Tenders for traffic cameras to be announced

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Tenders for traffic cameras to be announced

Post by Paphos Life »

Problems surrounding the invitation to submit tenders for traffic cameras have been overcome and the procedure is now expected to take place in October....

Read the article and chat about it below...
ApusApus

Re: Tenders for traffic cameras to be announced

Post by ApusApus »

'tis Cyprus after all HiC! Last year I had a contract in the bag so to speak until one of the losing parties called the tender process unfair & guess what happened next ................. ?

Shane
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

I hope to god this doesn't happen. What next, CCTV on every corner?? And before everyone squawks at me about road safety etc etc - we have these blasted things everywhere in the UK, and people still die on the roads. We still drive like idiots, suffer from road rage, overtake where we shouldn't....

If Cyprus becomes like Britain, it will break my heart.
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:47 pm Agree 100% Bograt. One of my many reasons for leaving the UK was the surveillance society that it had become.

I realise that surveillance camersas can help solve crimes and nail suspects, but it's amazing how Cyprus and the USA (to give but two examples) manage perfectly well without wall-to-wall cameras.
I just drove into Brighton. On the roads into the city are signs that proudly declare "This City is under surveillance 24 hours a day". Is Brighton a safe, litter free city, with zero tolerance to speeding cars? Hell no!
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Do I hate big brother tactics, probably .............. until I need them to aid my case! Have you seen the recent video of a woman pushed in front of a bus by a jogger?

Shane
emgee

Post by emgee »

Very cynical of you HinC, but sooooooooooo correct!

Alan
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

ApusApus wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:38 pm Do I hate big brother tactics, probably .............. until I need them to aid my case! Have you seen the recent video of a woman pushed in front of a bus by a jogger?

Shane
They haven't actually caught the bloke yet, so the cameras weren't very effective anyway. The only decent pic seems to have originated from inside the bus.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Dominic

The police have arrested a 41 year old man at a Chelsea address in connection with the Putney Bridge incident. It appears that following the incident the man crossed the bridge again on the opposite side of the road some 15 minutes after the incident.

Rita
Last edited by Rita Sherry on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes I read that the lady he pushed tried talking to him when he went back as well. It all sounds a bit surreal.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

So I guess then the cameras were of some help!

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hard to say. Police say the arrest was made after a tip off from a member of the public.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Not really! The report on the Beeb website says that "CCTV of the incident was issued earlier in the week in an effort to trace the jogger after police attempts to establish his identity had failed" so I think it's safe to assume that a member of the public recognised the jogger from the footage & reported him.

And as I inferred before, I would love a society where we don't need CCTV surveillance ............. unfortunately, we don't live in one yet!

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

ApusApus wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:43 pm Not really! The report on the Beeb website says that "CCTV of the incident was issued earlier in the week in an effort to trace the jogger after police attempts to establish his identity had failed" so I think it's safe to assume that a member of the public recognised the jogger from the footage & reported him.

And as I inferred before, I would love a society where we don't need CCTV surveillance ............. unfortunately, we don't live in one yet!

Shane
More likely they recognised him from the much clearer picture taken inside the bus.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Management would like to recommend that people don't post detailed descriptions of their home security systems online. :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:33 pm Oh Lloyd...calm down for goodness sake..have you been to Napa recently? Google stabbing in Ayia Napa...of course Cyprus is a safe place to live and holiday...but I am sorry things are changing and sometimes for the worse...but thankfully still fairly rare...Bar street in Paphos...been there recently? .I personally have no fear in regard to the prolification of CCTV, and if it helps the over streached police to catch felons then yes....Paphos old town renovation, vandals ripping up newly planted trees? Fire bombing of premises...of cars and other premises/property..sometimes Captured on CCTV...it's a Deterrant...you are in favour of progress, new builds, new marinas, improvements..well I am afraid all that progress comes at a price...you really think we are immune to the crimes being committed in regard to fake accidents? Fake Collisions ? And since Cyprus joined the EU, can you really say crime has not increased, you have security systems on your property, even bars on you Windows? Possible cctv, perhaps not your villa but I bet it is deployed in Secret Valley...why? Because Cyprus is not the idyllic island it was once perceived to be...pretending it does not exist and it is not getting worse is stupidity...the authorities know this and are reacting....good on them.
How would traffic cams have helped with those trees? They were in a pedestrianised area, weren't they?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:00 pm
Hudswell wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:09 pmCCTV is a fact of life as are traffic cameras...and whilst it is a shame to have them....they are needed and do assist the police in many circumstances...

Please illustrate where CCTV is needed in Cyprus. Are there trouble hot-spots you know of, that I don't? Rowdiness at night as people are turfed out of pubs and clubs? How often do you hear of muggings here, or knife-related crime? Thankfully Cyprus is still a very safe, family-orientated environment...and agression and serious crime are incredibly rare. Long may it stay that way. And no thank you, we don't need CCTV here - dashcams or not.
Good post
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Oh Hudswell......calm down for goodness sake....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

ApusApus wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:43 pm Not really! The report on the Beeb website says that "CCTV of the incident was issued earlier in the week in an effort to trace the jogger after police attempts to establish his identity had failed" so I think it's safe to assume that a member of the public recognised the jogger from the footage & reported him.

Shane
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ar-suspect
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Sorry Dominic, not sure what point you're trying to make here! Anyway, the jogger may or may not be found but the fact remains that with CCTV footage they may be ................. without it they almost certainly will not!

Shane