Take your pet on Cobalt Airways

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Expresspete

Re: Take your pet on Cobalt Airways

Post by Expresspete »

WHL wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:19 pm
Expresspete wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:16 pm We flew Aegean from Heathrow to Larnaca in April. The woman in front of us had two small dogs with her in the cabin, she had also paid for the seat next to her to accommodate the dogs.
were the dogs in a pet carrier or were they on the seat?
When the woman boarded they were both in carriers but once we were airborne one of the dogs occupied the seat next to her (for which she had paid)
Living the Sunshine dream 8-)
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

As regards pets going in the cargo hold, I believe there is a special compartment for this in all modern planes. Maintained at the same pressure and temperature as the passenger cabin above.

Makes sense, when you think about it. Otherwise the poor pets in the hold would quickly die of hypothermia (-56C) or lack of oxygen (5,000ft higher than Mount Everest), surely?

Cheers- AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
smudger

Post by smudger »

I'm with you JK!
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Sod flying with screaming kids, drunkards, obese people in the adjacent seat flopping all over me, pets pooing in the cabin...

When my Premium Bonds or Football Pools drop in (forelorn hope), I'll rent one of these for a play:

http://www.internationalbusinessguide.o ... the-world/

Though NOT the one that doesn't have a loo, LOL!

Cheers- AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...
AndrewA

Post by AndrewA »

The hold of most modern airliners is inside the pressure hull and is therefor maintained at the same pressure as the cabin. In the A320 aircraft Cobalt use the cabin air conditioning exhausts through the hold and temperatures can fall as low as 4-7C. However they are all fitted with a heating system which can be turned on to maintain a temperature of 18C and thus allow carriage of animals and temperature sensitive cargo.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I really cannot see a problem! If the carrier and dog can weigh no more than 8kgs then it would be only a very small dog indeed. As someone already said pets rarely foul the carrier they are in - they are just as fussy as we are and most people, in fact the airline might insist, would put an absorbent liner in the bottom of the carrier. They would certainly not smell as bad as all the human farts you smell on board!!
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

when we used to take our daughter's cat to the vet it used to poo, wee and just for good measure puke all the way there, even in January we travelled with all the windows wide open! Imagine that on a plane. Eventually we had to sedate her (the cat that is, not the daughter)
smudger

Post by smudger »

Been there, done it, got the t shirt Lazydaze52!!! Which is why I never want to travel on a plane with an animal in the cabin!!

Guide dogs excepted.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

There is nothing more pungent than a baby or toddler's filled nappy it permeates and it's beyond awful when you are sat in close
proximity on a plane and then you hit turbulence nightmare 😩
WHL

Post by WHL »

Yioula wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:13 am There is nothing more pungent than a baby or toddler's filled nappy it permeates and it's beyond awful when you are sat in close
proximity on a plane and then you hit turbulence nightmare 😩
With a baby you can go to the loo and change the nappy, trying to compare this with a dog taking a dump is ridiculous :roll:
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

I'm afraid the bottom line is -

Exception: United Kingdom regulations forbid the carriage of animals whether inbound or outbound and must be carried as cargo.

Taken from Cobalt website booking site.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Cactuslil wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:00 pm I'm afraid the bottom line is -

Exception: United Kingdom regulations forbid the carriage of animals whether inbound or outbound and must be carried as cargo.

Taken from Cobalt website booking site.
The point for UK Expats in Cyprus is that you can carry pets as cargo on Cobalt which, as Hudswell says, may cause the other airlines to adjust their prices down or even start the same service if they don't already have it. You can't, for example take pets as cargo on EasyJet, Jet2 or Ryanair.

When we came to Cyprus we paid Monarch Airlines around €100 each for our one way extra legroom seats and combined 50kg baggage allowance, but in excess of €800 just for our dog (6kg) to travel in the hold as cargo.

This is a positive step forward.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

On an another thread I was mentioning the 4000 cows that are being flown into Qatar from Germany, Australia, Hungary and other places - 400 have arrived so far.

cows1.jpg
cows1.jpg (47.72 KiB) Viewed 4476 times
cows2.jpg
cows2.jpg (164.93 KiB) Viewed 4476 times

Now that must be worse than babies and dogs combined :lol:

See also here - short video: http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/12/news/qa ... index.html

A.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Nah - nothing better than the good old smell of cow muck - takes me back to my youth growing up on a Dairy farm. In fact I have always been very small and even at 5 years old was small for my age and one day we had relatives visit and one of them said that I needed to be stood in the muck heap to make me grow - my brother who was a little older than me took them at their word and made me stand in the muck heap until I was "rescued"!! Unfortunately it did not work and now at 67 I am just 4'10" tall.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Getting back on topic, I have a friend in England who is about to adopt a pup from Paphiakos in Paphos. She is trying to arrange a flight back to UK for it. I wondered if anyone has yet contacted Cobalt about a flight for a dog? If anyone has, I would be very interested to hear about it. Please let me know.

Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Poppy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:04 pm Nah - nothing better than the good old smell of cow muck - takes me back to my youth growing up on a Dairy farm. In fact I have always been very small and even at 5 years old was small for my age and one day we had relatives visit and one of them said that I needed to be stood in the muck heap to make me grow - my brother who was a little older than me took them at their word and made me stand in the muck heap until I was "rescued"!! Unfortunately it did not work and now at 67 I am just 4'10" tall.
LOL, now I will never be able to read your forum name again without thinking of Poopy instead of Poppy :|
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Wonder if anyone has yet booked or even used Cobalt to take a dog to the UK? A friend of mine has just adopted a puppy in Cyprus while she was on holiday there. She is now planning to fly the dog back to the UK once it is old enough to be able to complete all its vaccinations/ immunisations.
We would be interested to have any info on this.

Thanks.

Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Wonder if anyone has or knows someone who has used Cobalts' new pet carrying service as a friend of mine wants to fly a puppy which she has just adopted in Cyprus, back to the UK?

Any info/ advice with this would be great!
Thanks.
Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Kili01 - from Cobalt's website: Effective 01st March 2017, Cobalt will accept carriage of live animals on permitted routes. Only domestic dogs, cats, birds, are accepted for travel in the passenger cabin of our aircraft. Animals which do not meet the requirements for transportation in the aircraft cabin may be accepted for carriage in the holds provided a suitable compartment is available for transportation of live animals (heating, air ventilation).

More information explaining about cabin and hold travel further in the article.

http://cobalt.aero/content/carriage-animals