Water saving measures (Communal council)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Water saving measures (Communal council)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

With the last increase of the water bill there was also attached a letter with Water saving measures of the village council. I wonder how they expect to maintain a garden and pool in Summer with this regulations... :roll: Did anybody received a similar letter :?:

Max
die6

Re: Water saving measures (Communal council)

Post by die6 »

That's Cyprus, no one cares.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

Was there a Greek language version delivered as well?
die6

Post by die6 »

For what?? LOL
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Keep a watching brief on your village Muktar's house in the next couple of months, Max!

ie: the condition of his pool (if he has one), his lawns, flowerbeds, driveway, pavement, etc.

As this rings bells from CL a few years back, regarding serious water shortages in Pegeia... Which apparently affected everyone living there, except the Muktar! :roll:

Cheers- AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PaphosAL wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:32 pm Keep a watching brief on your village Muktar's house in the next couple of months, Max!

ie: the condition of his pool (if he has one), his lawns, flowerbeds, driveway, pavement, etc.

As this rings bells from CL a few years back, regarding serious water shortages in Pegeia... Which apparently affected everyone living there, except the Muktar! :roll:

Cheers- AL ;)
Alan
The letter concerning the water saving measures is not from my Communal council but from my friends. Anyhow I know the Mukhtar from this village and he has no pool or large garden. What I like to know from members is, if anybody else got a similar letter. If not I will contact direct Paphos Municipality in order that they are informed what is going on in this village. I don't think that they will support this stupid regulations. How one can replace the evaporation losses of a pool in Summer, which is ca 1-2 tons per week. Nobody will deliver this little amount and bottled water is a bit over the top. :lol: :lol: :roll:

Max
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Okay, and thanks Max. But was this letter to your friends in YOUR village, or elsewhere?

Apologies for spelling Mukhtar incorrectly. I've disciplined myself with a 100 lines tonight!

Cheers- AL :)
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

We were faced with similar regulations a few years ago when the dams were dangerously low. We asked our visitors take buckets into the bathroom to fill before hot water ran out of the shower, we always empty washing up water into bins for the garden etc etc but would then drive through the village to see several Cypriot ladies hosing not just their patios but also the road! We have Cypriot neighbors who never use a broom to sweep but continue to hose their drive etc out onto the road.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PaphosAL wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 pm Okay, and thanks Max. But was this letter to your friends in YOUR village, or elsewhere?

Apologies for spelling Mukhtar incorrectly. I've disciplined myself with a 100 lines tonight!

No, I am 10 km away from my friends place and belong to a different Communal Council....and I would not criticize any wrong spelling :!:

Max
Mark

Post by Mark »

Haven't had a letter. And top up my pool with domestic water.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:03 pm
PaphosAL wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 pm Okay, and thanks Max. But was this letter to your friends in YOUR village, or elsewhere?

No, I am 10 km away from my friends place and belong to a different Communal Council....and I would not criticize any wrong spelling :!:

Max
So what village is receiving such letters please, Max? And can your friends there keep a watchful eye on their Mukhtar's property, to ensure that he is obeying his own edicts?

Cheers- AL :idea:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Some of you sound a bit "gung ho" where water usage is concerned.but the hard facts are that according to the Govt water development dept -reservoir water storage figures, the Asprokremnos Dam (serves Paphos area) is presently only 31% full , while the Everitou Dam which serves the wider Polis Area is 40%.Substantial rainfall is not guaranteed every winter and Cyprus is sometimes plagued by droughts which can last for several years.

So this is worth bearing in mind.

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:39 am Some of you sound a bit "gung ho" where water usage is concerned.but the hard facts are that according to the Govt water development dept -reservoir water storage figures, the Asprokremnos Dam (serves Paphos area) is presently only 31% full , while the Everitou Dam which serves the wider Polis Area is 40%.Substantial rainfall is not guaranteed every winter and Cyprus is sometimes plagued by droughts which can last for several years.

So this is worth bearing in mind.

Dee
The figures you are referring are from 24.7. and much worse now as in this heat water consumption for drinking and farming is huge. I wonder when the next update comes from the Water Department, perhaps they are in holidays or afraid to publish the reality .. :shock:
Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

How frequently are figures usually published then?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:02 pm How frequently are figures usually published then?
Every 2-3 days, weekends a bit longer... I have the link bookmarked and control it twice a week at least.
Max
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Generally daily in the rainy season but much less frequently from March/April.

Evretou Reservoir is significantly down, lower than we have seen it since 2008. We can now drive across the reservoir bed on the old road and cross with dry tyres, no mud, no little trickle of water, very worrying.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I had a chuckle re. the 'construction work', try telling that to any of the dozens or so builders in Cyprus !

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Dominic wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:02 pm How frequently are figures usually published then?
They are usually updated Monday to Friday between 1130 and 1330hrs, except on Public Holidays.
kansas

Post by kansas »

So why was the Kouklia desalination plant decommissioned without ever having been used? I heard somewhere it was because the contract had expired.

I also seem to remember a government representative saying we would never have to face water cuts again, presumably as a result of installing desalination plants.