Cyta

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PaphosAL

Re: Cyta

Post by PaphosAL »

There is one vital area of telecoms in UK that appears NOT to be competitive at all, but operates more like a CARTEL! Landline Rental!

BT seems to be the primary instigator, hiking landline rental way above inflation, on a 9 month cycle. The rest, like Sky, Virgin, ét al all duly follow suit with similar price hikes at the same time, like a bunch of sheep!

Now, is that competition? NO! Is an illegal cartel in operation that needs investigating by Ofcom? YES!

On Virgin, with a Phone, TV, and Broadband bundle, can you dump the phone and keep your free basic TV and broadband- and save yourself money each month? NO! It would actually cost a fair bit more, FCS!

Grrrrr- AL :x
Gone but not forgotten...
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

Dominic I cannot comment on the support as in all the time I have been with EE I have had no reason to ask for any.

I do agree about Cyta customer service though. They are always polite and helpful. We have had a phone line with them for about 28 years and I wouldn't change.

In 1988 you had to go on a waiting list in a big book. We waited 6 months I think and when we got our phone our neighbours caught us doing a little dance around in the living room! Rental cost was 1.50 or 1.25 Cyprus pounds. Then Cyprus joined the EU and the price went up to around what we were paying in the UK. A lot considering the lower wages. But I won't get into that discussion!!
smudger

Post by smudger »

Been with Cyta for the 11 years I've been here. Only had one major problem which turned out to be damp/water in the electricity line into my house from the box outside. No prob with that, got an electrician in and sorted within 30 mins. Prob was, about 4 or 5 sets of Cyta engineers( they always move in pairs) had been up to check it, all giving me different scenarios until the last couple, one of whom sussed it in seconds.

Agree with the comments re the helpfulness of the staff, but wish they were occasionally a tad more honest! Went to bed last night, TV, internet, phone all fine. Got up this morning, no internet, no tv. Only power light was on on the modem. Rang them, they said would I mind waiting whilst they checked it out, no prob says I, the helpful lady came back a few minutes later - amazingly within nano seconds of all the lights coming back on the modem - to tell me that it seemed to be working fine!! Thank you says I, all the lights have now amazingly come on on my modem!! Clearly somebody missed switching summat back on when they did maintenance during the night!!

Still happy with Cyta, less than a 10 minute call and all back on, One happy bunny!
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

All routers / modems seem to have a mind of their own... They all seem to benefit from a regular hard power cycle!

Switch computer off
Switch router off
Go make a cup of tea or coffee
Switch router ON at the mains after 2 mins
Enjoy your beverage for another 2 mins
Switch PC on and keep fingers crossed...

Cheers- AL :)
smudger

Post by smudger »

Yeh, did all, that Al, no avail. Clearly a Cyta problem!!
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

So how come you're online to reply, Jacs? :?
smudger

Post by smudger »

Al I already related problem was solved with Cyta. You related how to solve it, I had already done that before I called Cyta, who amazingly on checking, found it was working fine!. Of course it was, after they tweaked the pribkem which some clutz forgot to switch on/over/off.... who the heck knows, it was clearly their problem.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Just noticed that I can have 50mb download and 4mb upload for approximately the same price I currently pay.
I use wireless broadband mainly to stream live TV.

Is it worth doing?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Mark wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:28 am Just noticed that I can have 50mb download and 4mb upload for approximately the same price I currently pay for 16mb

Is it worth doing?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Mark wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:28 am Just noticed that I can have 50mb download and 4mb upload for approximately the same price I currently pay.

Is it worth doing?
Seeing that streaming is usually OK on around 4mbps I don't see the point..
Trev..
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Trev,

I currently pay 45 euros, 43 euros for 50 mb
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Which package and indeed supplier you have will depend upon now many devices you might want or need to simultaneously connect to the Internet, how big your property is and how much coverage over the outside areas you will want.
I have a WISP supplier with 50Mbps down and 4Mbps up service which is brilliant.
We all have different needs.
Mark

Post by Mark »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:32 am [quote=Mark post_id=29191 time=1502008100 user_

Seeing that streaming is usually OK on around 4mbps I don't see the point..
Surely 4mb is to slow now for streaming?
holitec

Post by holitec »

some tv suppliers say 2MB, but I would suggest a minimum of 6MB, but of you want to stream some sports channels they do need more - so say min 10Mb.

If you have devices that sync with the cloud they do take quite a lot of bandwidth whilst syncing. Also, many of today's games do use quite a bit.

However, if you switch your devices off, 4MB will be fine, except for HD which will need about 8-12Mb.

looking at my tv box streams, an sd channel seems to average 1.5Mbps with peaks of 4MB.

Regards

Digby
Royal

Post by Royal »

Ever since the Cyta free upgrade (which didn't include me as I was on 10Mbps and remained on 10Mbps after 1 Sep) I am constantly getting buffering which I didn't experience before. The same thing happened when we were upgraded from 6Mbps to 10Mbps about 18 months ago.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Working fine
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

no problems here in Peyia.
Louise :)
holitec

Post by holitec »

Royal,

Call 80000197 while the tv is streaming, we have had some TV customers with this issue, they made a change to the modem and sorted it. If your TV is via holitec/uktv media we are licensed so they can help. If you are one of our customers and are still receiving problems email uktv.media with your account number and I can chase tech support for you.

Digby
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

David, we are like you on 10 mgb and have had no problems at all. In fact it often shows as going to 11.2 so a small improvement No buffering at all. Hope you get it fixed.
All things are possible
Royal

Post by Royal »

Thanks everyone.

Will phone Cyta tomorrow.