Tipping !

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Tipping !

Post by memory man »

This sometimes confuses me.
How much and when to tip.

I normally always tip in a bar or restaurant, but never in a supermarket or shop
even when the sales person has spent a lot of time giving you service and help.

When filling up at the petrol station, if my windows get washed I give eu1.
trevnhil

Re: Tipping !

Post by trevnhil »

I would normally tip at a cafe or restaurant. I don't normally like my windows washing at Petrol stations, so I just pay for the fuel.
If I use a car wash I tip there, usually 2 euros..
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

As in many European countries, tipping is unnecessary and undesirable for normal service. Prices in restaurants, taxis (meters), hairdressers etc. already include a service charge. Tipping is demeaning; Japan has the right idea, where a tip is considered an insult.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I think that I would appreciate a tip if I was earning low pay.
David
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I always tip in restaurants for good service, and if windscreen is washed whilst filling car up or getting it washed. Wages here are pretty low so I am sure they appreciate it!
Last edited by Jimgym on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

OK, let me be clear. You go to a Cypriot restaurant and the bill comes to, say, €100. Assuming no alcohol, you actually pay the bistrot €92.60, the 8% difference going to the VAT man. You also pay €13.05 for service, so the restaurant receives €79.55 for the food, out of which all the overheads and profit (if any) are accountable. Those €13-odd are your tip, why pay more? I'm not talking about the loose coppers in change left on the plate. How the restaurant deals with the service charge is another story; theoretically, it should go into the waiter's pocket, intact, but, slightly more practically, it is pooled and divided between the staff or, most likely, it forms part of his wages.

What we don't want is the US system where waiters depend on their tips because they receive little or no wages (in some fancy expensive restaurants, they even have to pay from their tips to work there). Here they are protected by the service charge and not by the goodwill of the customer.
Last edited by Devil on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We never tip at garages, unless it is a car wash and we've gone a bit OTT on the offroading. Given that the wash only costs €5 and is superb, I don't begrudge bunging them an extra couple of euros.

In restaurants, we normally just round up to the next note. This is what I believe the Cypriots do themselves.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

As many members on PL are less than of a tender age one would hope lifes expereriences has taught them something
Nothing more to say on that but had a funny experiece a few years ago when we took the Cyprus to Egypt trip
Lunching at a hotel I needed the toilet. Having finished I stood waiting to wash my hands. A guy came over & says merci & gave me some coins

You can interpret this jesture what ever way you want :lol:
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

We always tip a couple of euros in the restaurants & bars we frequent, the staff wages are usually low & the hours long so we don't begrudge it. Don't tip hairdressers though but we do buy something for their children at christmas.

Shane
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I count myself very lucky in the hairdressing department. Wifey or Daughter always did (and do) my hair using a genuine USA made Wahl dog clipper, that I treated Wifey to years ago for clipping our Westie, Max (Maximus Barkus).

We attach the 3mm comb (1/8th of an inch) and that's it for another 2 months, including my Dennis Healey eyebrows, LOL! Baseball cap then fits nicely again. Neither of my darlings ever expected payment, nor a tip. A nice kiss and a thankyou was (and is) good enough. After all, it was them nagging me into a haircut in the first place!

In Cyprus, I always tipped roughly 10% in tavernas (and often, bars), and it always seemed to be well appreciated, sometimes with a complimentary brandy on the house thrown in. Only one occasion that I recall where I refused to tip, after treating three friends to an evening meal, but that's another story...

Always tipped CY£0-50 or €1 at the filling station, whether they did a screen clean or not. The look of thanks on their faces (no matter where) was worth it, and heartwarming. Then there would be visits to Snake George, and further along, Andreas at the Sunset Taverna above Agios Georgios (where he looks after all sorts of birds and indigenous wildlife). Always left them a good donation, on account of all the good nature conservation work they were doing...

Then there's Paphiakos (sp) donkey/horse/dogs sanctuary in Kato Paphos. Always had a regular stroll around this large area, armed with a bag of apples as treats. Run mainly by volunteer expats, God bless them! Usually managed to find one and hand over a tenner donation to help with funding, again with a nice smile and a genuine thanks...

Be generous with people that take good care of you, and all of God's creatures, and God will eventually reward you, in some shape or form...

Cheers- AL :idea:
Gone but not forgotten...
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Lloyd & AL, as intelligent people how can you believe there is a God or higher being?
Royal

Post by Royal »

jagwheels wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:23 pm Lloyd & AL, as intelligent people how can you believe there is a God or higher being?
Psalm 14:1
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

jagwheels wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:23 pm Lloyd & AL, as intelligent people how can you believe there is a God or higher being?
Lots of intelligent people believe in God / a Higher Being. If you want to start a Religious discussion, post it in the Beyond Paphos section. We used to have a Religion section but nobody posted in it so it was removed.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Let's not turn this interesting 'Tipping' thread off topic please, jagwheels, on account of a side comment from me, eh?

