Tipping !

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PaphosAL

Re: Tipping !

Post by PaphosAL »

I used to give a tip to the guy who serviced the old Toyota 2WD twin cab. Or someone else who fitted two brand new tyres at a bargain price. Wouldn't dream of not doing so, tbh...

They always look after you afterwards, if any problems ensue concerning their work!

Cheers- AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...
Kia Picanto

Post by Kia Picanto »

memory man wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:20 pm ....but we don't tip other people

eg. The checkout operator or an assistant who has helped somewhat in a supermarket.
What about if you buy new tyres, do you tip the guy who put the tyres on your car.
Buying an electrical appliance from a large store, do we tip the salesperson after
spending about eu500+. What about a new car, does the salesman get a tip.

It seems to be mostly waiters/esses in restaurants, bars etc.
Sometimes at filling station.
Hairdressers also.................my wife always tips her hairdresser.

Is it just habit?
I think it's more to do with the service industry (generally) being paid lower wages than the retail sector. Also, many 'sales' occupations attract a basic salary, plus commission. I wouldn't dream of offering a tip to a car salesperson, but would always give a euro to the petrol attendant.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

I apologies for venturing onto another topic. Yes I tip my hairdresser but he is a crap barber but enjoy the stories he tells.There are so many reasons to give a tip to someone
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kia Picanto wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:29 pm
Just a thought, but I wonder whether it's more prevalent on the western side of the island. The places we mostly go to (eastern end of the island) are small, family owned places. The only place that shows a service charge is The Ocean Grill.
We prefer those sort of places too, but in the Paphos region, and the one's we've visited in Troodos, they''ve all had service included, if they have a menu at all. It's a bit moot though this discussion, for us at least, because the bill for three is normally about €36, so paying with €40 leaves a €4 tip from the change anyway.

The meal will usually consist of:

Greek salad
Souvla / Pork Chop / Souvlaki / Moussaka x 3
Chips x3
2 diet cokes
1 fanta
1 large bottle of mineral water

Depending on the day of the week and the restaurant, we will also get an assortment of side dishes to try, followed by complimentary fruit etc.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

If your happy with the service someone gives you then tip if not don't, I recently had a bit of plumbing work done I was so happy with the work and cost, that I gave him an extra hundred..his happy I'm happy ...happy days
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

I tip the same people as Lloyd plus, like WHL, to people who do various jobs around the house I cannot do myself or am not competent to know how to do them - horses for courses I say. I have found those to whom I show my appreciation are extremely grateful and take care of me each and every time I make repeat visits or seek assistance from.

Rita
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Crikey, there could be a new industry evolving in Paphos here. Old retired multi-skilled wrinklies going around and fixing people's house problems for free, just for payment of parts required (with receipt of course) and a generous tip to cover their time, mileage and knowledge?

But I'm sure this has already been going on for ages, LOL! Cheers- AL :)
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:45 am
Rita Sherry wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:13 amI have found those to whom I show my appreciation are extremely grateful and take care of me each and every time I make repeat visits or seek assistance from. Rita
That was my point too, Rita. Not that I tip with an end motive in mind...but rather because I wish to. The extra care I receive afterwards is a welcome bonus for me.
jagwheels wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:23 pmLloyd & AL, as intelligent people how can you believe there is a God or higher being?
Naturally I respect Dominic's wish for religion not to be discussed in the General Discussion Area - and I don't intend taking this discussion any further - but in simple response to your question, I might ask that if I am as you say an intelligent person, how can I not believe ;)
100% agree, Lloyd. Whether intelligent or not, people are free to believe in and cling onto hopes and aspirations that will improve their lives, via reading the Bible, and through prayers.

Sadly, I do none of the former, and little of the latter. But I wouldn't dream of decrying someone who does one or both. Faith means an awful lot to millions of folk in the world these days...

AL :cry:
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

PaphosAL wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:55 am Crikey, there could be a new industry evolving in Paphos here. Old retired multi-skilled wrinklies going around and fixing people's house problems for free, just for payment of parts required (with receipt of course) and a generous tip to cover their time, mileage and knowledge?

But I'm sure this has already been going on for ages, LOL! Cheers- AL :)
Al

I am not sure I understand your post. I for one did not say or imply that those people who have assisted me with jobs I am incapable of doing because I am not competent to do them myself i.e. electricians, plumbers, builders etc did it for free nor would I have expected them too. I pay/paid their bills but in addition have given a tip to show my appreciation.

Lloyd Neither do I tip with any end product in mind but, as you say, it is an added bonus to receive a pleasant smile and attention should I make a repeat visit say to a restaurant etc or require further assistance from skilled people. I tip because I wish to and to show my appreciation.

Rita
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

unless you give the tip separately are you sure the person who served you actually gets the tip
I've heard of many places that the owner keeps all the tips, just a thought
garry
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The service charges in Cyprus restaurants etc. are automatically included at 15% by law. EVERY restaurant etc. is obliged to charge it; it is a given.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I do know of at least one restaurant that keeps some but not all of the tips.. I don't know if this practice is widespread..
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The words 'VAT and service charge included' are usually at the bottom of the Menu..
Trev..
Royal

Post by Royal »

I fail to see the justification for a service charge added to the bill in ANY restaurant anywhere in the world. Surely when you buy a meal, the proprietors have taken ALL costs and overheads into account when setting menu prices?

To me, it's rather like going to Paps and being expected to pay for being served at the checkout as you pay for their wares.

Restaurants which add a service charge automatically are simply scamming their customers in my opinion. It's bad enough if they give you the option to delete it, but in some restaurants in the UK it's not even deductible. Such places will not get a return visit from me.

I always tip for good service, but do not expect to have to pay regardless.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Devil wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:32 am The service charges in Cyprus restaurants etc. are automatically included at 15% by law. EVERY restaurant etc. is obliged to charge it; it is a given.
Maybe the term 'service charge' is a misnomer? A few years ago, all restaurants added a seperate CTO Tax item to the bill. I can't remember what the % rate was, though.

The 15% included by Law could possibly be carved up between the VATman and the CTO?

Cheers- AL :roll:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It stuck me that someone on here mentioned tipping other people, why do we pick certain workers for special treatment, and yet ignore others ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Do you tip the checkout operator at your nearest big supermarket ?
Do you tip the person who waits on you at a meal out?
Trev..
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Do you tip the firefighters who extinguish your house fire or cut you out of smashed up car?
Do you tip the paramedic that saves your life?

If not then why tip someone who brings your meal to your table?

Stopped tipping years ago in Cyprus its up to the employer to pay a living wage and stop being so greedy.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

No, on the first one, Trev. But more often than not on a Saturday, our local Tesco store allows dozens of well-behaved teenagers in (ATC, Army, Scouts, Guides, etc) to help customers at the checkouts pack their purchases...

You can of course reward their help by throwing a few coins or a quid into their collection buckets. But it's not a tip, more of a charitable donation to a worthy community cause.

Many people these days also buy a large pack of Pasta, or Rice, or tinned produce etc, just to pop into the volunteer-run Food Aid container by the store exit, to help the poor families who cannot afford to heat nor eat. Heartbreaking...

Cheers- AL :cry:
Mark

Post by Mark »

I allways tip 10% minimum in restaurants, and 1 euro to petrol attendants.