Local Exchange Rate

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Local Exchange Rate

Post by Dominic »

Anybody know what the local exchange rate is for currency exchange in Paphos. Somebody was asking on the Paphos Life facebook page.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Robert

Re: Local Exchange Rate

Post by Robert »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:30 pm Anybody know what the local exchange rate is for currency exchange in Paphos. Somebody was asking on the Paphos Life facebook page.
On another forum it's being quoted as 1.12 at the Harbour this afternoon.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes, it was that a week ago too. They are not due until September though, so who knows what the rate will be by then...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
June

Post by June »

If they check the mid-market rate on a website like XE currency etc the rate of exchange downtown near Cydive is usually 2 cents less.
I always buy as few Euros in the UK as I will need for the first day, bring Sterling and exchange there
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Just a thought here, but do any local shops and restaurants etc accept GB£ notes at a decent rate, like they do in Adinkerke, Belgium (Tobacco village, just over the border from France, 38 miles from Calais car ferry)?

There, they seem to deal at a very fair median rate, even when filling up your car with fuel... My last trip, 4 weeks ago, I didn't take (nor did I need) any € at all.

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that's wishful thinking on your part, Al. Shops here will usually only accept Euros!

Dee
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Thanks, Dee. But I do remember one particular eat-in takeaway restaurant just down the road from where I was staying in June 2003 who was happy to exchange a large lump of GB£ for CY£ when we next came over in August for my daughter's Wedding.

He agreed the prevailing daily median rate, and was as good as his word when we went down there for a nice Cypriot nosh on our first night in August. Remember that many local Pafos business owners also have family here in UK. So this kind of deal makes sense on both sides, cutting out the greedy middlemen banks on forex!

Cheers- AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...