Cold this afternoon!!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Poppy

Cold this afternoon!!

Post by Poppy »

According to two weather forecasts it is supposed to be 16 degrees today. I'm sure they have it wrong as here in Peyia there is an icy wind and it feels more like 8 degrees!!
Cactuslil

Re: Cold this afternoon!!

Post by Cactuslil »

Yes it's a really bitterly cold wind & the car was only registering 11 deg. I don't know what's happened to "weather underground" site, it was always so accurate but it's been showing some weird things recently.
Houdinibun

Post by Houdinibun »

Just returned to Polemi from Paphos, it was about 16 degrees down in town but very windy so not really feeling like it and up here is is only about 5 degrees. According to my car that is!!
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

"Tis 16C here in Paramali but with the windchill it must be only about half that as it is blowing a gale. Still the rain has held off and Weather Underground keeps moving its arrival later and later . Looks a bit better next week with the wind finally moving to the SW again after all this northerly stuff. Mind you as you say their forward forecasts have been quite inaccurate since before Christmas.
Cheers Mike
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Well weather underground must have been reading this post as it is now showing 11 degrees!!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

My max forecast for today was 15°C but we maxed at 14.1°C. A strong S wind gives windchill; it maxed at 11.3 m/s at 11.27 but the last-hour gust was 9.0 m/s at 15:37. The THSW figure, at the moment, is about 10.0°C for 12.2°C real temp.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Austin7 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:40 pm
Mike J wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:29 pmStill the rain has held off and Weather Underground keeps moving its arrival later and later
Are you allowed to criticize Weather Underground on this forum, you certainly weren't allowed to on CL :?: :shock: :lol: :lol:
I was never allowed to criticize Weather Underground on CL - even when I could prove that accu weather was the better
forecast...... in Summer is always easy to forecast in CY.

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I should think that it has been difficult to forecast 100% accurately due to the very unsettled weather picture! But on the whole I think that weatherunderground has got it right! You do need to bear in mind that there must be sundry micro climates in the Paphos area! I always get the weather for the airport which I find is usually pretty accurate. Today, I got the weather for Tala as well, which seemed accurate to me. Incidentally wunderground forecast accurately the long dry period from late morning through the afternoon. It was in fact much better than their original forecast which had said rain all day!

Dee
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Re feeling chilly: Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly. But when they lit a fire in the craft, it sank, proving once and for all that you can't have your kayak and heat it.

A.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Right old storm now! Thunder bolt made our dogs jump a mile - us too, lightning and hail!!
Oh heck it is my turn to take the dogs out on their last walk lets hope it stops by 10.00pm!!
sueb

Post by sueb »

Phew! That was a storm! Hail stones.

Our electric went off- yes only ours all other properties in front and behind us were on.
Trip the main board. Joy. This has been the second power cut since arriving on the 15th December.
All to be expected for the time of the year.

Bring on the sunshine please. At least the rest of the week looks better.
Happy to be back on the Island!
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Poppy wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:26 pm Right old storm now! Thunder bolt made our dogs jump a mile - us too, lightning and hail!!
Oh heck it is my turn to take the dogs out on their last walk lets hope it stops by 10.00pm!!
Hi poppy, where do you live? Thunder, lightning and rain here in Peyia as well, but didn't notice hail.
Louise :)
sueb

Post by sueb »

It was me who mentioned about hail Louise.

Just above the football pitch. They were noticed as hubby went out to turn the trip switch back on. The size of moth balls.
Happy to be back on the Island!
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Thanks Sueb. Also Poppy mentioned hail, but didn't mention where it was.
Louise :)
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Hail/thunder/lightning - and a power trip while I was typing this - her in Pissouri!

There are 6" deep hailstone drifts in the garden! :shock:
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

We live here in Peyia Louise! Just up from the Stadium on the other side behind Britannia Kiosk. The hail did not last long but it did happen!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

We certainly had thunder/lightning, heavy rain, followed by a heavy shower of hail stones yesterday eveniing. I heard them clattering on the clay tiles on the roof! Sure enough this morning there was a pile of frozen hail stones which looked like snow in the garden as it was in a shaded place it was still there this afternoon. It has not been anywhere near the 16 c which had been forecast. At least not here in Kamares/Kili.

Dee
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Austin7 I thought I would just test the water and it seems you can . How refreshing, perhaps I can put the rose tinted glasses away when talking about Cyprus too . Beautiful day today walking in shirtsleeves for the first time since well before Christmas but quite a storm last night.

Cheers

Mike