I'm not religous in any sense of the word. But I do like to think that some powerful heavenly spirit(s) happened to actually create Mother Earth as we know it today (and are still finding about).. I've never really done the Bible (though my dear Wife could quote it chapter and verse)

What moved me most, I think, was reading Erich von Danniken's book, 'Was God an Astronaut?"

Back to tipping, then... In Tesco here, there are often all sorts of good causes and charities in store, helping you pack at the checkout, or awaiting you in the exit foyer. Who can refuse these worthy causes of a quid or two?

Not to mention their charity food bin on the way out. Lot's of peeps buy staples like rice, pasta, tinned stuff, etc, espescially to drop into that box, ready for daily collection by volunteers. To help the poorer folk who cannot afford to heat, nor eat... Not exactly a tip to the store, but still doing a lot of good in the local community, methinks?

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Kia Picanto

Post by Kia Picanto »

As someone who worked in the service industry, before and after leaving school (as an apprentice then qualified hairdresser), I can't emphasise enough how welcome tipping is. I left home to share a flat with 2 other girls, when I was 17, and quite honestly, receiving a tip meant a huge difference - sometimes it enabled me to buy a tin of soup. Happy days! Yes, a decent wage would have been fantastic, but tipping often ensures better service. I certainly tried harder to keep my customers happy.

Even now, when I have my monthly colour, trim and blow-dry, I tip not only my stylist, but whoever shampoos my hair too. That's in the UK by the way, where thankfully, at least the 'living wage' is paid - depending on age of course. £5 for my stylist, £1 for the shampooist.

In Cyprus, unless the meal and/or service is not good, I tip at least 10% - can't understand why anyone quibbles over this. We only eat at one restaurant where there is a service charge included.

On cruise ships, where 'auto tips' are often used, we are happy to pay them, and will also give a little extra to those staff, who go 'over and above'. No problem at all. In the onboard spa/hair salon, where there is also 10% added to your bill for the spa staff, I ask for it to be deducted, then pay cash to the therapist/stylist. I do this, as I asked 2 of the girls what their preference was. They both said this was better for them, as they often had to wait a very long time for the 10% to reach them.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kia Picanto wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:11 pm As someone who worked in the service industry, before and after leaving school (as an apprentice then qualified hairdresser), I can't emphasise enough how welcome tipping is. I left home to share a flat with 2 other girls, when I was 17, and quite honestly, receiving a tip meant a huge difference - sometimes it enabled me to buy a tin of soup. Happy days! Yes, a decent wage would have been fantastic, but tipping often ensures better service. I certainly tried harder to keep my customers happy.

Even now, when I have my monthly colour, trim and blow-dry, I tip not only my stylist, but whoever shampoos my hair too. That's in the UK by the way, where thankfully, at least the 'living wage' is paid - depending on age of course. £5 for my stylist, £1 for the shampooist.

In Cyprus, unless the meal and/or service is not good, I tip at least 10% - can't understand why anyone quibbles over this. We only eat at one restaurant where there is a service charge included.

On cruise ships, where 'auto tips' are often used, we are happy to pay them, and will also give a little extra to those staff, who go 'over and above'. No problem at all. In the onboard spa/hair salon, where there is also 10% added to your bill for the spa staff, I ask for it to be deducted, then pay cash to the therapist/stylist. I do this, as I asked 2 of the girls what their preference was. They both said this was better for them, as they often had to wait a very long time for the 10% to reach them.
I've never seen a restaurant in Cyprus that doesn't include a service charge.
memory man

Post by memory man »

....but we don't tip other people

eg. The checkout operator or an assistant who has helped somewhat in a supermarket.
What about if you buy new tyres, do you tip the guy who put the tyres on your car.
Buying an electrical appliance from a large store, do we tip the salesperson after
spending about eu500+. What about a new car, does the salesman get a tip.

It seems to be mostly waiters/esses in restaurants, bars etc.
Sometimes at filling station.
Hairdressers also.................my wife always tips her hairdresser.

Is it just habit?
Royal

Post by Royal »

Dominic wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:18 pm
Which is quite strange, because I have never seen one that does include a service charge. I don't agree with service charges, so make a point of not tipping if they are ever included on my bill (talking UK here as I have already said that I've never seen it added on a bill here in Cyprus).
Royal

Post by Royal »

I usually tip at restaurants, but on a round up basis of a few euros rather than a strict 10%. Sometimes this will mean less than 10% and sometimes more. I always tip my barber €2 (never use hairdressers!) and the person who fills my car up at the petrol station €1.
Kia Picanto

Post by Kia Picanto »

Dominic wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:18 pm
Kia Picanto wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:11 pm As someone who worked in the service industry, before and after leaving school (as an apprentice then qualified hairdresser), I can't emphasise enough how welcome tipping is. I left home to share a flat with 2 other girls, when I was 17, and quite honestly, receiving a tip meant a huge difference - sometimes it enabled me to buy a tin of soup. Happy days! Yes, a decent wage would have been fantastic, but tipping often ensures better service. I certainly tried harder to keep my customers happy.

Just a thought, but I wonder whether it's more prevalent on the western side of the island. The places we mostly go to (eastern end of the island) are small, family owned places. The only place that shows a service charge is The Ocean Grill.