Forum

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
STELIOSBWFC

Forum

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Seen a few posts bickering about PP and stuff and who can post. Dom does a great job and wants to move forward on this forum. Max, Trev and others contribute to good topics. Max Saturday fish day is great. Not as good as fish and chip day in Salford of the 70's when you took your own dish to the Chippy. Al as a Luton lad you will not understand. Mushy peas and pey wet.
geoffreys

Re: Forum

Post by geoffreys »

I like the first line of your post.
But what is all the rest of your post all about..Max, F&Cs etc??
Geoff.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

geoffreys wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:07 am I like the first line of your post.
But what is all the rest of your post all about..Max, F&Cs etc??
Geoff.
Max had posted a few times about the delicious fish lunches he has on saturday. Al is rather envious.
STELIOSBWFC wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:35 am Seen a few posts bickering about PP and stuff and who can post. Dom does a great job and wants to move forward on this forum. Max, Trev and others contribute to good topics. Max Saturday fish day is great. Not as good as fish and chip day in Salford of the 70's when you took your own dish to the Chippy. Al as a Luton lad you will not understand. Mushy peas and pey wet.

With regards to people arguing, the easiest way to avoid that is to stay out of the politics section. :lol:

It was suggested a few months ago that there should be inter-forum competitions, like a quiz night, or a footy game. It wouldn't work though, because a proportion of posters are regulars on more than one forum. It would be like pitting brother against brother. The fallout would be immense. On a more serious note, however, I think multiple forums are beneficial to everybody. The posters who post on more than one forum create a mesh of forum knowledge, making the entire forum ecosystem bigger. It's a bit like being in Europe, to use a completely non-contentious analogy. :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dominic

We don't argue in the political sections, we debate ;)

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

STELIOSBWFC wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:35 am Al as a Luton lad you will not understand. Mushy peas and pey wet.
Au Contraire, Stelois! Here in Luton, we can still have tins of Mushy Peas in the larder for under 50p from Tesco!

On a Friday evening, should I fancy it, I can have Fish 'n Chips (from the freezer) and Mushy Peas, plus a couple of buttered soft or crusty rolls, all for around £1 (€1-18)

That's including the other vital add-ons, like Tesco lemon juice on the fish, Tesco salt, pepper and vinegar, Tesco British salted or unsalted Butter...

Call me a tight-arse if you will, but many peeps here in UK are now slimming down to these kind of daily food budgets, in order to survive! Another idea is two cans of Tesco Chillie con Carne @ total £1-10. Then a pack of 6 soft or crusty rolls @ 65p, both from Tesco. This is two days or more of decent grub for around 88p per day!

Eat well, and prosper! AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Food yummy Food.gif
Food yummy Food.gif (27.98 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
Excellent news PA. my wife is very good at shopping in the right place at the right time. We eat in most of the time and it averages out at €8.00 per day on food. The point is we eat well. On those odd occasions when we do eat out we are selective on the restaurant and on the food. Usualy at around €18.00 a head inclusive of drinks. So no you are not a tight-arse. Just a very thrifty spender.
All things are possible
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

When I lived in London, the only thing more perplexing than the local population's love of pie, mash and liquor, were the Irish contingent, and their love of bacon, cabbage and potatoes.

At least the cockneys had the liquor for gravy. Bacon, cabbage and potato was totally dry though! It was the most unappetising thing I had seen.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Quote by Dominic: It was suggested a few months ago that there should be inter-forum competitions

Whoever that person was he still thinks it a good idea :D
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:12 pm When I lived in London, the only thing more perplexing than the local population's love of pie, mash and liquor, were the Irish contingent, and their love of bacon, cabbage and potatoes.

At least the cockneys had the liquor for gravy. Bacon, cabbage and potato was totally dry though! It was the most unappetising thing I had seen.
Hi Dominic

Am interested to know what part of London you lived in with all this local cuisine, and when? X
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

PaphosAL wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:41 pm
STELIOSBWFC wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:35 am Al as a Luton lad you will not understand. Mushy peas and pey wet.
Au Contraire, Stelois! Here in Luton, we can still have tins of Mushy Peas in the larder for under 50p from Tesco!

On a Friday evening, should I fancy it, I can have Fish 'n Chips (from the freezer) and Mushy Peas, plus a couple of buttered soft or crusty rolls, all for around £1 (€1-18)

That's including the other vital add-ons, like Tesco lemon juice on the fish, Tesco salt, pepper and vinegar, Tesco British salted or unsalted Butter...

Call me a tight-arse if you will, but many peeps here in UK are now slimming down to these kind of daily food budgets, in order to survive! Another idea is two cans of Tesco Chillie con Carne @ total £1-10. Then a pack of 6 soft or crusty rolls @ 65p, both from Tesco. This is two days or more of decent grub for around 88p per day!

