain the status quo or to use as an excuse for annexation. Imagine a minority group in the UK insisting that the prime minister must be a representative of their group every other term. There is a compromise from the Greek Cypriot side (although politicians worldwide are voted freely) and Anastassiades has offered a 1 in 4 rotating presidency but no., this is not acceptable by Turkey. They further want the guarantor powers to switch from Turkey, UK and Greece to the EU - who should have a more neutral stance. Greece, UK and EU are happy for this change but no, Erdogan will not have this. It is quite clear that Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots can have all the best intentions and goodwill in the world for a solution but it is not they who hold the power in this. It is Turkey and until Turkey changes its position, there is no point talking.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:46 pm I don't think we should harp back to how things were in the 60s and use it as an excuse for continued Turkish troops on the island. Any solution should not involve Turkish troops.
What about the Greek troops on the island then?

Lofos-Jan wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:46 pm Anastassiades has offered a 1 in 4 rotating presidency but no., this is not acceptable by Turkey.
If you were in the minority would you be happy with a presidency of 4 terms, maybe up to 20 years, before you got one?

I'm no lover of Erdogan but maybe he has a couple of valid points!

Shane
smudger

Post by smudger »

Wow indeed! The cynic in me though wonders what he may have up his sleeve.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Wow indeed! The cynic in me though wonders what he may have up his sleeve.
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

It's a start and certainly something needs to be forthcoming if a workable settlement is to be achieved, but the costs of a settlement are enormous if compensation is going to be paid out

http://cyprus-mail.com/2016/08/19/cost- ... nk-report/
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:14 pm
Lofos-Jan wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:46 pm I don't think we should harp back to how things were in the 60s and use it as an excuse for continued Turkish troops on the island. Any solution should not involve Turkish troops.
What about the Greek troops on the island then?

Lofos-Jan wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:46 pm Anastassiades has offered a 1 in 4 rotating presidency but no., this is not acceptable by Turkey.
If you were in the minority would you be happy with a presidency of 4 terms, maybe up to 20 years, before you got one?

I'm no lover of Erdogan but maybe he has a couple of valid points!

Shane
Any Greek troops (nowhere near as many as the Turkish troops) would withdraw.

Most minorities do not get 'given' a presidency. In most democracies it is by the ballot box and not guaranteed. You have to be a little bit fair here - the demographics at the invasion were 82% Greek Cypriot, 18% Turkish Cypriot. Yes I know this has changed but still should not necessarily warrant a guaranteed presidency. The 1 in 4 is fair in my opinion.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

keving wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:08 pm
Jersey wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:47 pm The only people who hope the talks fail. are the cheapskate ex-pats who bought stolen property in the north..
Anyone we know on this forum? :-)
They won't speak due to guilt ...if you buy some thing that was gained by gunpoint ..would you ??
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:48 am
Any Greek troops (nowhere near as many as the Turkish troops) would withdraw.

Most minorities do not get 'given' a presidency. In most democracies it is by the ballot box and not guaranteed. You have to be a little bit fair here - the demographics at the invasion were 82% Greek Cypriot, 18% Turkish Cypriot. Yes I know this has changed but still should not necessarily warrant a guaranteed presidency. The 1 in 4 is fair in my opinion.

Jeanne
[/quote]

So you would be quite happy to live your life for the next 20 years or so with no control over it whatsoever then! :o

Shane
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

The Church, EDEK, DIKO,ELAM, The Greens, (and the lady who threatens to set herself on fire) are all out to snooker any reasonable propositions as far as I can see. As pointed out above, there are vested interests here which do NOT want any boats rocked lest their artful Byzantine ways are threatened.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kingfisher, you forgot to mention the followers of Eoka B
which you can find even in the Police force....

Max