New Art in Town

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Re: New Art in Town

Post by Kili01 »

Am I the only one who doesn't like them? My previous posts have done a disappearing act!
I think that the money used could have produced something much more in keeping which would be welcoming visitors to Paphos 2017.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Your previous post is on the bottom of the last page. It hasn't disappeared.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:16 pm Am I the only one who doesn't like them? My previous posts have done a disappearing act!
I think that the money used could have produced something much more in keeping which would be welcoming visitors to Paphos 2017.

Dee
No, I'm with you... :)
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I'm with you too Dee. I do so want to like them but it's just not saying 'Paphos - welcome to our city' to me. I wish it was a combination of something traditional with something modern to represent the historic past meets new future. Instead it seems to be modern meets modern and I can't find 'Paphos' in there anywhere. Concept of being placed at the city boundary and entrance is nice though.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
smudger

Post by smudger »

I'm fairly ambivalent now about these art works, but I think visitors will struggle to see the relevance, particularly when passing them on a roundabout, however major! I pass the one near ISOP school 4 tines a day and am becoming pretty familiar with it and understand it's relevance, but will one if
visitors???
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

We saw some of them today and I thought they were great but grumpy Victor Meldrew/ Alf Garnet aka him indoors stated what a total waste of money! I rarely call him by his name now it is either Victor or when it comes to politics definitely Alf!!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

How many visitors to London understand the relevance of Cleopatra's Needle?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:30 pm How many visitors to London understand the relevance of Cleopatra's Needle?
Or Eros?

Have driven by a couple that are (to my eyes) complete and have decided that I like them, I'm not saying "I get what they mean" without it being explained to me and perhaps I'm driving too quickly to see the detail, but I like the overall effect and I think they will look quite interesting when lit at night. Personally, I think doing something like an Aphrodite statue, whilst it might instantly trigger a connection in the eyes of visitors, would be a bit of a cliche, so perhaps time for something new. Even Mrs W agreed as we drove through Paphos bleary eyed at 6:30 this morning not the way back from Larnaca airport

Anyway, they've certainly got us all talking and I guess that's what art is all about. All in the eye of the beholder.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We also have an Eros statue on the roundabout heading from our new home town to Fleetwood.... very strange indeedy!

But at least we know why we have a new one, it had a broken ankle a while ago due to the bad weather. Must have slipped on a pile of ice at the factory just up the road :lol: But absolutely no idea why it was there in the first instance!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lanc ... 058912.stm
"Have Camera, Will Travel"