Eat well, and prosper! AL ;)
Hi Al hope you are well. Funny reply. I was just saying that you may not have mushy peas in chip shops in Luton as I thought it was cloggs and braces stuff. Pey wet is pea juice over chips with scraps, which is the batter bits from fish. Had rock eel chips and a wally in London once. Pie mash and liquor had it once and it was nice. Lets start a food in the area that is local to you discussion . I will start with a rag or steak pudding.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

aphrodite wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:04 pm
Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:12 pm When I lived in London, the only thing more perplexing than the local population's love of pie, mash and liquor, were the Irish contingent, and their love of bacon, cabbage and potatoes.

Hi Dominic

Am interested to know what part of London you lived in with all this local cuisine, and when? X
I've lived in a fair few places in London. I started out in lofty Knightsbridge, as I went to University at Imperial College, which is next to the Science Museum. Then Fulham, Gloucester Road, Kingston, Norbiton, Tolworth, Stratford,Balham, Downham and finally Muswell Hill.

Most of the Pie and Mash witnessed was in Downham (between Catford and Bromley). Most of the bacon, cabbage and potato was witnessed in Balham. I was dating an Irish girl at the time though, which would have some bearing on my choice of watering hole at the time.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:24 pm
aphrodite wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi Dominic

I've lived in a fair few places in London. I started out in lofty Knightsbridge, as I went to University at Imperial College, which is next to the Science Museum. Then Fulham, Gloucester Road, Kingston, Norbiton, Tolworth, Stratford,Balham, Downham and finally Muswell Hill.

Most of the Pie and Mash witnessed was in Downham (between Catford and Bromley). Most of the bacon, cabbage and potato was witnessed in Balham. I was dating an Irish girl at the time though, which would have some bearing on my choice of watering hole at the time.
Bacon ribs and cabbage was a meal we had as kids. My Dad would drink the water that the cabbage had been boiled in with pepper.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I'm surprised anyone that lived in Downham could afford a take away or to eat out- I had relatives living there in the 50's and it was looked down upon by all of them, and we were from Bell Green gasworks country.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

By the 90s bits of it were being gentrified. It was certainly an interesting experience living there. I was an I.T contractor in the city at the time, renting a Maisonette in the middle of a semi-privatised council estate. Using backroads, it was a pleasant 10 mile cycle ride there and back each day.

The pubs were rough though. There was a shooting in the Downham Tavern the night before the local MP was due to visit. There must have been 400 people in the pub at the time, and when the police did their interviews, they were all in the toilet at the time of the shooting. That would have been one cramped toilet.

Once I got to know the locals there, they were far friendlier than people I met in more salubrious areas though. Some of the best laughs I ever had in my life happened in some of the pubs there.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Crikey, Dominic, 10 miles each way on a push bike every day? In all weathers?

To quote John McInroe: "You cannot be serious!"

AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It was the quickest way of getting to work! And they had showers at work, so I could get spruced up when I got there. I shaked off many a hangover in that fashion.

A colleague I worked with once saw me as I sailed past them on the way to work. They were in their van. They said the most galling thing was that they saw me stop at a newsagent to buy a packet of fags, and light one, as I cycled off again. Yet I still got to work quicker than them.

Best journey though was cycling from Balham to the city. I had to go round the Elephant and Castle Roundabout then. The only way to do that was to peddle at full pelt and show no fear...
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I often cycled from my home town in Heywood, Lancashire into Manchester when I worked in the CIS building...
Much faster than the bus although there was one sod of a hill on the way home - a very long hill but short and steep on the outward journey. I had a ten gear racer then, mid 1970s. I loved that bike... When the car drivers cut me up on Cheetham Hill Road, I would pull alongside and bang on their roof at the passenger side with my fist. Scared the shit out of them 😃
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

Dominic, we must have passed each other in the street a few times! We have lived in New Malden for 50 years but, stranger still my, husband was born in a house on the Downham estate 77 years ago. I met him when I moved to Sundridge Park Working Men's Club where my dad was the steward in between owning a pub.

We still own the house as his parents bought it so still go there occasionally. Your comment about the Downham Tavern made him laugh. Brommerz, I don't know why it was looked down on. 80 years ago these houses were given to hard working Londoners. My father in law was a fireman with the LFB.

Pat
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

Brommerz, you were not entirely wrong. My husband reminded me of this wall. Some people certainly looked down their noses at the new residents😀 The wall was there from 1926 until 1950. "The arrival of new people in the Downham area led to some unexpected results. In order to show their objection, in 1926 those who lived in Alexandra Crescent (at that time, a private street) built a dividing wall. This was because the wealthier private home owners in Bromley wanted to prevent the working class 'vulgar people' from the Downham estate from accessing the neighbouring middle-class area. They also wanted to prevent them from using this as an access route into the town centre of Bromley. It was across Valeswood Road at its junction with Alexandra Crescent and was known as a ‘class wall’. It was seven feet high and was fortified at the top with broken pieces of glass".