What are my rights?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Poppy

What are my rights?

Post by Poppy »

I suspect I already know the answer to this but would appreciate others views-
I bought 2 pairs of jogging bottoms on line from Sports Direct for £13 per pair. They duly arrived some two days later with a great big Sales sticker on them showing sale price of £8.99 per pair so I checked the invoice and they have still charged me the original amount of £13.
I emailed them but they insist they are in the right to sell the goods at the price that was advertised when I ordered them and they are under no obligation to reduce the price to me and give me a refund. Now I know we are only talking about £8 here but this really annoys me and the stupid thing is I would have been none the wiser had the idiots just removed the sale price sticker before despatching them to me.
WHL

Re: What are my rights?

Post by WHL »

You were happy to buy at the original price, why are you moaning ?
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I honestly believe that they should honour the price ticket on the goods dispatched, if lower than what they were purchased for. Otherwise, they lose a repeat customer, do they not?

Another way out of this is to return the original items for a full refund, then buy them again at the reduced price.

Cheers- AL :)
Last edited by PaphosAL on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You got what you paid for.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I did get what I paid for and I was happy to pay the original price but I am still irritated and yes they have probably lost my repeat custom!
JuraHound

Post by JuraHound »

Tell them you are going to contact trading standards as they are breeching trading standard rules. I bet you they will be very quick to give you your refund you are entitled to. Let me know how you get on.
WHL

Post by WHL »

JuraHound wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:27 pm Tell them you are going to contact trading standards as they are breeching trading standard rules. I bet you they will be very quick to give you your refund you are entitled to. Let me know how you get on.
How are they breaching trading standard rules :roll: the company honoured the contract they agreed with the customer...... the company hasn't done any thing wrong.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

JuraHound wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:27 pm Tell them you are going to contact trading standards as they are breeching trading standard rules. I bet you they will be very quick to give you your refund you are entitled to. Let me know how you get on.
What rule are they breaching?
smudger

Post by smudger »

Sorry Poppy, they are breaching no rules. As in a shop, the advertised price is classed in law as 'an invitation to treat'. The contract occurs when the money is exchanged, once you have accepted and paid the asking price the contract is completed and you are deemed to have accepted the offer. Irksome, but nothing to be done I'm afraid.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Thanks all , especially smudger. As I said in my first post I suspected I had no chance but thanks for confirming.
smudger

Post by smudger »

This makes no difference to the terms and conditions under which Poppy bought the goods. Yes, she can return them, but she is not entitled to a refund simply because the goods were on sale at a lower price. She would only get a refund of the price she paid, as she has acknowledged. Just as she would under Commercial Law.

The Consumer Rights Regulations don't automatically override Commercial Law.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Honestly cannot believe that you are all falling over backwards and dying on this one!!!

I bought a smashing 6 piece patio dining set from Dunelms locally for £100. Next day, I was dismayed to see that it was now in their Sale for just £80.. Popped back in there with my card and receipt, and guess what?

The lovely lass on the CS desk treated it through her POS terminal, just like I had brought a faulty one back, and replaced it with a new one. But I hadn't! But a £20 credit went straight through to my Natwest a/c. Dunelm are highly recommended if you are over in UK...

Similar might apply to Poppy if she is here in UK at present?

Cheers- AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...
smudger

Post by smudger »

Al, Dunelm may have given you the refund, but they were under no obligation in law to do so. This is the critical point.

Poppy queried it with SD but they stuck to their guns. There is no alternative in law, they were within their rights.
Royal

Post by Royal »

smudger wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:17 am This makes no difference to the terms and conditions under which Poppy bought the goods. Yes, she can return them, but she is not entitled to a refund simply because the goods were on sale at a lower price. She would only get a refund of the price she paid, as she has acknowledged. Just as she would under Commercial Law.

The Consumer Rights Regulations don't automatically override Commercial Law.
Quite correct, smudger.

Online retailers are required by law to display their terms and conditions prominently on the website. Sports Direct have done this and the relevant extract for Poppy is highlighted below:
Prices and offers may vary and may only be available for limited periods. All prices and offers are subject to availability and may be withdrawn or amended at our discretion. The prices on the Website may differ to prices in our retail stores, catalogues or elsewhere.

The Website contains a large number of goods and it is possible that, despite our best efforts, some of the goods listed on the Website may be incorrectly priced. If we discover an error in the price of the goods you have ordered we will inform you as soon as possible. We will give you the option of reconfirming your order at the correct price or cancelling it.

Sports Direct is under no obligation to sell incorrectly priced goods to you at the incorrect price.
http://www.sportsdirect.com/customerser ... conditions
Steve Matthews

Post by Steve Matthews »

£13 a pair sounds a bargain!
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

£8.99 is even more of a bargain!! :D
Royal

Post by Royal »

:D
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

How much would it cost to return the items by post anyway?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cant belive, your making such a song and dance for 8 quid....put it down to experience or get therapy geez :lol:
Royal

Post by Royal »

Very helpful WHL. :roll: